Any Old(s) Timers know what rear end?

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
dar83501

Any Old(s) Timers know what rear end?

Would be in the junker I'm picking up?

It's a 68 or 69 Ninety-Eight 4 door. Either way I'm going to pick it up for the 12 bolt, the engine & transmission, but i was just wondering if anybody would know if these came Positrack and what gearings they had. It'd just be nice to know if it's a posi or not beforehand, even though i'm going to crack the case open anyway.

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dar83501

It's a 68 or 69 Ninety-Eight 4 door. Either way I'm going to pick it up for the 12 bolt, the engine & transmission, but i was just wondering if anybody would know if these came Positrack and what gearings they had. It'd just be nice to know if it's a posi or not beforehand, even though i'm going to crack the case open anyway.
There should be a couple letters on the right side of the differential looking from the rea, that will tell you what the ratio is.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Past Administrator

I think you will find that the 12 bolt is not traction lock and is probably geared fairly low (numerically), it is an Oldsmobile 12 bolt, not a GM corporate 12 bolt. Monzas can probably give your more information than this.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Probably a 2.56 1 legger

Last edited by J-(Chicago); November 5th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
dar83501

I already know it's a division 12 bolt and not the GM one...It's going on another oldsmobile, i'm going to adapt the axle to use it.

I was afraid it'd be a one legger. I'll have to buy a posi unit most likely.

Thanks folks.

Old November 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Is it the one from the orchard?
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
dar83501

yep, it's the junker.

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Smile Positraction

Originally Posted by dar83501

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM

This quickest way to tell if it's Positraction is to jack up the rear axle and turn the wheel. If the opposite wheel turns in the same direction it IS Positraction. If it turns in the opposite direction it is a conventional differential.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
dar83501

I know how to tell if it's a positrack, I don't have the car yet and it's in a fruit orchard. I can't figure it out for sure till I get my paws on it, was just posting to see if anybody knew for sure.

Old November 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Go figure, I could use the mirrors off of it now.
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
dar83501

I still haven't picked it up yet... I had to loan a friend $100 to buy a jeep (for the purpose of thrashing around in the mountains and deer hunting). A worthy cause, I'd say.

A working college student can only save up for his vices so much at a time =(

I would say...that the car isn't gonna go anywhere though.

You need side and rear view, since you said mirror(s) ?

Because those ninety-eights only came with the driver's side mirror.

Old November 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Side view yes, I still need.

I found the rearview from my 72 delta today in the garage, so I don't need that one now.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
dar83501

When/if I pick up the junker I'll pull that mirror for you.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd appreciate that. Thanks.
If there is only one side view thats ok, two is better though.

and if you never get it, that's ok too. I'm gonna put the mirriors on my 85, which ironicly only had 1 mirrior option as well.

Also, this classicoldsmobile member is looking for all of the trim pieces from one of those cars I think.
Perhaps you guys could work something out. He's in Australia so I don't think he's going to find one in his local fruit orchard
mail to:dylaan@aapt.net.au
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
waterfield68Olds.jpg (74.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by J-(Chicago); November 22nd, 2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
dar83501

Thanks J, I'd be more than happy to help him out if I can, he'll have a unique ride in Australia I bet!

I just got my direct deposit paycheck like fifteen minutes ago, and i can't pay all my bills this month since i missed like four days of work due to the flue...looks like it's time to go pawn my guitar and sell some non-essential car parts =(

Also, I've decided not to pull the rear axle/diff and try to adapt it...My Olds man found a place that sells 12 bolt posi complete setups with disc brakes and whatever gearings i choose for not too bad of a price, and they pretty much bolt right up to my G body...I think I'm going to go that route and save a LOT of trouble, but I'm still buying the junker for it's motor. 'Twould be a fierce shame to lose another block to the crusher. It's just gonna be another month or two till I get my hands on it, and then Josh and I will pull the block and the tranny while we freeze to death in our unheated shop.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Oh I know the joys of an unheated shop.

I made a 55 gallon drum into a wood burning stove and it works great, it sucks down wood like crazy though.

Let me know if you wanna make one.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
dar83501

Well, our shop is a really big converted storage unit...So I don't know if the land lords would appreciate us lighting a big fire in their storage unit...but it does sound nice and warm.

We're thinking about a space heater or two, since the units are insulated, we can just shut the shop door. heh.

Additionally, wal-mart has some really cozy looking carhart coveralls that are like $50, we're thinking of getting a couple...they'd be really sweet for winter car work..and playing in the snow.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
dar83501

By the way, I'm still laughing about the fishbowl cowl induction comment.