The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum--acquiring an 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Old May 5th, 2014, 04:41 PM

New to the forum--acquiring an 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I am trading my 2003 Harley Vrod for this awesome specimen.
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a non-original 455/400 turbo. Many engine upgrades and the interior is 95 percent redone. It is a no rust, beautiful paint job car.
And, as far as the previous owner can document it has 54,000 miles! This is one of the finest black paint jobs I have seen in a long time.
It takes me back to the day, when I was 18 and bought my first muscle car, a 1972 Cutlass S with a 455!
Can anyone tell me what the price on this would be if I were going to purchase one, he had it listed for 12,500.
Here is a link to a short video, sorry for the quality.

Last edited by jnaarnold; May 5th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, very nice car.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Welcome aboard! That's a nice ride. I seem to recall that if the odometer has turned over the numbers don't quite line up. You can use this site to get a ballpark idea of the value but the real question is...what is it worth to you? And if the paint is as good as you say, there's at least $7k.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1997/Oldsmobile

I talked the dealer down $1000 and still overpaid. And the money I'm putting into it is adding up. BUT I'm having the best time renovating my car and will take pride in my work while driving it. I figure I could spend $50 on a movie out with the fam or spend it on the car.
Enjoy the site, these are great guys with a vast amount of Olds knowledge and good senses of humor. Best forum I've joined by far
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome nice ride indeed!! The paint is like glass awesome job to whom painted it. As others say best forum on the internet, sense of humor is a bonus. Enjoy your new enclosed ride !!

Cheers Eric
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking car.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Good trade!
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM

Nice trade

As the owner of a 2005 V-Rod I'll say it was a rocket but the Cutlass is Much more attractive at the gas station ( because both spent lots of time there). PS I love Black cars! Enjoy it.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
As the owner of a 2005 V-Rod I'll say it was a rocket but the Cutlass is Much more attractive at the gas station ( because both spent lots of time there). PS I love Black cars! Enjoy it.

Yeah, I get way more looks with the Cutlass! The kids really enjoy cruising in it. Spent the day redoing a bunch of wiring the previous owner left way to unattended! Got my gauges working, correctly...the PO had a zip tie around the gauge cluster and hung it from the a/c switch.. :O. I also tuned on the Holley 4011 800 cfm carb. Cleaned the glass up. Lubed the window regulators and correctly installed the window stops, up and down. Installed passenger door weatherstrip, rear speaker. I washed the car Wednesday before church and already she needs another bath...that's the only thing I don't like about black!

Old May 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM

and another...
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:32 PM

Very nice ! Congratulations and enjoy !
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Make sure you use a good racing oil with the right amount of zinc in it. I use Brad Penn racing oil that is formulated for that year car, other brands are available. The new oils lack the zinc and the cam fails prematurely . You don't want that. Your paint is AWESOME. Wish mine was that nice. Mine is a ten footer. Lots of imperfections due to low quality paint application but it has won two first place trophies at large shows so I can live with it. I'll bet you get lots of questions and comments on your car as you drive it around.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Gary, unfortunately I don't drive it too much. I need tires very badly. And of course, with five kids all below the age of 17, money is tight. I have been looking high and low for maybe a wheel and tire combo deal.
I actually have a lot of 'stuff'...firearms and various hobby stuff I am considering selling so I can be able to drive this car!
I wanted to take my wife out for a 'date' night in it tonight, but the steel is showing in both the fronts!
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Forgot to answer your question on price value. Kelly Blue Book has a section that covers value on your car. It is online.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Justin

Very nice !! On the tires not sure where your located, but I bet if you call a few shops they can get you used tires for a fair price or check your local Craig's list.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Very nice !! On the tires not sure where your located, but I bet if you call a few shops they can get you used tires for a fair price or check your local Craig's list.
I have scoured every used tire shop for 14's...nada......I would really like to swap to 17's...money is the only issue right now....
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Justin

I understand totally I have six kids my self and bills lol luckily lately it's just been time and not much cash going into it.
Check out your local Craig's list all kids of stuff pops up maybe even a set of 17 that might be to your liking
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:23 PM

Beautiful, I love the slight rake, slick paint job..welcome
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Just be sure to check the front end for needed repairs. If both fronts are bald then you may need parts.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard.

Black is the only color that wasn't offered in the 1972 A body lineup from any of the GM divisions. But, it could be special ordered. Check your cowl tag to see if the PNT code is 19 19 or -- --. Nice looking car. Now we need some shots of the engine, and interior!

Is it just the pictures or does the car have a lean in its stance? Both of the last pics look like it leans to the passenger side. One thing that stands out to me is the headlight bezel on the passenger side. It's from a 1971 Cutlass. Needs to be blacked out like the drivers side to look right.

I just looked at Tire Rack and they have lots of 14" tires, even the popular 225/70/14's that are close to the original ones for your year.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Allan R will always steer you right. Any advise you get from him is legit. I cant believe I did not see the bezel color difference.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard.

Black is the only color that wasn't offered in the 1972 A body lineup from any of the GM divisions. But, it could be special ordered. Check your cowl tag to see if the PNT code is 19 19 or -- --. Nice looking car. Now we need some shots of the engine, and interior!

Is it just the pictures or does the car have a lean in its stance? Both of the last pics look like it leans to the passenger side. One thing that stands out to me is the headlight bezel on the passenger side. It's from a 1971 Cutlass. Needs to be blacked out like the drivers side to look right.

I just looked at Tire Rack and they have lots of 14" tires, even the popular 225/70/14's that are close to the original ones for your year.

Alan,
The car was actually a dark green prior to being repainted. It was painted correctly, jams, under hood, trunk jam and all. Part of me wishes it was green, but hey, the black is growing on me. I want to pin strip the side and the hood with silver/grey and was thinking of anthracite Torque Thrust II's w/ a machined lip.
The headlight surround deal was from the PO. He didn't know which way he wanted it. I agree, I prefer the black in it.
I believe the lean is just an optical. It looks perfectly level in my garage. The road does have a crown to it also.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I hear you on the black paint. It does look really sharp when it's clean. Remember Gino Vanelli? (Black Cars - look better in the shade). If you do go with a pinstripe (are you thinking the W29 striping?) I'd go with a single color instead of dual.

I like the wheel choice you mentioned, have you considered the M20 Black Low Offset? I read that your budget is tight right now, so wheels and tires will probably be some time down the road? If the ones on there right now are good, run them till the $$ comes in.

If you have a chance, check the tires manufacture date to make sure the rubber is still good - most manufacturers suggest max age of a tire for safety is 10 years. Here's a link showing how to check.

Did the PO also take care of the other safety issues, like brakes, exhaust, hoses/belts, fuel hoses (tank & front chassis) before he sold the car? There are so many things with a 42 year old car that need attention. Cosmetics is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I hear you on the black paint. It does look really sharp when it's clean. Remember Gino Vanelli? (Black Cars - look better in the shade). If you do go with a pinstripe (are you thinking the W29 striping?) I'd go with a single color instead of dual.

I like the wheel choice you mentioned, have you considered the M20 Black Low Offset? I read that your budget is tight right now, so wheels and tires will probably be some time down the road? If the ones on there right now are good, run them till the $$ comes in.

If you have a chance, check the tires manufacture date to make sure the rubber is still good - most manufacturers suggest max age of a tire for safety is 10 years. Here's a link showing how to check.

Did the PO also take care of the other safety issues, like brakes, exhaust, hoses/belts, fuel hoses (tank & front chassis) before he sold the car? There are so many things with a 42 year old car that need attention. Cosmetics is just the tip of the iceberg.

Actually did some maintenance today also, changed belts and checked a bunch of other stuff. Exhaust is stainless all the way out the back. I have been making a wish list on Summit Racing for Hotchkis suspension upgrades...

Oh yeah, single color pin stripe. The wheels you picked out were my second choice!

Other notables-big cam, big radiator, electric fan, electric fuel pump, gear drive, shift kit 3.73 gear, Mallory HEI distributor, Torker manifold, Hooker headers...
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Big cam = hard brake pedal. Hard to stop car. Will need to add vacuum pump to bring brakes back if large cam. 200.00 to 250.00. Engine builder can advise on this. P.S. oil with zinc is still needed even if you don't drive much.
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Good trade! Nice car man.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
It's a Cutlass.

beautiful ride, I think you did well on the trade.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:03 PM

welcome. nice car. are you in nc? Greensboro here.
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by BLUE72RAGTOP
welcome. nice car. are you in nc? Greensboro here.
Just around the corner from you in the High Point are...Archdale/Trinity to be exact. We can PM and maybe get together some time. Do you ever go to the cruise-ins in High Point?