The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

hello to all.

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2013, 02:59 PM

hello to all.

I am looking forward to this site for the following reasons,
just purchased a 64 olds dynamic 88
do not have any idea how I will get what I need and
hoping to learn from your past experiences.
bruce from sc.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome Bruce and congrats on your purchase. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Welcome to the club. Yeah let's have a look. Dave

69 442 convert
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Welcome from another 64 olds owner.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Welcome to CO

Pictures would be great. Post your general location. If someone with a parts collection is close you might get lucky with finding parts. Shipping parts can become costly if large and or heavy
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Welcome aboard
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Oldsdruid

Whatever reproduction there is will have to come from Fusick or possibly USA Parts Supply- most Olds vendors aren't doing the big car stuff.

Good rear bumpers are virtually non-existent and pricey when you find one. Other brightwork that has to be replaced will have to be either NOS ar dry western chrome.

Mechanical parts are not too difficult to find. You just won't find them at big chain auto parts stores. NAPA and CarQuest have always been good finding stuff for me.
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Welcome to the site. I"m sure you'll find someone on here to answer your questions.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Finding parts

I hate to say it, but E-bay is probably your best friend when restoring one of these land yachts!
I know, it seems like everybody bashes E-bay. But, more than 90 percent of the hard to find parts of my car (63 Dynamic holiday 2 dr) have been found on e-bay. Yes, there are sellers out there that think everybody is rich and want ridiculous prices. But if you can hold out long enough someone will come along with the same item much cheaper.
I would suggest setting up an E-bay account if you don't already have one. Do a search on E-bay for "1964 Oldsmobile" It will probably bring up over 20,000 items. If you sort them by "time ending soonest" you will see all the stuff you will soon be missing . If you sort by "time newly listed" you will see all the stuff coming on the market. It would take you all day to read through all 20,000 items. I would suggest that you read at least 200 items on both ends of the list every day.
Another good thing to have is an Olds parts book. You don't have to buy one. http://www.gmpartswiki.com/browse offers a couple of Olds parts catalogs online. They also offer Chevy, Pontiac, and Buick catalogs which can be used to cross reference parts which may interchange with those cars. If a part carries the same part number no matter which division catalog you find it in, then it is the same part. Parts catalogs will also tell you what range of years a particular part was used in and which models.
GM parts books aren't really hard to read at all, IF you start at the very first page. In the first few pages of every book is an explanation of the GM parts system. and the best ways to find part numbers.
Another good on-line source for not only parts books but also factory service manuals is http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/myhomeopen.cgi
Hope this helps. Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Jones; June 30th, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Add title
Old June 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Welcome. Gotta love the 394 engine!
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:37 AM

thanks for all responses

hello, just had to check in because have not been on line for some time, been working on implements for haying and am now done with that and waiting for it to stop raining! I have driven the 64 olds back into the garage and put it back on the hoist. I wanted to check the brakes and replace them, I find that I am going to get a different kind of puller for front hubs, I got the backs off with no problems and did not need a puller. the brakes were like mush in the rear so I am expecting the same in front.

I will also would like to thank you all for the info and links, I am sure that when I learn more about the web site it will get easier. I will attempt to get some pictures up as soon as I can. she is in really good shape for it's age and not much rust. well looking forward to read and learn after all this is the first restoration for me and the wife.
bruce
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM

tried to do pics.

well it must be that learning curve thing, I could not upload pics, would not accept format from sim card. any suggestions?
bruce
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM

You should watch the new Overhaulin' episode where they restore a Dynamic 88. Might give you some inspiration.
Overhaulin Season 6 Episode 9 link
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

Back off the brakes

Originally Posted by bstott
. I wanted to check the brakes and replace them, I find that I am going to get a different kind of puller for front hubs, I got the backs off with no problems and did not need a puller.
You should not need a puller for the front drums!
The brake adjustment for the brake shoes must be backed off all the way for the drum to be removed.
The best way to back off the brake adjustment is as follows;
1. Locate the brake adjustment slot on the bottom of the backing plate. It will be an oval shaped hole and may be covered by a rubber plug.
2. Get two screwdrivers, a very small one (like they used to give away free) and a large one, as well as a small flashlight.
3. Look through the adjustment hole and you will see a "starwheel" (looks like a small gear). Behind that starwheel there is a metal plate that contacts the wheel.
4. Put the small screwdriver through the hole and contact this plate and push it away from the starwheel . Hold this plate away from the wheel while turning the starwheel.
5.Insert the larger screwdriver into the hole and put the tip on one of the teeth toward the top of the wheel, Pry the wheel downwards, turning the outside of the wheel away from the center of the axle. Repeat until the brake is backed off all the way or you can easily remove the hub and drum by hand. The hub and drum come off together, after removing the spindle nut, washer & outer bearing.
If everything is rusted and the starwheel will not turn, then try soaking everything you can reach through the hole with PB Blaster. Be patient, It may take several days of soaking to loosen the parts up.
If you still can't remove the drum, then you may have to get some kind of puller and force the drum off. If you do this you will most assuredly ruin the brake shoes and probably the backing plate and maybe the drum. As well as other parts.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; July 1st, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Welcome, you have no problem finding help here, they will point you in the right direction to answer all questions, good Luck...
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM

Welcome to the site. I really like the full size 64's. I agree w/ Charlie about ebay, I've bought a lot of stuff and been mostly happy. Another thing you can do to narrow your search is put on -fits after 1964 Oldsmobile (Or whatever you're searching for) it takes out things like floor mats or valve stems,etc --"1964 Oldsmobile -fits"