The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

clock

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2011, 03:22 AM

clock

Hello everyone,
This is my first thread on the site. I am looking for a working clock in very good condition for a 72 Cutlass Supreme. Would anyone be able to help me out. I have read many of the comments and am very impressed with the tips that have been suggested. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can guide me along as I finish my restoration project.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Oldsdruid

The 70-72 clocks are identical. Do you want an original points-type clock or a quartz conversion?

If you can find a cosmetically good clock, converting it to quartz is the way to go IMHO but you will have to have a Borg clock. The General Time versions don't convert well to quartz. The manufacturer will be on the back of the clock.
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I see rocketraider has you going in the right direction.
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Registered Loser

I collect car clocks & would be interested to know if there was any rhyme or reason as to which cars got which type of clocks.. Was it done by assembly plant maybe (like...did General Time supply the Lansing, Flint, Janesville, Detroit-area plants) or was it completely random?

I've noticed many styles of GM clocks had both Borg and GT movements...and I'm pretty sure the rear cases of some of these things were different also (but I'd have to check to be sure).

Were the clocks assembled into their cases by GT/Borg also? I find it interesting that a lot of non-GM clocks I have have GT movements in them. I'm probably the ONLY one here who finds this interesting, ha-ha!
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. If you don't find a clock, re-post the request in our parts wanted forum.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Try this fellow good work and very helpful cheers
http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Clocks in cars are supposed to work?
I thought you just set them to the year of the car?
It's always six minutes to eight in my GTO and seven minutes to one in my Vista Cruiser.
I don't know what you would do in 2000 models?

The Flintmobile has a sundial, when the sun is out that always works.
The Borg are on Star Trek? Do they make clocks too?
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Oldsdruid

Joel, I don't think there was any set pattern. Just whichever supplier had made a delivery is what the car got.

I'm not sure what difference there is in Borg vs GT that one readily converts to quartz and the other doesn't.

Blue- I have taken clocks apart, sanded the points with an ignition file, juiced the works with a little WD40, and kept many of 'em running that way. The one in the Cruiser wagon has been running steadily for over ten years now since I did that, and we got one in my buddy's 66 Starfire going too. Just having trouble regulating that one- it likes to run a little fast.

Never could figure how to get the digital rollover clock in the Regency going. Seems like nobody else knows either, so I put an ETR clock radio in it and a clock blankoff plate.
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Clock

Thank you all for the suggestions and the warm welcome. At lease I know a little more of what i am looking for. I had a clock converted to quartz in my other 72 Hardtop in 1991 and it still keeps perfect time today. Will post some pics of the cars.