The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another Newbie.. :-)

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Another Newbie.. :-)

Hey Guys,

Well I just purchased my first Olds, its a 1970 Cutlass Supreme, Its actually in really good driver condition which is what i was looking for, it does have the 350 with the 4 barrel and all in all is a solid car. I am in the process of changing a few things the previous owner did as they were not to my liking and i want to get it back to some of its original state. But I am looking forward to gathering as much information as possible from everyone and hope to have the car out on the road soon!..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
car2.jpg (131.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
car1.jpg (109.6 KB, 30 views)
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. You have come to
the right place.
Very nice car btw.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; May 14th, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice car. Personalization is what this hobby is all about, whats the plan?
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by kramer70cutlass
I am in the process of changing a few things the previous owner did as they were not to my liking and i want to get it back to some of its original state.
Welcome aboard!

Your car originally had the wide lower body trim from front to back. Look at the wheel opening moldings and you'll see they are the 'shorty' versions needed for this trim. The good news is it's all repopped now, unfortunately it's also expensive. You might find some good used trim for less. The trim looks like what's in this picture and was only offered on 70/71 CS models.

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome!
Have trim and wheel mouldings for your car if interested....pm me if you want

Nice looking CS!
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the information so far, well im still digging in and figuring out what I want to do with it, This is actually my first "muscle" car as i also own a 1987 GTA Trans am Convertible, and used to have a 2003 ford mustang GT before it had a unplanned run in with a large puddle. The biggest things I am doing while I am waiting for my collector plates are just getting it driver ready, it does look like it was hit in the rear as there were quarter panels put on it at some point, and has some dings and dents i need to figure out what to do with. But there are just some cosmetic things i am working on now as the previous owner was going for what looks like a red and black theme by the spray painted bumpers that were on the car, when I bought in it came with a decent quality driver chrome rear bumper, and now i am on the hunt for the same for the front. I am also working on the re-conditioning of tail light sockets and such now, I had the back up light housings sand blasted, repainted and just overall cleaned up. I am going to do that with the tail light housings as well, sand blasted and such. I did have to put a new gas tank in it already as the one was in there leaked and was repaired with fiber glass. Also need to put the center console back together with the gear indicator and such, but for now its just the little things to get it to enjoy this summer and then maybe take some time to do some body work next summer. I was thinking about going the pro-touring route with it, but really like the way it stands right now, just has that old school muscle car stance and just looks tough.

But I look forward to getting ideas off this site as well.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Welcome to the site. I believe you'll find this site very informative. I know I've learned a lot in the short time I've been a member, and I am still learning.
BTW, very nice Cutlass. Congrats!
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:05 PM

Nice car. The parts section may help if you need anything. The parts wanted section will help too. I have had very good luck with parts and advise here. Welcome aboard.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Welcome and looks like a fun driver as you described This forum has been a wealth of info for me. The quarters may have been replaced due to rust instead of an accident, so poke around underneath to see if there are any lingering issues from either scenario. Not sure, but don't think those road hugger tires have been made for many years. Check the DOT date code and consider replacing if > 10 years old.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Welcome to CO! X's3 on checking the date code on the rubber, could be a life saver! Nice lookin' Cutlass.