Real wood arm rest base prototype

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2012, 05:04 AM
72 Olds CS

Real wood arm rest base prototype

well kinda like the chrome paint on plastic arm rest base thread, I wanted to improve my arm rest bases with out spending the money on new arm rest bases.

I could spend the $50 or so to replace mine but really I could better spend that money on stuff that 'needs' replacing or repair rather than cosmetics. (read my family budget is cutting into my cutlass budget)

SO after weeks of me grousing how bad the bases looked with peeling/missing chrome and cracks and everything else my buddy said give me one of those things Ill see what i can do. heres what he came up with theyre only suppposed to be the prototype but I liked em and put them on right away. The stain color isnt a perfect match but the base is pretty great especially compared to what was on there. The pass side pic makes it look more orangey than it is because of the flash, but overall I like it. if the look wears on me Ill give the chrome paint a try on the old bases

give me your opinions good or bad !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
arm rest base orginal.jpg (359.0 KB, 56 views)
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM

They would look even better if done with walnut instead of stained pine... the grain would match the faux veneer MUCH better.... but I am a woodworker and the grain not matching stuff drives me nuts! Maybe I'll do something along those lines with mine... (OH NO! another MAW!)
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Excellent idea - I like it!
Looks like it matches up pretty well judging by the far away shot. Hope you put some sort of clear protectant stuff on them so they do not discolor from skin oils over time.
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
They would look even better if done with walnut instead of stained pine... the grain would match the faux veneer MUCH better.... but I am a woodworker and the grain not matching stuff drives me nuts! Maybe I'll do something along those lines with mine... (OH NO! another MAW!)
OK Dave you got me there... we're not wood workers but we are a couple guys w hammers LOL. Youre right tho walnut wouldlook better, tell you what whip me up a couple in walnut and Ill put them right in

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Excellent idea - I like it!
Looks like it matches up pretty well judging by the far away shot. Hope you put some sort of clear protectant stuff on them so they do not discolor from skin oils over time.
Hi Rob

yup he sealed it w something Poly ? maybe then rubbed wax on it. they look good but would be great if they matched exactly like Dave says

either way they are better than the broken plastic w peeling chrome

plus now my car is 1 of 1 (just like a hundred other cars out there )
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM

I like it!
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Did the floor and instrument panel on my ultralight airplane with book matched Birds-eye maple veneers... Looks sharp. Might want to use Waterlox finish on those. Seals really well and VERY easy to touch up when needed! (boat builders have used it since about 1910!)
pictures at www.sport-pilot.us click on Sorrel Hiperlight link...
Good concept!