General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Picked up a 1955 Olds 88 4 door

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:57 PM

Picked up a 1955 Olds 88 4 door

Well I've not had time to do much with the car stuff lately. But a couple months ago I looked at a possible parts car for the 1954 2 door hardtop project I picked up last year. The person who had it wanted the dash for a custom project he was working on. So after crawling over it I made a commitment to purchase the rest of the car when he got what he needed from it. I have a lot to learn about this vintage, but thought some of the stainless trim and maybe bumpers would interchange. Plus the '55 has the 4bbl engine, power steering and power brakes. If you look at the photos you'll see it has the special Fred Flintstone floorboards too! This past week he called me so I picked it up this morning. It may not be until next summer before I can put the two cars side by side and start identifying what can be used on the 1954. I really like the idea of a parts car as if I'm missing a fastener or some little do-dad I can walk over to the other car and pull it. Much preferred over scouring the internet trying to find the item holding up my project! John

P9221058_zps5ca64e4f.jpg

P9221056_zps2b8d8dfd.jpg

P9221057_zpsa7ea31df.jpg

P9221060_zps721c2de6.jpg

P9221064_zpsae290f69.jpg

P9221061_zps78477b10.jpg

P9221062_zpscf8b272c.jpg

P9221063_zps66428ec3.jpg

P9221059_zps6df2c983.jpg
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey John:

I would really be interested in whatever you can salvage from the under hood wiring harness. I had a little fire under the hood of the 54 a few months ago (I won't even go there and still can't talk about it). I don't know if I would replace the entire harness or just splice some sections into the existing harness.

Thanks

Glenn
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM

Hi Glenn
I'll check the 1954 and if the harness is there and usable then what's on the '55 is yours. I'm thinking the harness has connections on the engine, headlights, horns, etc. At least that's what the 68-72 under hood harness includes. Does that sound like what you need?

John
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

John:

Mostly what I need is the part at the firewall at the rear of the engine. All the stuff to the headlights and other asseccories is fine. I thing the best thing to do is to splice the burned part in. It will probably be best for me to take some pictures. My time in the USAF will continue to benefit me although it was many years ago.

Thanks for the rapid quick response and I will get some pictures

Glenn
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:18 AM

John.

I was drooling over that hood and I don't even need one any more. Old habits are hard to change.

That chrome hood lip looks to be in good shape and those are getting REAL HARD to find. I had several inquires when I was looking for my hood if I ended up with an extra. You might post that in parts for sale, then again you know the drill... Tedd
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
John.

I was drooling over that hood and I don't even need one any more. Old habits are hard to change.

That chrome hood lip looks to be in good shape and those are getting REAL HARD to find. I had several inquires when I was looking for my hood if I ended up with an extra. You might post that in parts for sale, then again you know the drill... Tedd
Ted, I was wishing I'd found this when you were looking for a hood! I see the 1955 has two ridges running down the top that the '54 does not. But that stainless strip looks the same and its nicer than whats on the 1954 so I'll likely swap it. The extra one will have a couple dings in it, but still driver quality. It also looks like the only difference between the front bumper/grill is the Oldsmobile letters were added. This also is nicer on the 1955. If I swapped the whole thing over I wonder how many people will know that's not the correct year Side stainless is nice although that's all different between the years, maybe the rocker one will interchange? The little grill under the wipers and around the front and back windshields look good. I need to check them out a little closer to be sure they interchange. The steering wheel is cracked but it has an insert that says POWER STEERING in it, kinda cool looking, is that a scarce item? I'm pretty clue-less when it comes to this vintage so anything you guys can give me a heads up on would be greatly appreciated!

John
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM

It's doubtful that the rocker panel molding would be a direct swap replacement parts do not list them as the same but I bet you could modify it and make it fit very easy, I know others have taken 55 98 rockers and adapted them to a 53 88.I don't know about the hood lip interchange or the wiper grill, never been there but they look the same. As far as the steering wheel goes I have a deluxe and have had a standard wheel and there is nothing on them about power steering so that may be rare others may know. In 54 there were steering wheels with a compass where the world emblem is on a deluxe and they are very cool.
Probably the steering wheel can be salvaged, epoxy will fill a multitude of sins and with a little sanding your wheel would look as good as new.....Tedd
Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting Tedd. I have never seen anything about the compass on the center of the steering wheel. I know that in 1950 they had a special horn ring that had a clock in it. When you turned the steering wheel, it would wind the clock. I have seen a couple of these things come up on ebay and they were crazy expensive. Do you know if it was an Olds accessory or aftermarket?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM

Nice score! Another Olds for me to check out next month!
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Interesting Tedd. I have never seen anything about the compass on the center of the steering wheel. I know that in 1950 they had a special horn ring that had a clock in it. When you turned the steering wheel, it would wind the clock. I have seen a couple of these things come up on ebay and they were crazy expensive. Do you know if it was an Olds accessory or aftermarket?
It looked original and very classy. As I remember it the unit was gold and the world would and spin in the center horn emblem. The car was at the Nationals in Reno so someone may have a picture of it . I saw it again at a show in Fort Bragg, it's home town, this year and the car was red and white much like mine but a hardtop 54......Tedd
Old September 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Take another look at the front bumpers and grills . There's a lot more difference than just the Oldsmobile letters , and I think the front end styling on the '55 is much cleaner. I had two '54s and a '55 Olds. I much preferred the 55 , and in my opinion Olds really hit their peak in '55 . In your case it sounds like your '54 is in better condition, so go with the one you like the most. In any case, good luck with your Olds !

Last edited by PetChemMan; September 28th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old September 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM

needing lil help on sum parts

Hi guys, glad to find a club i can join, i bought a 55 olds 88 2dr pretty good shape car. im gona drop a 454bb w 400 tranny. im looking for a fuel tank and a drum to disc brake converstion kit for the front. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM

I say sell the chubby and put an Olds in it.

IMO

Gene
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Here's some pictures of the steering wheel I'd mentioned. Has anybody seen one like this? Is it correct for a 1955 Olds 88?

P9291199.jpg

P9291201.jpg

P9291202.jpg

P9291200.jpg
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM

No, that's not a '55 Olds steering wheel. At least, it's not from a 1955 Super 88 Holiday 4 door hardtop like the one I used to drive. I cannot, however, tell exactly what car your steering wheel did come from. It doesn't look like the steering wheel I had on my '54 Olds 88 either.

Last edited by PetChemMan; September 29th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by captinmorgan81
Hi guys, glad to find a club i can join, i bought a 55 olds 88 2dr pretty good shape car. im gona drop a 454bb w 400 tranny. im looking for a fuel tank and a drum to disc brake converstion kit for the front. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Welcome to the site! It would help if you introduced yourself in the Newbie forum and if you have pictures of your car you can share that would be a good place to do it. I doubt gas tanks are being reproduced so you may have to find a used one. It also may be hard to get a used fuel tank shipped, so you may need to find something close by maybe on Craigslist. I'd encourage you to create a new post in the parts wanted section on this site.

Pat (citcapp) has both a 1948 and 57's that he's put newer drivetrain and parts on. You might ask him what he used for disc brakes. If you decide to go with an Olds 455 Pat can share details on what you need to do with motor mounts. If you go with a Chevy engine please discuss that in the Non-Olds powered forum. Many members are passionate about using Olds engines in these cars so we created that forum to provide a place to discuss it without conflict in other forums. Once again, welcome to the site!

John
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by PetChemMan
No, that's not a '55 Olds steering wheel. At least, it's not from a 1955 Super 88 Holiday 4 door hardtop like the one I used to drive. I cannot, however, tell exactly what car your steering wheel did come from. It doesn't look like the steering wheel I had on my '54 Olds 88 either.
Thanks for sharing. If nobody comments on it here I may need to make a new thread asking what it came on.

I was hoping a lot of trim parts would interchange. But if not I'll at least have some trade stock for what I do need. If you look past the steering wheel you'll see the dash has been removed and the floorboards are pretty rotton. The person I bought this car from is building a custom 1956 Buick with a 1957 Olds roof that has a slight chop and the 1955 dash. So to me this is just a parts car. Plus the 1954 is a 2 door hardtop and the 55 is a 4 door.

John
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:28 PM

That wheel looks a lot like the one in my 56 but not exactly. The two arms between the horn ring appear to be flat on yours where mine have a slight recess. Also my horn button has stars where yours has a map of north and south America. My car is also manual steering if that made any difference in the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_5790.jpg (79.4 KB, 37 views)
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM

About that steering wheel, I'd look online for interior photos of earlier models, such as '53 or '52 . Or, someone on this site can surely identify the wheel if they read your post.
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM

I'm glad you're going to save the '55 Olds, but it does hurt my feelings to put a Chevy motor in it ! It's kind of like seeing your mother-in-law drive off of a cliff in your newly restored classic car; mixed emotions !
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM

John that wheel looks like a regular deluxe 55 wheel except that power steering emblem. This may be a very rare part whether it is original or after market is the big question. Here is a deluxe wheel in comparison, I've never seen one like yours before...Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wheel of a 55 olds 001RS.jpg (64.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; September 30th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Hi guys, glad to find a club i can join, i bought a 55 olds 88 2dr pretty good shape car. im gona drop a 454bb w 400 tranny. im looking for a fuel tank and a drum to disc brake conversion kit for the front. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks
After you make your intro post in the newbie forum drop down to the vintage forum there is an extensive thread on a master cylinder disk brake conversion on a 55 posted by Olds Dad I think everything you could need will be there....Tedd
Old September 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

John:
A couple of things on this car that are really valuable are the powet steeing and the power brakes. When my late friend Richard Lau owned the 54, we bought a parts car that had both of these on it. To have all the pieces including the correct crankshaft pulley is unusual and it is hard to piece all that stuff together. The steering sector is big and the shaft comes out of it an runs all the way to the steering wheel. I had to build a crate for the thing to ship it to Chip at Power Steering Services. The power brakes are pretty much the same story. These parts are probably worth more than you paid for the car. I am not sure but I think the steering wheel is original.
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
John:
A couple of things on this car that are really valuable are the powet steeing and the power brakes. When my late friend Richard Lau owned the 54, we bought a parts car that had both of these on it. To have all the pieces including the correct crankshaft pulley is unusual and it is hard to piece all that stuff together. The steering sector is big and the shaft comes out of it an runs all the way to the steering wheel. I had to build a crate for the thing to ship it to Chip at Power Steering Services. The power brakes are pretty much the same story. These parts are probably worth more than you paid for the car. I am not sure but I think the steering wheel is original.
Thanks for the heads up Glenn. I'm sure I'll be selling the parts not being used on the 1954 and I really don't have any experience with this vintage.

John
Old September 30th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Looks exactly like the steering wheel in my 55. I don't have the power steering label, but then again I don't have power steering on my car.

9d3cbc85.jpg
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Railroad Mike

Question 55 olds parts

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Well I've not had time to do much with the car stuff lately. But a couple months ago I looked at a possible parts car for the 1954 2 door hardtop project I picked up last year. The person who had it wanted the dash for a custom project he was working on. So after crawling over it I made a commitment to purchase the rest of the car when he got what he needed from it. I have a lot to learn about this vintage, but thought some of the stainless trim and maybe bumpers would interchange. Plus the '55 has the 4bbl engine, power steering and power brakes. If you look at the photos you'll see it has the special Fred Flintstone floorboards too! This past week he called me so I picked it up this morning. It may not be until next summer before I can put the two cars side by side and start identifying what can be used on the 1954. I really like the idea of a parts car as if I'm missing a fastener or some little do-dad I can walk over to the other car and pull it. Much preferred over scouring the internet trying to find the item holding up my project! John
Don't know how many parts will work on the '54, but if you are interested in selling any thing, let me know (hothead@bellsouth.net). I have a '55 super 88 that I need some stuff for. I need the 88 emblems off the front fenders and the trim along the front of the hood. Also I would like the back up lights if you are not going to use them. Thanks. Mike Hollingsworth

Old January 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Hi, what are doing with the front bumper grill, iam interested the grill, and the window
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:42 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Thanks for the heads up Glenn. I'm sure I'll be selling the parts not being used on the 1954 and I really don't have any experience with this vintage.

John
Dear John,

I sent you an E-mail this morning. I am interested in your fenders, check your E-mail and maybe we can talk and set something up. Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:43 AM

any chrome still available?
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Switch Blade Betties
any chrome still available?
I replied to your PM

John
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM

That rare steering wheel probably came off a 1953 Olds Fiesta convertible.That's the only Olds I've ever seen with the "Power Steering" insert in the steering wheel. Larry
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
That rare steering wheel probably came off a 1953 Olds Fiesta convertible.That's the only Olds I've ever seen with the "Power Steering" insert in the steering wheel. Larry
I think you are correct about it being a 53 Fiesta, I PMed John a few weeks ago when I came across a closeup of a Fiesta wheel Very rare part for a very limited clientele.....Tedd
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:00 AM

Are these 50's 4 doors and early 60's 4 doors have some interest? I see a few around forsale
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick lists a steering wheel for the 53-54 with the power steering insert and they also list the insert. It is on page 16 of the catalog. Link is attached.

http://www.fusick.com/catfile/Catalog%20560.pdf

The parts car that my power steering came off of did not have the wheel though and John has a 55 with the wheel on it. Who knows.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
Are these 50's 4 doors and early 60's 4 doors have some interest? I see a few around forsale
Still not the interest of a 2 door, nor will you ever recoup the money invested in a 4 door. That being said I think the 50's cars are becoming more desirable than the 60's or it could be me being bios because of my love of the fifties.....Tedd
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
Bfg

Steering wheel

I had a 54 Ninety-eight and it had the power steering script on the wheel and I also have a 55 Ninety-eight with out the script. Maybe a early production 55 that was carried over from 54?

Last edited by Bfg; January 2nd, 2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Ad more info
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM

So to buy a 60's 4 door to part out isn't worth it then
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:30 AM

1955 oldsmobile 88

how much for the steering wheel the head light bezels and if you have shift lever and turn signal lever.
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:11 AM

You do realize this post is several years old? The last time someone asked this guy for chrome was 2013.
Old April 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM

Well, I haven't been moving real fast in getting this car parted and gone. I have sold the headlight trim and steering column with arms. I do still have the steering wheel and related parts. Please send me a PM or email with your shipping address and I'll provide the total costs of purchase plus shipping.

John

Quick Reply: Picked up a 1955 Olds 88 4 door