General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

B85 Belt molding

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM

B85 Belt molding

How rare is the belt reveal molding on the 70 -72 Cutlass S /442 body? These were standard on the Supreme but optional on the "S". Do any of you have them on your cars? I think it brightens up the car and makes the area look more finished - opinions? I'm thinking about them - the door ones should be easy to obtain as they could be obtained from a Supreme. The quarter ones must be difficult to locate. The best thing about them at least they don't pit as they are anodized aluminum I think. Anybody have a complete set or any of the quarter moldings? I imagine NOS are nearly impossible to find. I'm still not decided though. Most people probably wouldn't notice one way or the other.
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:46 PM
MOTORHEAD

I like the B85 trim that my gold 71 was ordered with. On the build sheet it reads B85 EXT BELT MLDG for the option. It does jazz up the appearance. I have an extra set of the trim from a supreme. The 2 rear quarter pieces to fit the s body style I do not have any extras of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4four2 004.jpg (107.1 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; January 16th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:11 AM

It is a rare option.

The factory anodized them.

When I restored my 442, I had mine stripped and polished.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Nice looking 442. mine, all in pieces is Saturn Gold as well, but with a white top, interior and stripes. I hope mine will look as good as yours someday. I'll keep you in mind for the door moldings if can locate any of the rear ones. These things are hard to describe. I think they are window sill moldings located on the top of the door/quarter. They do jazz it up.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:06 AM

One of our club guys had his B85 moldings stripped and anodized, I recall the correct fuzzies were hard to find.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:07 AM
MOTORHEAD

Here is a picture of what he is looking for. Wide shiny window fuzzy
They will come with the car if you want to buy it.
The exta set of wide shiny window fuzzies I have were on a 70 supreme.
Attached Images
B85 002.jpg (62.6 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; January 16th, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks, they do look great plus I like having something a little different factory wise. Now I'll have to try and find the back pieces first. I have a line on the driver side only.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:22 AM
MOTORHEAD

I wish you luck in your search. Try to find ones with good rubber sweeps on them and not badly scratched or dented.
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM

I looked in my stash, and I have a pair of the B85 rear window moldings for Cutlass, that I would like to sell.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
MOTORHEAD

dc2x4drvr question for you! Do you have some to fit on a cutlass S or convertible?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM

PM sent
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Patton (70post)and I worked on this situation seems all summer. I think he finally came up with a solution for the fuzzy WX strip piece. Still takes some altering. It was an ordeal!
AL
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM

I was looking in the Fusick catalog and they indicate the window sweeper kits (fuzzies) for the 68, 69 and 70 - 72 (different part numbers for each group) for cars with the B85 reveal molding. They list both Supreme and Cutlass / 442 coupe. Anybody tried these?
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I was the guinea pig for the Fusick B85 fuzzies.

They did not fit well.

Be prepared to do some tweaking to get them to fit decent.

PS - that is my 70 442 in the Fusick on line catalog.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Good to know. Thanks. It must be a lot harder than is obvious, as it seems a percentage of resto parts do not quite look like or fit like the originals. I presume its all about compromise cost vs. profit. On the surface from a layman's perspective what is the market for a part that doesn't look or fit like the original? Why not make it correct in everyway and know you can sell it as an accurate reproduction? I digress.

Are the alterations noticeable? Thanks.
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by shimmer
Patton (70post)and I worked on this situation seems all summer. I think he finally came up with a solution for the fuzzy WX strip piece. Still takes some altering. It was an ordeal!
AL

As Al (and Allan R as well on some other threads relating to this) mentions, we've been doing some digging. So far here's what I've found:

1) We started with Steele Products - if you look on their site you will see listings for the outer sweepers for use with the B85 molding (I think they just call it "with special molding" or something like that). I ordered a set and they WERE JUNK!! OOOOOPPPSSS...........

2)Should have read their website closer - they offer TWO different sweeper sets for the B85-equipped cars. I should have scrolled further down the page instead of picking up the phone and ordering the first thing I saw. They sell a "Standard" set---this is the junky set---I MEAN TERRIBLE (to the point where they shouldn't even be selling it as anyone that gets this set will laugh...can't be great for their business). Looks like some shoddy attempt to repro a part back in the late '70's or '80's. They must have a bunch of extras around otherwise I don't know why they even offer them.

3)Scrolled down...after getting the first set....there it is!!!.....an "Original" set. Costs more so it's gotta be better!! Called the salesman (Paul I think)....and asked him about these. He didn't add much to what their description on the site says but he was VERY HELPFUL through the whole process. Issued a RA# and UPS came and picked up the junky versions, credit card was credited back and they mailed the credit slip. He said they want the customers to be happy and he followed through on that.

4)Got the more expensive "Original" set - These look pretty nice.....now for the "fit" which I can't give all the details on since I haven't yet fully installed them on the alum moldings or on the car...but....

5)FIT - They match up well in terms of the overall curvature from one end of the moulding to the other (on the quarter glass moldings....the door moldings are straight).

-Length is correct.

-There's a riveted-on black plastic "tab" at each end of each quarter glass sweeper....originals have these and the repros do as well. Looks good BUT the backside of the rivet sticks out on the backside of the sweeper a bit more than the original rivet backside...causes the sweeper not to sit flush. Remedy is to clearance the alum molding to eliminate the interference with the rivet backside.

-The profile of the sweepers if VERY close to the originals. I think the metal insert inside the repro sweepers is SLIGHTLY THINNER compared to the original GM but not enough to worry about as once these sweepers are attached to the alum moldings it's not like they are subjected to any flexing, etc where metal thickness would mean something.

-The rubber flap/edge that rests against the glass (it does the "sweeping") is pretty flexible. Of course, my old ones are not as they are original and the rubber is pretty much hardened up now. My concern here is the thickness of the rubber sweeper flap....I swear it seems slightly thinner than the original but I don't have an NOS, flexible, original to compare it to. It's not enough of a concern for me to not install them....I don't think it will be a problem.

-The triangular mounting tabs are in the correct spots to attach them to the alum moldings. ONE THING TO NOTE - on these repros where the triangular tabs are punched through the edges of the traingular punched out areas (not the tab that you fold over but the rubber/metal on the molding body itself where this triangular tab was punched from) are slightly distorted...maybe it's the slightly thinner core metal that allowed this distortion.

The result of this slight distortion of the metal around the triangular tab holes is the sweeper doesn't fit perfectly flush to the backside of the alum molding triagular tab slots. I think some CAREFUL Dremel tool work or flattening of the distorted metal might take care of this.

With that said, Steele doesn't actually make these parts...they get them from the manufacturer. Steele makes A LOT of rubber related parts but not in this case.

Hard to describe it all without pics but I don't have time to take a bunch of detailed pics, etc right now and I'm not ready to go through with the complete install on a car as of yet. Can you just put them on "as is" and go with it?? Probably so. But a careful inspection and "mock up" will reveal these slight shortcomings and they are fixable with some time and effort is my bet and you'll end up with a much nicer fit.

Last edited by 70Post; January 16th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
dc2x4drvr question for you! Do you have some to fit on a cutlass S or convertible?

Thanks in advance!
They fit Cutlass S.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks for posting the info on these window sweeps (fuzzies). I'll keep the info you posted for future reference. I have to locate them first, but it will be a while down the road before the car will be ready for this item. By then you'll have your's installed and I can tap into your expertise again! This forum is such a help in sharing info. Thanks again.
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Patton- Can you advise the item number for the sweeps you got from Steel. I'm going to go for it. Your right onthe first selection. I did the same thing and you described them to a "T"
AL
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Bringing this back from the dead. Looks like Steele only lists the "standard" quality parts for the "special molding" these days. Anyone have a lead on where to get B85 sweeps?
Old March 25th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Try Restoration Specialty And Supply....that is who made the sweeper set I discussed above. Steele sent me Restoration Specialty's product. Pic below shows the bag, part number, etc. This is the better quality set I talked about. These are the OUTER sweepers and they attach to the anodized aluminum B85 trim pieces.

NOTE: The set I show is for a Cutlass "S" bodystyle - NON-post, NON-Supreme car. The door sweepers would be the same for a Supreme (hardtop or convert) BUT the quarter glass sweepers are different.
Attached Images
IMG_1912.JPG (393.6 KB, 78 views)
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Patton, as always, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Looks like they still market them - part # 970405 for the 70-72 Supreme B85
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Hi it’s a long shot, do you still have them?

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I looked in my stash, and I have a pair of the B85 rear window moldings for Cutlass, that I would like to sell.
Old December 7th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Post over in the Parts Wanted section. I got several responses when I was looking a few months ago!