General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

80's olds fuel injection ?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM

80's olds fuel injection ?

As I was jumping over mud puddles in the local junkyard A 80's Eldorado caught my eye (front wheel drive thing) Anyway, I noticed it was a fuel injected V8 olds anyone ever put one of these on an older motor? I don't want some super fancy $1000-2000 + high tech injection set up, this was down and dirty old olds stuff .......I'm not looking to race, just make my car run a little better ......my eyes are watering cuz of the holly
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:22 AM

TBI was pretty common by the mid/late 80s. One issue with retrofitting is a lot of them is that they integrated spark control in the ecu. That part can be difficult unless you're swapping the distributor too.
The later MPFI and SPFI systems have some huge advantages over TBI but require crank and/or cam sensors. Not really practical to retrofit.
You can go with an aftermarket ecu that doesnt trigger spark, like megasquirt, and it uses inexpensive stock injectors, sensors, etc. If you're going to persue this, let me know.
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

The 4.1 aluminium V8 debuted for Eldorados in '82, is that what you've found?.

If it is I wouldn't bother with it, by all accounts it wasn't a great engine and only offered in Cadillacs so fitting one might be a problem and a 350 Olds or Chevy has much more to offer.
The only advantage the 4.1 might offer is lightness.

Cadillac put a 350 injected Olds in the Seville in the late '70s, maybe that's what you have found.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; November 26th, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Too bad the 4.1 was such a disaster because the 80's Eldo's were nice cars. I beleive the Riviera also used the olds engine. The Eldorados to have from that era are the Olds powered or the 368 powered ones. Some people do replace the 4.1's with Olds engines in the Eldorado but I think the mating transmission is also required.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

To get back to the original question, the Olds 350 was used in Caddy Sevilles and some Eldos from 1975-1980. This motor used a PORT fuel injection system with a prehistoric analog computer. This early EFI didn't even use an O2 sensor, it was always in open loop mode. The intake will bolt to any small block Olds and some folks have converted them to a digital ECU, either using a GM unit or aftermarket. The GM computer will require a custom PROM. Use the HEI from a 307 with CCC to interface to the newer computer. Unless you know how to burn your own PROMs and have experience with developing fuel maps, this will not be cheap or easy.
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Wow, there's some Olds trivia you wont find anywhere else.
Did Olds ever use the computer controlled Qjet?
And any pics of that Eldo EFI? That's one I've gotta see.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
To get back to the original question, the Olds 350 was used in Caddy Sevilles and some Eldos from 1975-1980. This motor used a PORT fuel injection system with a prehistoric analog computer. This early EFI didn't even use an O2 sensor, it was always in open loop mode. The intake will bolt to any small block Olds and some folks have converted them to a digital ECU, either using a GM unit or aftermarket. The GM computer will require a custom PROM. Use the HEI from a 307 with CCC to interface to the newer computer. Unless you know how to burn your own PROMs and have experience with developing fuel maps, this will not be cheap or easy.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless you know how to burn your own PROMs and have experience with developing fuel maps, this will not be cheap or easy.

hmmmmmm

maybe i need to add one of those to the collection

i have a couple of burners in the cellar. all of our working prototypes at work are built using development boards from chip suppliers. we would prove out the code before going to masking at the foundry.

i was on a kick for a while where i was writing code for microcontrollers and made all kinds of goofy stuff. dont know if i could develop the control system but it sounds like fun.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I beleive the Olds injection system was the Bosch K Jetronic, it was widely used in Europe in the late '70s up until the '90s on a wide range of makes and models.

It wasn't the best system ever but was fairly simple and reliable, hence its popularity.
I dont think it was well recieved in the USA though, Americans seemed to prefer the simplicity of carburettors.
If you want to add a modern fuel injection system an injected Olds engine might
be easier to adapt than a carb model.

Roger.
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I beleive the Olds injection system was the Bosch K Jetronic, it was widely used in Europe in the late '70s up until the '90s on a wide range of makes and models.

It wasn't the best system ever but was fairly simple and reliable, hence its popularity.
I dont think it was well recieved in the USA though, Americans seemed to prefer the simplicity of carburettors.
If you want to add a modern fuel injection system an injected Olds engine might
be easier to adapt than a carb model.

Roger.
Pretty sure it was not a Bosch unit. The system may have used Bosch injectors, but the throttle body, distributor, computer, etc were all pretty much unique to the Olds application.

Here's an older website that details the installation of an Olds EFI manifold on a 403 and the conversion to a digital ECU with newer injectors.

http://grimers.com/vehicles/olds/403efi/index.html

And to answer the earlier question, all US-spec Olds 307 (as well as some early 1980s 260s) used the CCC system with the computer controlled HEI.
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM

injection

The car I saw was a front front wheel drive eldo. 79 + it caught my eye because its like my 83 riv. it was definitely olds powered ( i was checking on the valve covers) The injection was was a TBI style and not a port injection as i wouldn't even consider it since it would show. The large HEI style distributor would be a major downer ....It would make the engine look modified albeit it minor. The 89 + chevy throttle body caprice's used a nice small looking distributor, the computers were thrown under the glove-box and no crank sensor. but there goes the "oldsness"
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cheven
The car I saw was a front front wheel drive eldo. 79 + it caught my eye because its like my 83 riv. it was definitely olds powered ( i was checking on the valve covers) The injection was was a TBI style and not a port injection as i wouldn't even consider it since it would show. The large HEI style distributor would be a major downer ....It would make the engine look modified albeit it minor. The 89 + chevy throttle body caprice's used a nice small looking distributor, the computers were thrown under the glove-box and no crank sensor. but there goes the "oldsness"
First, there was never a TBI system factory installed on any Olds motor. There WAS an experimental TBI manifold cast for the 307s, but that was after the car you were looking at was built. Either you mistook the stock port injection for a TBI or the engine was the 4.1 liter Caddy motor, that DID have a TBI unit (though Caddy called it DFI for Digital Fuel Injection). The Caddy DFI system used the same throttle body as the Chevy TBI motors.

Did the engine you saw look like this?

372_p3694.jpg

Note that there's an injector in each port. That's NOT TBI, that's port injection. The throttle body happens to look like a TBI throttle body, but there are no injectors in it, just the throttle blades, TPS, and IAC.
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:19 AM

yep, think that was it

must have been missing the fuel rails and injectors? I don't know how i missed it . I may run all the way back out there just to save my sanity (whats left of it) will that intake drop on to an older 350 ?
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

will that intake drop on to an older 350 ?
ALL SBO intakes bolt to ALL SBOs except for the wierdo 260s and the peanut-port 307s with the 7A heads. Go back and click on the link I posted in Post #9 above.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM

well, made it back to the junkyard today ....and well i answered a few questions.....on a 1989 CHEVY (yes, chevy) caprice wagon, it had an olds motor in it and it had the tic tic carb on it, just like the 87-88 caprices did. And the reason i went there was to visit my friend the 79 eldo. because I needed valve cover screws for my car (previous owner put "T" handles on it) I wish I had a picture of INSIDE the valve cover cuz the heads looked brand new !!!! I mean like sparkling new new !!! must have just been serviced, then junked so sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldsinjection.jpg (137.3 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg
oldsinjection1.jpg (134.7 KB, 121 views)
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

well, made it back to the junkyard today ....and well i answered a few questions.....on a 1989 CHEVY (yes, chevy) caprice wagon, it had an olds motor in it and it had the tic tic carb on it, just like the 87-88 caprices did. And the reason i went there was to visit my friend the 79 eldo. because I needed valve cover screws for my car (previous owner put "T" handles on it) I wish I had a picture of INSIDE the valve cover cuz the heads looked brand new !!!! I mean like sparkling new new !!! must have just been serviced, then junked so sad.
These are photos of the Eldo? Note that the throttle body does NOT have injectors that the TBI throttle bodies have. Also, in your first photo, note the injector in the intake at the No. 1 port. This is the 1970s Olds analog port injection system with the analog computer.

Also, the VIN Y 307 was factory installed in all B-body cars in the second half of the 1980s. My 1986 Caprice wagon has a factory installed 307 Olds.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM

yes, thats a 79 eldo. it had the port injectors for sure because i looked specifically for them.....they're in there someplace cuz i felt like an a$$ for missing them. Yes, the caprice had the olds V8 with the tic tic carb,