General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2015, 04:47 PM

Wiring

I have all books and charts for all parts of my car. Putting everything back. Rebuilt the dash, added tach, added gauges in the dash.
Question. In all my diagrams, I can not read what the wiring diagram says.

1. It shows this harness going outside the dash, over the steering column. Does it have to, or can I run behind, inside the dash?

2. Does anyone know how to get the ***** off the heater? Would like to clean it up.

3. Does anyone have a list of what each one of these wires goes to so I can clean up wires I don't use.

Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:00 PM

Sorry, I could not load an image from my tablet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wires2.jpg (194.7 KB, 46 views)
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:39 PM

3) grey wires (hot with lights on) are usually for various dash lights (guages, radio light, heater light, ect), yellow power for radio, orange (always hot) cig lighter, glove box light, clock, dome light, courtesy light ect. White usually to a switch and paired with an orange (eg: from door pins white and orange to a lamp). Blue rear speaker. I have blown a colored wire chart up to poster size, pm me with an email and I can send you pics if you need them.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Rodney

Sully:
I'm not as familiar with '69s but on '70-'72 models, the heater ***** are held on with a very small allen head screw recessed into the side of the ****. Use a good allen wrench that fits snugly as these little screw can be very tight and a cheap allen wrench can strip out the screw head. I did what Bill suggested and copied the wiring diagram from the CSM on 11x17 size paper and had Kinko's laminate it. Makes it much easier to read and handle in the garage. I think you can purchase a laminated copy of the wiring diagram online if you don't want to mess with Kinko's.
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:50 AM

You can run the wires wherever they will fit but if you follow the assembly manual Section 12 you'll find it will fit much better. Nothing is "outside the dash"

I can't remember how the ***** come off but they are metal so set screws make sense

As explained above, in general every orange wire behind the dash is a hot lead in 68-69. The wiring diagram in the Service Manual is pretty detailed. (I assume 69 is basically the same as 68). If you don't have it I have it scanned in high rez and I can email it to you. The only difference between 68 & 69 will probably be the ignition details because of the key in the column. The yellow wire is the radio lead. I think it's the keyed lead, not hot all the time like the orange wire. There were no memory presets like todays radios so a radio didn't have to have a hot wire to it all the time.

Last edited by allyolds68; June 29th, 2015 at 05:00 AM.