General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What am I looking at

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:08 PM

What am I looking at

Wife and kids gave this to me for my 50th birthday. Yeah, I know Holy cow what a gift and dream come true. Embarrassed as heck to ask this, but what I know from looking under the hood is a 455 Stroker built by Joe Mondello racing. Hooker headers, Richmond 5 speed transmission Can you tell anything else by the photos?,
Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:19 PM

Welcome to the site! Congrats! Hood looks like a 1967 442. But looking at the engine I can't tell you much. Did they get paperwork on the engine, like what kind of work has been done to it? I don't see anything original looking under the hood, so a fun car rather than restored classic.

When you have time please post more pictures of the car.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:00 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Not sure exactly what you are asking here....No way to know whats been done internally without disassembly or Mondello receipts. What are the block numbers on the shelf behind the water pump? Looks like a runner. I see decent heads, intake and heat coated headers. Looks like a dual feed maybe a double pumper Holly carb of unknown CFM likely a 750 or 850. MDS pro billet distributor, MSD 6AL spark box, and an external coil. Billet master and rad burper (overflow). Custom AC and radiator. I see a vacuum accumulator (Crane). So it must have a large cam. Don't drive it in the rain you'll suck water into the carb.

Doesn't the wife have the build info from whom it was purchased? Did she have the car "Chip Foosed" Overhauled style as in flat bedded away and this is what came back to you like this as a surprise??? If so does she have a single sister?

Get the cam card too. This info is critical to help dial it in if it needs to be.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 09:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ask the wife for the build sheet, dyno numbers and what engine specs/machining tolerances you have. How much compression? You will need to know when you get your first fuel fill up.
Looks like a nice build with lots of eye candy. Should perform well.
Let us know and post some pics of the car !
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:18 AM

Last edited by Dadsbadass442; March 6th, 2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:08 PM

Looks great

if the car looks as good as the engine compartment I'd bet it draws a lot of attention on the road. If you like piece of mind there is a company called FilterMag that sells special magnets that wrap around the oil filter. They catch the small metal fragments that come thru the filter that normally pass thru it. When you change the oil use a filter cutter to open the filter to check the health of the motor. If there's not a lot of gold flakes in the filter your good. If there is you catch it early. I bought them for mine. Summit sells the filter opener. How long ago was the motor built? Enjoy the car and keep that wife happy. She's a keeper!
Old March 7th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As long as it was Joe's new shop and not the one in California, you should be good. Hard to tell what pistons etc are in it from the bills, to small for me to see. Floor the go pedal, watch the gauges the first while and enjoy.