General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What is this ?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2010, 11:21 PM

What is this ?

I was taking out my radiator and core support tonight to replace the rusted core support bushings. In the process I found some king of weird modification someone previous to me did to this car. On the left side of the core support someone cut and then peeled down a pice of the metal and made some kind of bracket with a tube.

I can't figure out what it is because it doesn't do anything. At one point it looks like someone installed a hood release maybe or routed ca cable through the tube for something. Maybe someone can give their thought on this strange modification by looking at the photo's. If I'm not making sense then just ignore me. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0584.jpg (28.0 KB, 89 views)
DSC_0585.jpg (20.7 KB, 73 views)
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM

I wonder if it could have something to do with the optional hood lock?
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:37 PM

I didn't take a photo of this but there is also a metal loop bolted through the inside center of the radiator core support for no apparent reason. It may have something to do with this other modification.

So are you saying that this bracket might have been for a interior hood lock option ? That's not what the factory option looks like is it. Or was it a dealer installed option and that's what they had to do to install it ? Or is this someones "McGyver" way of adding little options ? Does anyone have a photo or picture of the actual interior hood lock option and how the cable was routed ? Is it like the photo above ?

Thanks for the probable answer.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM

I've never actually seen one installed in a car and I believe this is not stock for it. It just looks like that is a possibility as to what that might have been for.
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Looks like part of a southern-engineered hood lock.
The factory option would not have been installed that way. It would be all underneath the core support top plate next to the latch. It would not have looked rigged up either.
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I remember the old dealer installed hod locks from back in the day. They were like a hood release cable, just a bit thicker and they pushed in instead of pulling out. When I worked at an Olds dealer in the 80s, we sent them out to be done, meaning the quality of the install/pieces used to install, weren't always top notch, even to the point of being "southern engineered".
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks everyone ! I think this modification has been there for a long time hidden from view under the radiator shroud material on the sides of the radiator. If I get a chance later I will post the metal "O" loop mounted to the inside center piece of the radiator cord support. This must be part of the cable system installed with the part above.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Might of have been a J.C. Whitney special.
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Did the car at 1 time have an alarm system installed? It might be a left over, after previous owner just removed the underdash key and associated wiring. Just a thought.
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM

What is this - part two.

Part two: Here are two more photos to make anyone's guess even more difficult. Take a look, see what you think....

mike's88 - To answer your question, I'm not sure what this car had other than an ignition cut-off switch routed into the glove box. I don't see any signs of an alarm being installed ever but then again I didn't know this cable thing was there until this week. I've only owned the car for two years. You make a good point, so I will pay attention and keep an eye out for extra wiring for an alarm.
Attached Images
DSC_0593.jpg (37.2 KB, 23 views)
DSC_0594.jpg (35.1 KB, 23 views)
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by toro455
Part two: Here are two more photos to make anyone's guess even more difficult. Take a look, see what you think....
Either a "recovery hook" or still part of the southern-rigged hood latch.

Hmmm.... Previous bike brake cable goes to inside car with chinesium locking pliers on end as a handle, string is tied to other end of cable, string goes through hook and up to hood latch. Six inches of cable pull ~might~ pop the hood one time out of six.
What did I win?

Okay, I'm not on acid, but I have seen totally rediculous rigs before, some worse than this.
Maybe it was on "thereIfixedit"...