General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Web? Server or Me?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Web? Server or Me?

Last couple of days, it seems that the CO site is responding really slow and in some cases not all (web browser times out). Even in posts or for email links.

My browser is set up ok, and my cookies enabled etc.

Anyone else having this problem? All the other sites respond quickly to my browser, just not CO. I feel lucky that I'm able to get on here today at all.

Paul (Omicron) or Dan (Oldsguy), anything you know about?
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Same thing here

Same on this side of the world

The only other odd things I noticed is on this computer [my other one always does it] shows "marked thread read" sometimes when you hit quick links.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM

I am having the same problem here had to try to log on several times before CO came on line and it booted me twice saying the link was broken
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Same here
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Yep, I haven't been able to get on the site most of the day. Keeps on timing out.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Working around it.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Same on this side of the world

The only other odd things I noticed is on this computer [my other one always does it] shows "marked thread read" sometimes when you hit quick links.
I also notice that if you go to post something, it seems to be taking forever so I hit the "submit" button again and the browser says that I've already posted it, even though there's nothing happening on my end. Sometimes it doesn't even post. I've got in the habit of CTRL A, then CTRL C before I post just in case nothing happens. It did it to the reply I sent Sandy about the 710 thingy. ( my bad, along with you and Allan H) and nothing got posted. When I finally got onto the site I did a CTRL V and hit submit again. This time it worked.

BTW, sometimes using the Preview Post option on advanced dumps the message too. This is really bamboozling. It's kind of like there's chebby or furd trojans running amock here.

I'm wondering if this whole thing isn't server related. Does anyone know if there's any domain maintenance being done?
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah, what you said.... getting very frustrating. I keep getting "server can not be found"... can't reply.... can't post.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Solutions

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yeah, what you said.... getting very frustrating. I keep getting "server can not be found"... can't reply.... can't post.
Gotta take one of those pink and white pills Sandy. But on the bright side, I've been on the site now for about 1/2 hour and the response time is getting much better. (maybe I shouldn't say that too loud, Mr. Puter's worm gears might be ready to puke again).

Now, about that elusive "Server cannot be found" message. Here's what we do: everyone together now = "Red Rover red rover, we call the server over" Make sure he doesn't break through ok?
now if that doesn't work:
Ok Mr. Server. You some kind of wise guy? Huh, you a wise guy? C'mer wise guy. (Sound of a cap to the head).

Hey, my computer's working fine now. Thanks Jamesbo. I knew you and da boys would come through.
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:17 PM

I posted in the Mod forum hope Omicron picks it up
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Had the same problem today, server timed out. There are times when this site is really slow (especially when clicking on photo attachements) and other sites I go to no problems at all loading.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
2 '66 98's

Problem seems to be universal. I am using a brand new computer which was very quick until just now. Everything else still works instantly.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

Same here, earlier nothing, I hit the back button and it's like 3 weeks ago, been going on for like a week.
It freaked me out, I thought I was having flashbacks again.

Smileys won't work sometimes too. :: ((

Things are acting strange but I'm sure they're working to solve the problem.

I tried a few other real big IB sites earlier and they wouldn't come up either, their corporate site was down too.
Something happened...either ghosts in the machine or former Soviet satellite country hackers I would suspect.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cutlass Lover

I took Allan R's advice and took a handful of purdy pink and white pills..... 'puter is working wonderfully..... I'm not though! So far it's only thrown me out once, after not being able to connect twice! Maintenance goin on somewhere... could be that ornery Redgoat! Scoundral!!!!! Ok... now to see if this posts.....
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I think I ready to shoot it.
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Cutlass Lover

Me too. My whole damned day has been like this!
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Same problem here and late at night. Lots of time-outs and can't post and sometimes can't get in to CO at all - takes several tries.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Disk Clean up ..?

I got windows live one care, 1/2 price w/ coupon (If you are going to drink the kool aid you might as well chug it) and my pc keeps running better and better ...

When I do a clean up there are fewer files than I used to get ...

Sometimes I'll defrag ...

This post is being difficult, I stopped loading and will retry ,,,

Last edited by mugzilla; November 12th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM
is Fast Enough ...

That time it took two seconds ...
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Still having problems this morning.... kill the gremlins in the server room, please!!!!
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
zed

I couldn't get anything last night. Today is ok...it seems.
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM
zed

My last post didn't even register. Still aint working for me either.It took a few tries to get this thread up again. Other threads, nuthin.
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
car guy

It is really bad this morning.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Getting worse on my end! Any one figured out what's goin on yet????
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I am having the same problems. I checked on another forum owned by IB and it is the same way.
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Registered Abuser

Friday the thirteenth. Eeeeek!

Same problem here in Canuckistan. (This is post attempt number two)
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Been trying all day to log on to this site.Was finally able to now for the last 1/2 hour I've been trying to post something.Thought it was my computer or my internet provider.
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Registered

I just got in, my fingers are bleeding.
My wife is in IT at a major rinsurance company Flo works for and she says everything has been weird the last few days.

Something's going on, maybe they new Windows 7 is doing it, Vista Cruisers got a bad name from Windows Vista.:mad

I'll cross my fingers and hope this goes through to the masses in need of information.
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I'm here, I'm here, let the bells ring out and the banners fly,feast your eyes on me, it too good to be true but I'm here, I'm here! Don't know for how long though......
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM

had problems since last night... I just thought I got banned

John
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

I have been having the same problem as all you guys...time-outs, "Oops! This link appears to be broken", slow response...maybe my wife has something to do with this. She has a Honey-do list and thinks I spend too much time on the internet. I had to try a couple of times to post.
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Alb

server

Took 2 days to get on
Alb
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM

Could not get on all day up until a few minutes ago. Sent a e-mail to Omicron last night he said they were having server problems and hoped to get it fixed soon. Lets hope its fixed
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
GM Enthusiast

I had a lot of trouble thursday and friday but I could not get on at all today until now. What's the deal?
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Looks like most of the problems are fixed. Posting replies are still a little squirley (takes more than one try), but are working. Whatever the problem, I'm guessing it was server or database related. There was some talk about the photo gallery having posting problems with work being done (in the Announcements threads) and I'm again wondering if this may have had something to do with it.

I think that the person(s) who fixed the problems did so in a timely manner and has my praises! Nice job.

Here's to hoping the problems stay away!!

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 14th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Something's going on, maybe they new Windows 7 is doing it
I don't think it's anything general to the internet. As everyone has pointed out, they have no trouble getting on any other site. It's just THIS site. If it was something to do with Windows 7 or some other internet-wide problem, it would be affecting the ability to reach many sites, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The problem is/was with the CO server. It seems to be fixed as I'm writing this (otherwise, I woudn't be writing it!). But it's still darn slow when I hit "Submit Reply."
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Cutlass Lover

I tried about 9:00 this morning and right away got "page can not be displayed" so I didn't try any more until a little while ago. Then I got the same thing twice when trying to log on from "my favorites" list. It worked when I typed in the whole dot com name! Hopefully it's fixed... Cutlass withdrawl and CO withdrawl all at the same time... bummer!!!
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM

It seems as the Internet Brands server had some virus issues. I read it one of thier website. Not just this site was affected, but several others.

From Oldsforum.com

Notices
We really want to apologize for the downtime suffered over the last two days. Unfortunately our Internet Brands network was targeted with a series of cyber attacks that severely limited access over this time period. Our tech team has worked around the clock to resolve the issue. We absolutely appreciate your patience and understanding and do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack.
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Eightupman
It seems as the Internet Brands server had some virus issues. I read it one of thier website. Not just this site was affected, but several others.

From Oldsforum.com
If that was the problem, no sweat - apology accepted. Now let's get on with "life". Isn't it amazing how dependant we become on the electronic age? How many of you went through some withdrawal stages? Be honest. I missed being able to get on this forum. It's 9:52 local time now (pm) and I just was able to get on. I'll check in the morning to see if this was just a fluke. heck, I'll know in a minute when I post this.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, things seem to be working pretty good for now. Haven't been locked out, and have posted a couple of threads with only a little issue. When I clik submit, it looks like the post hasn't gone. So I clik it again and badda bing, the web comes up with an information banner saying that its a duplicate to one I just posted. Then it defaults to the original post. It's working better than it was for the last couple of days, but its still not right.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM

yep, still wonky as I sit here too. Still get the "server not available" every few page clicks. bugs are not all gone yet...

i just upgraded to IE8 and I thought it was my browser for a little while. I did need to adjust some settings, but it wasn't what I thought.

John

Quick Reply: Web? Server or Me?