General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trailer Cover

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Trailer Cover

I'm buying a new aluminum trailer. It has to set outside. The sun is so hard on things setting outside, I was thinking about covering it with a tarp or cover. My brother thinks that a tarp would be a bad idea. I was thinking maybe a RV cover would work? Does anyone cover there alum trailer, and are there any bad results?
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Personally I think it would be a pain in the a$$ to cover it. Put a good coat of wax or surface protector of choice and wash before using.
Old July 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I'm buying a new aluminum trailer. It has to set outside. The sun is so hard on things setting outside, I was thinking about covering it with a tarp or cover. My brother thinks that a tarp would be a bad idea. I was thinking maybe a RV cover would work? Does anyone cover there alum trailer, and are there any bad results?
Constant exposure to the sun will damage any trailer over time. Waxing 2-3 times a year helps here in Texas but it won't stop the fading, streaking, etc. I wouldn't recommend a tarp but protecting it with a RV cover will provide good results if it's not possible to store it under a carport. Camping World carries an extensive line of covers in various price points that will fit. Covers are a pain but a trailer is a sizeable investment.

If you're buying a new trailer consider a white one. It will not fade as quickly, and doesn't absorb as much heat as the darker colors. A one piece roof is also very desirable as there is less sealant necessary during manufacturing and reduces future maintenance.
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Just for clarification, is this an open or enclosed trailer?
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:06 PM

Lonestar, it is aluminum, that is more my question, is it a mistake to cover aluminum? I had a metal one before, and I know how hard the sun is on it. I painted it 3 times in 10 years. I use Cal Car Covers on my PU, for the last 25 years, and works great, but that is paint, not bare aluminum.
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Lonestar, it is aluminum, that is more my question, is it a mistake to cover aluminum? I had a metal one before, and I know how hard the sun is on it. I painted it 3 times in 10 years. I use Cal Car Covers on my PU, for the last 25 years, and works great, but that is paint, not bare aluminum.
442Harv, I'm assuming we're talking about an enclosed trailer. I haven't seen a bare aluminum skinned trailer other than shop/homemade projects and have zero personal experience with that. If your trailer isn't sealed, clear coated, powder coated, or finished in some fashion I would check with the supplier for their storage and maintenance recommendations.

My prior post was regarding trailers with factory finished aluminum siding. Sorry for any confusion and good luck with the new trailer!