General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Are these the correct Power window regulator

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:10 AM

Are these the correct Power window regulator

Out picking yesterday and found a power window wiring harness and couple regulators with good motors.
What did these come off of?
The idea of adding power windows to my 72 vert sounds great . I grabbed 2 quads and 6 single switches the ones with rounded corners . I don't know anything about power windows .
This building was full of 67-72 cutlass parts , the old guy passed away story was him and his wife restored them cars all through 90s - 2014 . All the high end stuff was already gone .
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by my72olds
Out picking yesterday and found a power window wiring harness and couple regulators with good motors.
What did these come off of?
The idea of adding power windows to my 72 vert sounds great . I grabbed 2 quads and 6 single switches the ones with rounded corners . I don't know anything about power windows .
This building was full of 67-72 cutlass parts , the old guy passed away story was him and his wife restored them cars all through 90s - 2014 . All the high end stuff was already gone .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (2.23 MB, 41 views)
Old September 1st, 2015, 01:34 PM
Rodney

I picked up a set of power regulators last year for my convertible project, I bought the motors in a separate eBay auction. Here's a pic of the regulators I bought. The 2 wide slides on the left side of the pic are for the rear windows, the 2 shaft-type in the center are for the doors. I forget which of the remaining parts are for the doors or the quarter windows. The shorter ones go in the back IIRC. I've also attached an installation "how to" pdf file. It's in the attachments below. Hope this helps!
Rodney

Attached Images
'72PwrWindow-sml.jpg (198.0 KB, 91 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pwr_Window_Install.pdf (1.15 MB, 23 views)

Last edited by cdrod; September 1st, 2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
I picked up a set of power regulators last year for my convertible project, I bought the motors in a separate eBay auction. Here's a pic of the regulators I bought. The 2 wide slides on the left side of the pic are for the rear windows, the 2 shaft-type in the center are for the doors. I forget which of the remaining parts are for the doors or the quarter windows. The shorter ones go in the back IIRC. I've also attached an installation "how to" pdf file. It's in the attachments below. Hope this helps!
Rodney

Yes I came across that article last night it's pretty good.
I had questions about the regulators do you see any numbers on them ? Looks as if 2 of them have a smaller spring than the other 2.
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:31 PM
Rodney

I laid out one of my doors flat on a body stand with the interior side up, and played around with the regulators until I could make sense of the mounting holes and alignment. I was referencing the Fisher Body Manual which doesn't have a drawing for A-body, power windows. I do remember that the power regulators do not mount in the same holes as the manual regulators. The power regulators mount vertically whereas the manual regulators are mounted at an angle.

Last edited by cdrod; September 1st, 2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: missing content
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:47 PM

I laid out one of my doors flat on a body stand with the interior side up, and played around with the regulators until I could make sense of the mounting holes and alignment. I was referencing the Fisher Body Manual which doesn't have a drawing for A-body, power windows. I do remember that the power regulators do not mount in the same holes as the manual regulators. The power regulators mount vertically whereas the manual regulators are mounted at an angle.
Yea I was in the shop messin around with the a little bit.
The more I look at your pictures the more all 4 of tge ones I have look like 2 of yours , the ones on the left with the shiny arms . See how the frames come to a point up top like two ears. I guess you don't remember if those went in the rear or front do you?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 05:54 AM
Rodney

I'll pull mine off the shelf this weekend when I go my shop and get some measurements for you. I think the rear regulators have a longer mounting bracket with shorter arms and the door regulators have shorter mounts with longer arms. I'll post up my findings this weekend for you. Lord knows I wouldn't be half as far along with my project were it not for the help of other CO members - just paying it forward.

Rodney
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:46 AM

I'll pull mine off the shelf this weekend when I go my shop and get some measurements for you. I think the rear regulators have a longer mounting bracket with shorter arms and the door regulators have shorter mounts with longer arms. I'll post up my findings this weekend for you. Lord knows I wouldn't be half as far along with my project were it not for the help of other CO members - just paying it forward.

Rodney
Oh that would be great if you could. If what you say is correct then I ended up with 4 rears . Now if that's the case maybe the fronts would be easier to find ya think? I read somewhere that all the gm regulators for full size door of that era was the same .
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:50 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Pwr

Rodney, you are correct the ones (with the shorter regulator arm) go in the back quarter window. Here are a couple of pics I took. I am also in the process of converting my 72 Cutlass to power windows. I got these regulators out of a 72 Pontiac Grand Prix and they seem like they will work. I cleaned up the motors and they are working fine after 44 years. Thank you for the pdf file you attached, that helped me out with some questions that I had on the instal...
Attached Images
PWR 72 Pont Gran Prix.JPG (550.7 KB, 16 views)
PWR Left Front (3).JPG (391.0 KB, 14 views)
PWR Left Rear.JPG (1.79 MB, 9 views)
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:20 AM
Rodney

Oh that would be great if you could. If what you say is correct then I ended up with 4 rears . Now if that's the case maybe the fronts would be easier to find ya think? I read somewhere that all the gm regulators for full size door of that era was the same .
Regulators from any A-body car (GTO, Chevelle, GrandPrix, Monte Carlo, Skylark, etc.) will fit, I'm not sure about F-bodies (Firebird, Camaro) or the B & C body cars (Delta 88, Bonneville, etc.). Pfergy600 just posted some pics of his parts that are labeled front and rear, so you should be able to identify your parts by looking at his pics.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by pfergy600
Rodney, you are correct the ones (with the shorter regulator arm) go in the back quarter window. Here are a couple of pics I took. I am also in the process of converting my 72 Cutlass to power windows. I got these regulators out of a 72 Pontiac Grand Prix and they seem like they will work. I cleaned up the motors and they are working fine after 44 years. Thank you for the pdf file you attached, that helped me out with some questions that I had on the instal...
Oh those are great pictures . That clears things up , I've got 2 sets of rears lol on the hunt for a set of fronts I go. Hey while I've got y'all on the line here , what do ya know about the wiring harness? I've got it but it sure does look like alot of extra plugs under dash and on driver harness . My service Manuel doesn't show anything on electric windows. Do you know what all plugs into it?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:19 AM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Oh those are great pictures . That clears things up , I've got 2 sets of rears lol on the hunt for a set of fronts I go. Hey while I've got y'all on the line here , what do ya know about the wiring harness? I've got it but it sure does look like alot of extra plugs under dash and on driver harness . My service Manuel doesn't show anything on electric windows. Do you know what all plugs into it?
No, you have a full set. The Regulator Arms with the Black Rollers are for the front doors and the White Rollers are for the Quarter (Back) window..The "extra plugs" you are referring to are probably for the Power Door Locks which are on the same wiring harness.. These pics are for the driver's side 4 way switch, I will try and get other pics of the wiring harness.
Attached Images
Power Window Switch.JPG (2.53 MB, 5 views)
Power Window Switch 3.JPG (50.6 KB, 4 views)
Power Window Switch 2.JPG (48.9 KB, 6 views)
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM

my72olds, look up on this site for a member name (Lady72nRob71), he has completed this instal from Manual to Power Windows and has a lot of info and photos of the process..
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by pfergy600
my72olds, look up on this site for a member name (Lady72nRob71), he has completed this instal from Manual to Power Windows and has a lot of info and photos of the process..
Yes I've read his article and many others . The best I found was on first gen monte site .

Yea buddy I have 4 with white rollers . The harness has extra plugs under the dash may e for a relay and I don't know what else .
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:03 AM

Here is a picture , looks to me as though I have two sets of rear regulators. The rollers are white as you described.
Attached Images
image.jpg (2.12 MB, 13 views)
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:15 AM

These two plugs here and one tiny one by pass door but I think it also would be under the dash are the ones I'm not understanding . My wife's blowing up a picture and putting arrows on the to show better.
Attached Images
image.jpg (1.66 MB, 15 views)
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:25 AM

This shows the plugs in question . Then also there is one right there at driver door that is for relay of braker of some sort is that correct?
Attached Images
image.jpg (94.4 KB, 13 views)
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:11 AM

I'm not totally sure, maybe it is for a car with Power Seats or Power Rear Tailgate Window and the Power Relay. I'm sure someone will read this post and let you know.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:12 AM

If you post a pic of the color wiring that is attached to the plugs might be helpful too.