General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shocker! a headsup

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Shocker! a headsup

$940 worth of seat coverings ordered from Year One,of which $174 was delivery.
UPS shows up and will not release parcels until I have paid a brokerage fee of $240
I paid it, only because I want my car done before spring.
Self-declare these items-get the paperwork from driver,refuseto pay and visit your local Canadian customs office-pay the duty,and present this to the local UPS parcel depot.A little bit of bother but worth it.
Just a headsup when ordering "stuff" from the US, for delivery to Canada.
This was thru UPS-other delivery companies may be different.

Ted
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM

damn that sucks!!
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM
wait.... what....

UPS is the biggest ripoff out all the delivery services! That's why I have a mailbox in Port Huron.
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM

I've learned the hard way too! I now have large expensive stuff shipped to my friend's place in Michigan.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Thumbs down

Why isn't there a Canadian "muscle car" shop/vendor that can meet the needs of the consumer in your neck of the woods? I would think that would be an ideal business.

I don't envy your problem with having to pay crazy shipping costs just to get basic parts shipped and delivered.

d1
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
70 Cutlass SX

How much of that $240 was duty? If I order stuff in the US and have it shipped to Bermuda there is a 25% duty on top of the shipping charge. Fedex and UPS charge a handling fee of $25 per item.

Even the USPS charges a lot for shipping to Bermuda. I had some lawn mower parts that fit in the small USPS box sent from NJ. The cost of the parts was $109. The postage was $56. I had to clear it myself and the duty was $27. Total cost - do the math.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I thought NAFTA eliminated this crap ?!?

Why the *$#@ don't we have "open trade borders" with our best friends to the north?
You know the big players (can you say, "GM"?) are getting a "deal" on all these taxes.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
wait.... what....

Most of that charge I bet was brokerage fees. You pay no duty on things built in the USA.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by pcard
How much of that $240 was duty? If I order stuff in the US and have it shipped to Bermuda there is a 25% duty on top of the shipping charge. Fedex and UPS charge a handling fee of $25 per item.

Even the USPS charges a lot for shipping to Bermuda. I had some lawn mower parts that fit in the small USPS box sent from NJ. The cost of the parts was $109. The postage was $56. I had to clear it myself and the duty was $27. Total cost - do the math.
Of this amount,had I picked up the package, I would have paid $56-big diff-they are making $ north and south of the 49th!
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

The brokerage fee is not illegal-what is being contested here is UPS claiming that an individual cannot self-declare a package, after paying duty to customs.What really stinks, is you are not aware of any of this until they(UPS) shows up in your yard demanding more money-I feel sorry for the drivers-they must get an earful daily!!
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:25 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I imagine most people would not know how to clear customs. There is no duty in Canada on stuff "made" in the U S or "bought" in the U S? There is duty in the U S on stuff bought in Canada.