General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds Distributor Shims

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2024, 05:13 AM

Olds Distributor Shims

I've seen shims for Chevy distributors offered for when doing a replacement. but don't see anything for Olds distributors.
Just doing research for a new one. Any input on this?
Old July 8th, 2024, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=67VistaBlue;1580093]I've seen shims for Chevy distributors offered for when doing a replacement. but don't see anything for Olds distributors.
Just doing research for a new one. Any input on this?[/QU

If the cylinder heads get milled over .030 the intake will need to be cut as well, so everything is now lower, chevy distributors set on the intake. so the gear will need to get shimmed

Last edited by zl1 camaro; July 8th, 2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old July 8th, 2024, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by 67VistaBlue
I've seen shims for Chevy distributors offered for when doing a replacement. but don't see anything for Olds distributors.
Just doing research for a new one. Any input on this?
I think I still have some for the Olds sitting around....they exist.
Old July 8th, 2024, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Olds does not need shims in most cases due to the CCW rotation, it pulls the shaft down.
Old July 8th, 2024, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Olds does not need shims in most cases due to the CCW rotation, it pulls the shaft down.

True. However, there are shims that take up the "slop" if there is too much clearance at the gear....keeps the shaft from having too much up and down movement.
Old July 8th, 2024, 07:59 AM

So under normal circumstances a shim isn't needed with a new distributor, but check. Good info, Thanks
Old July 8th, 2024, 08:11 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by ajr2820
..there are shims that take up the "slop" if there is too much clearance at the gear....keeps the shaft from having too much up and down movement.
There is only one way to determine the size of shim (if you feel one is needed).

Install the distributor. Then measure the amount of vertical movement when you pull the shaft up. If you think it is excessive, install a shim a few thousandths smaller than your measurement.

If you install a shim to take up the gap in a distributor when it is not installed, you will cause massive wear to the aluminum surface above the gear. (I've got experience. That's how some kids like me learned!)

Note added later: After I re-read my post, I realized I should have reiterated what Ralph later posted. Olds distributors don't need shims. I only meant to point out how to add shims for those who believe otherwise.

Last edited by VC455; July 8th, 2024 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Clarify intent
Old July 8th, 2024, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Originally Posted by ajr2820
True. However, there are shims that take up the "slop" if there is too much clearance at the gear....keeps the shaft from having too much up and down movement.
Originally Posted by 67VistaBlue
So under normal circumstances a shim isn't needed with a new distributor, but check. Good info, Thanks
Oldcutlass is correct.
It should also be known that a Chebby distributor shaft is being pushed UP by the camshaft gear teeth. I believe someone mentioned that the Chebby distributor gear are on the other side of the camshaft centerline. This would cause the distributor shimming to possibly be needed. This whole distributor shimming thing is a part of instructions to installation of "pointless ignition conversion" by a certain aftermarket manufacturer.

Oldsmobile distributor gear shafts are being pulled DOWN toward the machined face inside the block. With the distributor gear shaft being pulled down against the machined surface by the camshaft gear teeth, there is NO up and down motion on the distributor shaft.

If you have a lot of up and down motion on the distributor gear shaft, you have other problems. I would think this up and down travel on the distributor shaft would affect ignition timing you would see with a timing light.
....Just my two cents worth.