General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

obsession

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM

obsession

Are any of you guys or girls as obsessed as I am with these cars? I mean there is rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about Oldsmobiles. I guess we all are to some degree or you would not be reading this. The thoughts of finding, fixing, restoring, driving or just looking at them takes up tons of space in my head. I am partial to 70-72 but now my obsession has spread to even the big cars and early Oldsmobiles like the 66 and 50's cars. Sometimes I wonder if I had this much passion for my career I would probably be rich? I guess anything gets old after a while but man! The real kicker is when you have to move and you recruit some friends to help: I here things like " how many fenders and hoods do you have?" or "these f&%#@ng rear ends are heavy." I liked these cars since my mom gave me her 72 cutlass supreme back in 1983 as my first car and I worked on it before I could drive. It has been a sickness at times getting up early in the morning and driving across two or three states for some parts or something crazy? My wife thinks I am out of my mind but it could be worse like drugs or something. Anyways just thought I might throw it out there and see if anyone else has this disease.

Last edited by scrappie; January 16th, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM

There is nothing wrong with you,My wife calls it my sickness also. But she is very happy that it not another woman, and she would rather have me out in the garage than being out at a bar. Now if you said you were daydreaming about fixing and cruising in a riceburner, then you might have a problem
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Wow, I thought I did have a problem as I check this site almost daily and look on craigslist, eBay and collector car trader and 442.com all the time looking for cars or parts for sale and just information on peoples cars and what types of deals are out there. Just yesterday i was looking at CL in all kinds of cities just with search words of Olds . cutlass and 442....But if I didnt then I may not have found my car or the sport steering wheel that I feel I got a great deal on on a snowy day and 2 hours each way...

Glad to know I am nor alone

Last edited by Olds luvr; January 16th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dhoff
But she is very happy that it not another woman, and she would rather have me out in the garage than being out at a bar.
Thats what i kept telling my ex. But she still didnt see it that way! LOL well i just have more time for cars now! LOL
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM

It's definitely an obsession, I'd rather not think of it as a disease.

However,

When you reach the point of the obsession that you're on the Internet or looking through junkyards purchasing parts for your car that you don't actually need (extra bumpers, fenders, etc.) and then justify it in your mind that you can use it as a backup. Maybe you've crossed the line from obsession to disease.

I only speak from experience!

Maybe there's a doctor out there that can help!!!!!!
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I thought there was a doc...But that helped us get this disease...doc Watson....
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Is it bad that I would rather put my money towards the car rather than buying new shoes, clothes, haircuts, etc., etc.?
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by dan2286
Is it bad that I would rather put my money towards the car rather than buying new shoes, clothes, haircuts, etc., etc.?

I'm in the same boat.i just got CRYSTAL DIAMOND CUT HEADLIGHTS for my cutlass other then getting a hair cut{:An i would have to blame my dad for raising me in a delta 88.

!its contagious!
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I have the "old car" disease, too. There ain't no cure, either!
I like all old American cars (1988 and older...)
Of course Olds is my favorite!
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM

I know how you all feel too. It is a disease much like an addiction. Some are cured from it, but most aren't happy afterwards. It's just so much easier to get my fix than to stay away and deal with the withdrawl. I don't buy anything unless I absolutely need it(and I still sometimes don't buy it if I do need it), so I can spend more money on my cars.
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Hi, my name is John, I'm a CARCAIN addict.

This is our drug of choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cougar & Cutlass.jpg (85.4 KB, 6 views)
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Red face obsession

I know the felling every time I sell one of my cars I get depressed Mabe withdraws The wife tells me It we be OK we will get another Cheers me up a bit when she says go ahead & buy it We will just have to figure out what to do with out for a while Like electricity Gas Food ect
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Oldsdruid

No less a person than past OCA President Steve DeNovi called it a "Disease". Matter of fact he was so quoted in the Greensboro NC News & Record in July 1995 during the OCA National Meet.

When N&R readers saw that, they came out in droves to see the crazy and sick people who had brought Oldsmobiles from all over the country and world to Greensboro, to take part in a mass Rocket gathering! Hey, it ended up being great publicity!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I own two Olds, one near complete and the other just started. Is it obsessive to want another and have three not finished and does it get worse the more you buy? Am I heading down the road to being an addict? Do I need to join Olds anynomous and is there such a group or should there be a group" Arrrrrrrrg!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Trying to remember member

Obsession?
I have 5 Oldsmobiles, about 10 Olds engines, Olds trans, Olds rears, lots more Olds parts, a 1400 sf carbarn for my Oldsmobiles, a basement more than half full of Olds parts, Olds signs, displays and other Oldsmobilia, an office/den full of Olds stuff, a living room full of Olds posters, displays, display cabinets with Olds collectibles, literature, etc., a spare bedroom full of Olds literature...
Obsession? Nawwww.......
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Since my car has been in the paint shop, I've been satisfying my Olds obsession. 1 die cast Olds at a time. I'm up to over 400 now..............
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Geez, I'm just a minor leaguer here. need a bigger house and a "Carbarn" to start to catch up with the serious guys
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dhoff
There is nothing wrong with you,My wife calls it my sickness also. But she is very happy that it not another woman, and she would rather have me out in the garage than being out at a bar. Now if you said you were daydreaming about fixing and cruising in a riceburner, then you might have a problem

My wife once said that she almost wished it was another woman...because then she could at least have a fighting chance....... Sometimes, just sometimes mind you, I almost wish it was another woman too.
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 442much
My wife once said that she almost wished it was another woman...because then she could at least have a fighting chance....... Sometimes, just sometimes mind you, I almost wish it was another woman too.
My wife is not just an enabler, she's a co-conspirator!
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM
car guy

If I could just get off the damn computer I could go be apart of my obsession but after a long day at work this is so much easier.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
My wife is not just an enabler, she's a co-conspirator!
You are one lucky man, we should all be so lucky.
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I think I may be hitting the bottom of the barrel, and in need of an intervention.
I'm picking up a 7A headed 307 today because it's a freebie with 54k on it.
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I had to laugh when I read these posts, there are a couple that I could have written the exact same words myself! I even read a couple posts to my wife and she agreed. I'm not alone!
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Sometimes even a doctor can't help, we have a doctor not to far away that collects GMC trucks, older 40-50-60's. My understanding he has several carbarns full.