General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

numbers Decoding

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:51 PM

numbers Decoding

What do these numbers stand for on the drivers side of the block under the heads. 32m243584?

Also how do you check to see if your car is numbers matching?

Thanks
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:31 PM

Engine #, if it is a numbers matching car the last six of that number should match the last six of your vin.

Bill
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:41 PM

Oh yeh, the 3= Oldsmobile Division, the 2= 1972, and the M= Lansing

Bill
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wls559
Engine #, if it is a numbers matching car the last six of that number should match the last six of your vin.

Bill
Actually, that is a VIN derivative, and to be "numbers matching" it has to MATCH the VIN. The first character needs to match the first character of the VIN and the last eight characters need to match the last eight of the VIN. Characters two through five of the VIN are not reproduced on the VIN derivative, which is why it is also called a partial VIN. The trans case and frame also have VIN derivative stamps.

The engine number (actually, the engine unit number) is the number stamped on the oil fill tube and is not related to this VIN derivative.
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, that is a VIN derivative, and to be "numbers matching" it has to MATCH the VIN. The first character needs to match the first character of the VIN and the last eight characters need to match the last eight of the VIN. Characters two through five of the VIN are not reproduced on the VIN derivative, which is why it is also called a partial VIN. The trans case and frame also have VIN derivative stamps.

The engine number (actually, the engine unit number) is the number stamped on the oil fill tube and is not related to this VIN derivative.
I see your point Joe, my terminology is a little off but I understood it! Does that count; LOL! Horseshoes..... Hand grenades; anybody?

Bill
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wls559
I see your point Joe, my terminology is a little off but I understood it! Does that count; LOL! Horseshoes..... Hand grenades; anybody?

Bill
Not a criticism, just trying to avoid "truth decay".

Engines from that vintage had both an engine unit number and a VIN derivative, and they are not the same thing.
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM

?

Joe, this is the first time I've noticed the use of the term "engine unit number" as opposed to "engine." You note that the number on the fill tube is not related to the VIN derivative. What is the engine unit number related to? Is that like a serial number for the engine itself? I notice on my own OEM 400 the number on the fill tube is different.
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Joe, this is the first time I've noticed the use of the term "engine unit number" as opposed to "engine." You note that the number on the fill tube is not related to the VIN derivative. What is the engine unit number related to? Is that like a serial number for the engine itself? I notice on my own OEM 400 the number on the fill tube is different.
Yes, that's exactly what it is, an engine serial number. Prior to the 1968 model year, the engine and trans each got their own unit numbers, which were recorded on the Protect-O-Plate and thus tied to the VIN that way. From 1968-on, the unit numbers were no longer recorded on the P-O-P. This is why the only way to have a numbers-matching pre-1968 car is to have the P-O-P. Here's an example of a 1965 P-O-P that shows the engine and trans unit numbers. Note that the engine unit number format changed with the 1968 model year.