General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

my first rodeo

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2016 | 09:24 AM
Steve

my first rodeo

Hi all...I've registered my 72 W-30 for judging at the AACA Nationals in Hershey, Pa. on Oct. 8th. Entered in class 36G (70-75 Chevy/Olds performance). This is my first time even attending, let alone having a car judged. So I'm seeking any pointers/advice from those who have been through this. I've read through the rules, understand the importance of having the car clean throughout, and correct as possible. Wondering if there are some less than obvious things I should consider or be aware of.

As it sits right now there are only three significant items that are non-stock:

1) Halogen headlights (got a friend who has a set of T3s on a shelf that I can borrow for the show);

2) KONI shocks (love them for the handling improvement and don't really want to get rid of them...so maybe just paint them gray???, or is that not worth the effort?);

3) Petronix chip in the distributor (don't know if that's a big point deduction or not, but not really interested in changing it); Also, the distributor is a 1112033 instead of the correct 1112036 and the only part number not correct. Is it something they check?

Otherwise the car is correct inside and out as far as I've been able to tell and according to the assembly, chassis, and fisher body manuals I have for it. Not a 'concourse' level by any means (no paper tags, chalk marks, stamps) but as close as I can get it and still drive it.

Just thought it would be fun to go thru the experience at least once after all the years of work I put into the car.

I very much appreciate any advice, thoughts, or comments.
Old August 16th, 2016 | 06:36 PM

First off I know little about your judging class or year model of car, but in general there are many things that cross all years. First thing you should get the book/pamphlet that explain how you and others will be judged and walk around your car with it in your hand. Without it it is very hard to wing it and it will keep you from making mistakes or spending money unnecessary.
Mistakes I have seen or done
#1 Clean your car inside and out and that means underneath also(some judges want the bottom to look as good as the top) and that is a bitch.

#2 Are your hose clamps of era with like hoses? I've never lost a point on a reproduced hose or clamp but I have lost points on the newer screw type clamps.

#3 Is your battery of the style the car came with? Probably a Delco/Remy if not you could lose points there and there again a repo will work.

#4 In all the point type shows I have attended the judges may ask you to start your car, lift or drop your top, turn on headlights check all your lights blow the horn but they will not have you take anything apart to see if it is original or not. Your Petronx is fine.

#5 Did your car come with bias- ply or radials, use what it came with with the style of white wall or black wall it had when original.

#6 Is your trunk carpet the same as It came with?

#7 You will lose points on rock chips, dents misaligned chrome doors and hood seams.

#8 Believe you may lose points on the headlights if they weren't a option in your year. I know I would with my car.

Don't worry about much on your first time being judged but be sure to sign up for the score sheet so next time you can fix the issues that the judges catch.
And don't let the rules and BS bother you, have fun it's just a game and it's their rules and each show is different with different judging It's a very subjective game .... Hope this helps and it's not as bad as I may sound .... Tedd
Old August 17th, 2016 | 07:21 AM
Steve

[QUOTE=Tedd Thompson;945435]First off I know little about your judging class or year model of car, but in general there are many things that cross all years. First thing you should get the book/pamphlet that explain how you and others will be judged and walk around your car with it in your hand. Without it it is very hard to wing it and it will keep you from making mistakes or spending money unnecessary.

Thanks Tedd, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Mistakes I have seen or done
#1 Clean your car inside and out and that means underneath also(some judges want the bottom to look as good as the top) and that is a bitch.

I didn't think about underneath the car but good point. I'll be driving down the morning of so that'll be a challenge for sure. Depends on what the weather will be too I guess.

#2 Are your hose clamps of era with like hoses? I've never lost a point on a reproduced hose or clamp but I have lost points on the newer screw type clamps.

Yup, all taken care of.

#3 Is your battery of the style the car came with? Probably a Delco/Remy if not you could lose points there and there again a repo will work.

Yup. One of those silly things in my opinion, but the rules are the rules.

#4 In all the point type shows I have attended the judges may ask you to start your car, lift or drop your top, turn on headlights check all your lights blow the horn but they will not have you take anything apart to see if it is original or not. Your Petronx is fine.

All ok. Everything works including the rear window defrost option that the car came with.

#5 Did your car come with bias- ply or radials, use what it came with with the style of white wall or black wall it had when original.

Yup, put the original Firestone wide ovals on it. They suck as far as handling goes and in the rain but it is what it is.

#6 Is your trunk carpet the same as It came with?

Yup, ok there too.

#7 You will lose points on rock chips, dents misaligned chrome doors and hood seams.

Yup, all ok. No paint chips yet from driving it around to local shows...yet anyway!

#8 Believe you may lose points on the headlights if they weren't a option in your year. I know I would with my car.

I figured, so since I have access to a set I can borrow I'll swap them for the show.

Don't worry about much on your first time being judged but be sure to sign up for the score sheet so next time you can fix the issues that the judges catch.

Definitely want to do that, though I doubt there will be a "next time" for me. Though quite possibly at the OCA Nationals when it comes to Gettysburg in '18.

And don't let the rules and BS bother you, have fun it's just a game and it's their rules and each show is different with different judging It's a very subjective game .... Hope this helps and it's not as bad as I may sound ....

Very good advice and I'll definitely keep the right mindset. I'm just looking for a new and fun experience with the car. Will be having a couple long time friends show up for it including the one that went with me when I first saw and bought the car way back in 1978. So we just plan on having a good time. The points will be secondary. If the car meets their criteria then great, but if not, then that's ok too...its still MY car.

Sure appreciate your time and insight. Very helpful. Thanks again.