General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mopar MARCH serpentine

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 09:49 AM

Mopar MARCH serpentine

I was consulting on a Mopar yesterday- 71 charlenguda or something like that- guy bought a very pricey MARCH serp. belt system, I am tasked with getting it to fit.

Alternator needs V-belt pulley replaced with multi-V serp belt pulley. It is evidently held on by friction. MAYBE I can pull the one off with a PS pulley puller kit- it has the puller lip- but.... to install the new AL one- properly, not damaging it... how is that done? There are no threads in the shaft to use to install the pulley. I am afraid if the pulley is pressed onto the shaft, the rotor will break something inside. You have to dismantle the alt'r and press right on the rotor shaft? What about if the day comes you need to get that multi vee pulley off? FAIL.

The instructions say to remove WP bolts and use these here button head bolts lest the pulley hit the bolts. Ayep, the pulley hit the OEM hex head bolts. Put button head hex key drive bolts in- to find that they engage 1 or MAYBE two threads into the AL WP cavity housing behind. Seems hokey to me, but the bolt length appears to be same as the removed bolts.

Instructions say to measure for the belt you need- no belt[s] came with this 2-serp system. OK... funny part....go to the store with your measurement... "if your auto parts sales person asks for an automotive application, ask for a different sales person."

:-)

SPACERS in tubular form in many different lengths. NOT ONE DAMN PHOTO. Some line drawings but they fail to clearly show for example how the brackets secure to the back of the PS pump. top or bottom is not clear. Spacers can vary like 0.50 vs 0.52"- and are marked IF AT ALL only on the paper they are wrapped in. Speaking of which, what a PITA, took an hour just to unwrap the 3000 layers of paper, baggies, foam, etc. By now all the little kits are mixed and mingled. The one spacer for between alternator ears for a swivel point- DOES NOT FIT between the ears of either of two correct factory alternators, even with the movable bushing all the way out of the way. FAIL. No sander to cure that at the site, so have to work around that and ruin the nice powder coated silvery shiny finish, at least on the end.

Mainly socket head screws, and I had not much for hex bits with me... remember to take hex bits and calipers next time.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Sounds like fun Chris...not!
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
guy bought a very pricey MARCH serp. belt system, I am tasked with getting it to fit.
If it don't go, bling it (or something like that...)

$1500 or more, exactly zero performance improvement. Ah, money well spent.
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:33 PM

i found this

http://www.marchperf.com/instuctions...Chrysler%20All

which leads to the same retarded 2-d drawings that came with the kits:

http://www.marchperf.com/instruction...nstuctions.pdf

FAIL

Initial web page
http://www.marchperf.com/instuctions...Chrysler%20All
has no images so I have to load EVERY pdf to see which ones I need - FAIL

This page has the same 2d dwgs of the PS brackets
http://www.marchperf.com/instruction...structions.pdf
unclear if adjuster goes in front of pump or behind it
The pump does not have two bolts on the driver side as shown, for both front and rear brackets to attach to. Only the back side of our [admittedly chrome non-OEM] pump has a boltstud there.
They call spacers "1/2 inch aluminum spacer" &c but don't clarify if that is the OD or the length. Probably length, but let's SPECIFY please. Note the belt track is not even remotely "serpentine."

This appears to be the ALT kit I have
correct for the 440 big block.

THIS
appears to be exactly what I have - for BB with AC and PS

In this day and age I expect photos of real parts, from all sides, and how it fits. And a video. And a 3d rendering like say Solid Works that I can spin and zoom as I wish. At least ONE photo.

and another FAIL
a multigroove V-belt is NOT "serpentine" if it just replaces the V-belt[s] and goes in more or less a circle or oval or triangle. By definition, serpentine means to snake back and forth. The belt would have to be bent backwards and the other side of the belt contact something- usually the WP pulley.

The hardware is zinc plated steel.

Last edited by Octania; June 19th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Octania
and another FAIL
a multigroove V-belt is NOT "serpentine" if it just replaces the V-belt[s] and goes in more or less a circle or oval or triangle.
That's been my point for years. These pseudo-serpentine (pserpentine?) systems DON'T use a reverse rotation water pump. Some just use a bazillion idlers to get enough engagement on the regular rotation pump, increasing friction and drag over the original V-belt design. Of course you get the privilege of paying $1500-$2000 for this "improvement".
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Don't bother calling or emailing March either. Nothing but monkeys work there and they have no knowledge of their own parts.
I got an email from Cody March (I assume he's the owner) who insisted that the extra bracket I got in my kit bolted to the PS pump and that the instructions showed that. Neither of those statements is true. In fact my first inquiry got me a PDF file of the exact instructions that came in the kit. You've already seen how good they are.

I'll give March this, the quality is nice but no one there has a clue about their products including the owner.

I have more engineering experience and knowledge than these clowns and I have a &^%$*@! Geology degree!

Last edited by TripDeuces; June 7th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Update
The Alt spacing between the mtg ears is 2.385"
The spacer was 2.430" long
Therefore it was not going to fit.
I did finally get the bracketry in place exc. the AC for which I am missing the pump.
zinc plated 8-32 screw for PS pulley cover has damaged threads, needs to be fixed or replaced. With PS pump in place on engine, cannot get at outer rear bolt to secure it- headers in the way- have to remove pump and brackets, loosen front bracket, tighten rear, then install and tighten it all. Heli coil in aft upper bracket inboard end worked great.

On another vendor note- Flamethrower dist'r, based on GM pre-HEI distributor cap... too large OD, hits the Edelbrock head, cannot install the distributor. New and pretty. Have to grind 1/8" off the cylinder head to fit it. Oy vey.

Repro fender too fat at antenna mount hole- antenna nut will not catch a thread and secure. Had to grind 1/4" off the underside antenna bracket. Good thing I took my disc sander over there. 2 guys 2 hours to install an antenna. Test fit outside the car goes well, put the parts ON the car, no go. Finally measured the fender thickness and the gap in the antenna parts when the threads just began to catch and figured it out.
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:22 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

But think of all the horse power it gained over the old v belt drive! And to top it all off its likely Off-Shore chineasium. V-belts all the way on the old school stuff.
Many, too many repro parts are off-shore. Not on my muscle! That in its self is an Oy Vey