General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

looking up codes

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:21 PM

looking up codes

i need to know all the codes for all the parts for a 70 W-30 with A/C. i need a book or something that lists all the codes. is there an accurate book like this. i plan to start selling parts soon but don't want to sell anything i will need for my W-30. i need to know starter, pulley, water pump, alternator, distributor...... i just don't want to sell something to find out i needed it later. i have googled some of them but not sure i want to trust some of what i see.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i need to know all the codes for all the parts for a 70 W-30 with A/C. i need a book or something that lists all the codes. is there an accurate book like this. i plan to start selling parts soon but don't want to sell anything i will need for my W-30. i need to know starter, pulley, water pump, alternator, distributor...... i just don't want to sell something to find out i needed it later. i have googled some of them but not sure i want to trust some of what i see.
Your best source is Wild About Cars. Between the Assembly Manual and 1972 Parts Catalog there, you will have most all of your numbers. It is factory info, what's not to trust? You must understand Parts Cat in that a part number listed may be a replacement number at the time of publishing and may not be the original number. And if a part is no longer available, it won't be listed. It is a listing of available parts and their application. Not a list of parts that came on a car originally. But in the *majority* of cases, the numbers are indeed the same.
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Kurt is correct about the ASM and the parts book there but this one seems to be easier to use
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot, Beat me to it by thaaat much. Eric if you fire me the part numbers on your stock, I can look it up for you and send it back via PM or email. You'll prolly need to have it inventoried and indexed for selling anyway?

You have my home email.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Kurt is correct about the ASM and the parts book there but this one seems to be easier to use
Personally, I would not recommend using that source. That is compiled information and is thus subject to to inaccuracies, errors, and omissions.
It is these types of nuances and differences that lead to misinformation being passed around. *I* don't want to sacrifice accuracy for speed.
Knowing the difference is makes for good research as apposed to just finding sources.

It may be "easier", but it is also not in downloadable .pdf format that is "easier" to print out and take to the garage with you.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wmachine
....It may be "easier", but it is also not in downloadable .pdf format that is "easier" to print out and take to the garage with you.
??? Um, Kurt, yes it is. I just tried it to see. I can also specify which pages I want printed and double sided....maybe that's just a printer option. Anyhow, it's a source of info that can be used, along with the other sources that have been discussed. I for one am glad there's a lot more stuff coming on stream.
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
??? Um, Kurt, yes it is. I just tried it to see. I can also specify which pages I want printed and double sided....maybe that's just a printer option. Anyhow, it's a source of info that can be used, along with the other sources that have been discussed. I for one am glad there's a lot more stuff coming on stream.
No, Allan, it is not. I know what I'm talking about. The information on that site is in HTML. You can download the page image just like any page. And you can download it *into* a .pdf file *if* you have the right software. A lot of people don't. But it is a *converted* image. As I said, on WAC it is online in downloadable .pdf format meaning there is no conversion or subsequent loss in quality. That's one of the reasons the image quality is second to none on WAC. This is by design.
You can use secondary sources if you're not concerned with accuracy, but I sure wouldn't suggest someone else should when the primary source is available.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Never said I don't use WAC resources. Just that I found it downloadable and easy to print. That's all.
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Scot, Beat me to it by thaaat much. Eric if you fire me the part numbers on your stock, I can look it up for you and send it back via PM or email. You'll prolly need to have it inventoried and indexed for selling anyway?

You have my home email.
Dang, I love that duck!