General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

headers/exhaust and cams help

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Question headers/exhaust and cams help

hey im kind of new to the classic car game but i got a 71 cutlass supreme with 350 rocket and a 400t tranny with a b&m shift kit and a 1800 stall converter. i want to add some decent cams with out really doing any more work to the engine or tranny do you guys have any suggestions and i also want to add a nice set headers and maybe some flowmasters........ i figured i can bolt on the headers and go to a shop to add the pipes......please let me kno any of your suggestions it would be greatly apreciated.....thanks
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I read your title and was thinking headers exhaust and cams oh my. Don't mind me its late and i'm at work and tired. But I was looking at a page yesterday that had every after market cam available for olds. but this should help some (its only crower) http://crower.com/pdf/2008b/124-125.pdf

Headers someone will chime in and help you i'm not up on A bodies.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've done exactly what you are considering - install the headers then temporarily attach the mufflers to the collectors to get the car to a shop for pipes. I do have a one suggestion, however. The whole point of installing headers is to improve exhaust flow. Flowmaster mufflers, despite their obnoxious droning sound, are consistently among the most restrictive mufflers in published tests. Consider Walker Dynomax instead.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM

If you want more power. Than you want to change gears in the rear end. If you don't plan on doing any thing to the engine other than changing cams. You could just put an R/V cam in it. If you go any bigger your going to need more stall, different intake, dist. curved, carb setup for your power band, and some head work.

x2 on what Joe said about the mufflers.