General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electric fan Ques.

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Electric fan Ques.

I bought a set of dual fans that are mounted to a shroud .I want to install it in my car . I have a stock alternator.I put a amp meter to the fans and looks like it draws about 10 amps I going to use these fan as a pusher in front of the condenser.Leaving the stock radiator which is a 3 core and using the fan blade and the shroud.The car runs at 195 normal operating .I'm going to install a thermosat with a probe to control the elec fans.How should I start wiring these fans with a relay etc etc.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Do you know what alternator you have? If you have the 63A, then it should be fine.
If the car has AC, then it should be the 63A.
Are these fans single or dual speed? What did they come out of? One can get quite creative on the wiring. Does the car have AC? Do you have an extra plug/port in the radiator to insert a temp. sensor?
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I do have ac in the car.I bought the set of e-bay for about 60 bucks brand new.I can tell you they are loud.they are reversable fans they are single speed motors the thermostst control has a turn dial for temp and a probe that comes through the fins in the grill .I'm also putting a bypass switch to turn them on manually too.what are some of the wiring hints
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM

For starters, I see the need of multiple relays. First, i would wire the first relay just like the factory defogger, so the fans would only run while the engine is running. They will be hard on your battery. I did this with my car's seat heaters like this:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post57265
This switches the 12V side; fuse holder is mandatory.

The next relay would be connected to the temperature sensor.

A third relay's coil would be needed to connected to the A/C compressor clutch, to bypass the thermostat.
However, I do not like the idea of the fans running with the A/C if the car is at highway speeds.
Let me look in the service manual to see how my caddy is wired up...