General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Data Plate Read

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Data Plate Read

I have seen VIN and Data Plate information on here. I took the information and read my tag and have some items that to me don't clearly look right.

Basically I have a 69 Cutlass Holiday Coupe. Now items in question:

The Fisher Body Number that is to start like 10001. Mine reads 04299. I was looking for a leading numeral "1".

Trim Code My shows 940. In review of documentation the 940 shows for only 442's.

Next my paint code shows 50. White. Doc shows 5 as the white but curious what the "0" representing. Car currently has a black vinyle roof on it.

Any thoughts.
Mike
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Randy C.

Hi Mike,

For what you provided, here are the answers:

I'm guessing the first line on your trim plate reads

"ST 69 33687 XX 04299 BDY"

The 04299 number is simply the body number assigned by the assembly plant. It has nothing to do with the vehicle identification number (VIN) that can be seen on the driver side dash from the outside. That number will look like "336879X1nnnnn. The XX in the trim plate and the X in the VIN both represent the assembly plant (one is a 2-letter code, the other is a 1-letter code, but both mean the same thing). the nnnnn in the VIN represents the assembly plant sequential number and that's the number that has the "1" in the beginning. Again, the assembly plant sequential number in your VIN and the assembly plant body number on your trim plate have nothing to do with each other.

Your trim code is good for Cutlass models as well. The trim code of 940 means black vinyl interior with a split bench seat in front.

A paint code of 50 means the car was originally cameo white. If there is a B after the paint code of 50, that would correlate with your black vinyl top. All the paint codes for the trim plate are two-number codes.

I have a separate book called "442 By The Numbers", put out by Supercars Unlimited (www.supercarsunlimited.com). I use that book, plus there are some pages in the assembly manual that also can be used to confirm the numbers on your trim plate.

For a complete description of your trim plate, post a picture or write it out and someone at this site will give you the complete rundown.

Hope this helps.

Randy C.