General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass Frame

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2018, 01:55 AM

Cutlass Frame

I recently sent my car off the have the floor pan replaced. I was told the previous repair was completed using bondo and spray foam. I was also told this was used on the car frame as well. This is great news to add to an already terrible week. Now I’m in need of a frame for my 71 convertible Cutlass anyone have any suggestions where I can find one in Texas?
Old October 4th, 2018, 02:29 AM

I believe you can use any a-body convertible 68-72 frame: chevelle, lemans, skylark, & cutlass. Bummer about the covered repair. Glad to hear you're not abandoning the project.
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...ing-guide.html
Old October 4th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Car Nerd

Freddy, you started a thread in late 2016 asking for a frame because you had a bad one before. Is this your second frame replacement or did you not get it completed before? I feel bad for you if it is your second, but it shouldn't be news to you if you never got it replaced. Dragline is right about the use of other frames from A bodies. You can also buy a hardtop frame (it must be from a two door non El Camino car) and buy a kit to box it, though I am not sure that would be as stable as finding an actual vert frame, where the cross section is a full triangle rather than a box, if that makes sense. It would fit, though.
Old October 4th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldSoldier
Freddy, you started a thread in late 2016 asking for a frame because you had a bad one before. Is this your second frame replacement or did you not get it completed before? I feel bad for you if it is your second, but it shouldn't be news to you if you never got it replaced. Dragline is right about the use of other frames from A bodies. You can also buy a hardtop frame (it must be from a two door non El Camino car) and buy a kit to box it, though I am not sure that would be as stable as finding an actual vert frame, where the cross section is a full triangle rather than a box, if that makes sense. It would fit, though.
Yes, this will be the second frame I will have to purchase. I don’t think I will ever finish this build because I continue to spend the money I save up on unusable parts that someone fabricates to earn a buck but continue to risk someone else’s safety. The current frame was stamp as a convertible Cutlass but turns out it was a poorly shorten El Camino frame. Poor welds and bondo to cover the flaws. Body to frame bushing mounting areas filled with bondo rather than repair with metal. Money has been wasted in this project on so many terrible replacements parts that I need a break on good parts with great prices.
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Car Nerd

Sorry man, that sucks. There are a few enthusiasts on this board in Austin that sell parts, perhaps they'll stumble upon this thread and know of one somewhere. I see refurbished vert frames for sale on CL from a guy in Quinlan, TX, which is up near me in DFW but they aren't cheap.

As an aside, are you in the army? Engineer? Reading that other thread from 2016 and mentioning Waynesville makes me wonder. I also did Hood and Leonard Wood.
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldSoldier
Sorry man, that sucks. There are a few enthusiasts on this board in Austin that sell parts, perhaps they'll stumble upon this thread and know of one somewhere. I see refurbished vert frames for sale on CL from a guy in Quinlan, TX, which is up near me in DFW but they aren't cheap.

As an aside, are you in the army? Engineer? Reading that other thread from 2016 and mentioning Waynesville makes me wonder. I also did Hood and Leonard Wood.
Yes, it’s been a tough few months working on the project. Several obstacles have threw a wrench in the process. But to answer your questions, I’m currently still active Army but I’m not an engineer. I’m a wheeled vehicle mechanic. I was assigned to an engineer unit in Leonard Wood as well as now. So I can say I’m an honorary engineer, “Essayons!!!!!!”

i have seen the post post by the guy from Quintana, Tx but you are right they are really pricey which means out of my budget! Hopefully I will get a break on a good frame soon so I can continue to progress on the build. Thanks for the information I will continue to lean forward in my search.
Old October 6th, 2018, 11:49 AM

You're a better man than me. I'd find the guy that you bought the second frame off of and practice my fast ball swing with him right up close.

On another note I saw a convertible frame for sale on Face Book a few days ago. Try "Cutovers". Bee St. Louis is a member of CO and he posts a lot of stuff from the Dallas area if that helps. Maybe PM him and see if he posted it. If you want you can tell him Mike Sarro saw one but not sure what site. In the meantime if I see one out there I'll hit you back.

Also Olsd pacrat is in ID but he may have one.
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info Mike. I will send him a message, hopefully he can help.