General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM

convertible top replacement

How difficult is it to replace the convertible top in a 72 cutlass? I'm going to order one and I would like to replace it myself. I've done on other top on a VW.
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:26 AM

If you have the experience, you could try it. But an Olds is about 4x the size of a Bug... You will at least need one good helper, maybe two.
Read the procedure in the body manual and see how it relates to your prior experience. Personally speaking, this is something I would not attempt myself.
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM

There are videos that show how to install a top. I would say a must if you little or no exp.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
If you have the experience, you could try it. But an Olds is about 4x the size of a Bug... You will at least need one good helper, maybe two.
Read the procedure in the body manual and see how it relates to your prior experience. Personally speaking, this is something I would not attempt myself.
I would take Rob's advoce. Rob has tackled some pretty difficult projects and has done an outstanding job on all of them (just see his interior thread). It is not something I would attempt.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM

I would guess if you want a driver quality installation with some wrinkles you could try it. I have installed tops on MGs and other small cars. They are a cake walk compared to your car. Let us know how it goes.

Lee
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM

I always wondered, with convertible tops so difficult and time-consuming to install, how did they ever do it at the factory with these cars rolling down the line? Did they pull the convertibles off the line and install the tops separately before sending the cars out the door?
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Wasn't this done at the Fisher plant? I would think the verts were run on separate lines from the hardtops........
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by leepear
I would guess if you want a driver quality installation with some wrinkles you could try it. I have installed tops on MGs and other small cars. They are a cake walk compared to your car. Let us know how it goes.

Lee
Well I'm looking for better than driver quality. I'm no slouch to this types of projects. But I've only done one other top and it was on a VW cabrio. We just don't have anyone good up her in T-town that I know of.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM

My .02...

I've done two tops on GM cars, both mid-60's cadillacs, but same basic install.

It wasn't that hard, short dealing with the broken screws, wire brushing / sanding / painting etc of the rusty frame areas you uncover...

BUT, I there are tricks to getting the canvas tight and wrinkle-free. I watched a video, had some help at some spots, and was still dis-satisfied with a few wrinkles and sags on both cars. But, in general, they looked good, and like any DIY project it was rewarding when all was done. I had a hard time getting the front header seal to look good and stay on correctly on both cars. If my attachment shows up, you can see a wrinkle to the rigt of the rear window that I of course notice every time I looked at the car.

I had a pro shop do my '70 olds, and the top was a tight as a drum. So, if you are looking for a top-quality job, I would def. take it into a shop that knows 60's - 70's american cars; they know the tricks and you will be much happier...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (77.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Dan K; October 28th, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I did a '72 Skylark (same top as yours) some years ago with just the Fisher Body Manual for instructions and didn't think it was too difficult. It took two full days of fiddling to get it right, but it looked good afterward.
Not a big deal, really, you've just got to have patience and be willing to play with it until it's right.

I would think that with the modern availability of videos you should be able to do it with no problem - I had to figure it all out for myself and it worked out fine.

- Eric
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM

MDchanic gives me a glimmer of hope. Dan K has some good advice also, so I'm not really sure what I want to do. I guess I need to watch some videos and decide if I can do it. Where do I find the videos?