General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cold Feet.......

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Cold Feet.......

[rant]

Well, the first of the repairs have begun for my 84 Toronado.....

It started with a thermostat change due to know heat output (and corresponding low guage reading), then ballooned into a water pump replacement....

Grr.....What a great way to spend my days off.....

I hired my father to do the bulk of the work, as he doesn't have the spinal issues that I do....

I got the little stuff (hoses, t-stat housing, belts) off the car, but he did the rest.....

I myself changed out the t-stat a day or two before the water pump let go......

Fired it up the next morning after the t-stat/cooling system bleed was done and the water pump locked up. No leakage from the weep hole, just flat out froze up.......

I shut it down in time to avoid completely smoking the belts, but I was PO'd none the less........

Now the new water pump is in, the new stat is in, however the belts are compromised.... Grrr.... Off they come again.......(they are as tight as they should be, but severely glazed, so now they slip, which means iffy PS boost at idle and about 210* running temp on the highway.

I will get the belts changed next week, but for now, she is running OK again.....

[/rant]

I also discovered that all 4 speakers are now shot, so I need to replace them too.....

The fronts are no biggie, but the rears are going to require some work...(cutting)

Unless someone has a trick up there sleeve?
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Welcome to the world of owning and older car. You never know what you have until you own it for a while. Start smiling its still better then owning a rice burner
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Uh oh....

I own a Rice Burner too.......

It's nice to have heat again.

My Jeep is 22 years old, so I have been thru it now too.... (currently down because of gasket leaks, it's a back-up vehicle, so I can tak my time on it..)