General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any experience with R4 AC Compressor new Scroll type?

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2023, 12:12 PM

Any experience with R4 AC Compressor new Scroll type?

Anyone have experience with R4 AC Compressor new Scroll type?

I've gone thru 5 OEM R4 compressors over 20 years on a 1979 Cutlass and everyone seized at some point some not run very long,

Each one professionally installed and paid thru the nose...

What happened after installation??

Fred
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:20 PM

Is the entire system being flushed when the compressor is replaced ? New orifice tube and receiver dryer ? Are you sticking with the R12 or trying to convert it, which I dont think works very well. My Wife's Riviera has almost 280k miles on it and the compressor was replaced once probably 20 years ago. I know when I did it that we replaced the receiver dryer and the orifice tube and flushed the rest of the hoses and the condenser and the evaporator with the kits they sell at most parts stores. I think I used two cans just to be sure. It still works better than the AC in my 99 Tahoe

One more thing . . . . are you driving the car fairly regularly ? I think that makes a huge difference.

Last edited by BillK; September 5th, 2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
Is the entire system being flushed when the compressor is replaced ? New orifice tube and receiver dryer ? Are you sticking with the R12 or trying to convert it, which I dont think works very well. My Wife's Riviera has almost 280k miles on it and the compressor was replaced once probably 20 years ago. I know when I did it that we replaced the receiver dryer and the orifice tube and flushed the rest of the hoses and the condenser and the evaporator with the kits they sell at most parts stores. I think I used two cans just to be sure. It still works better than the AC in my 99 Tahoe

One more thing . . . . are you driving the car fairly regularly ? I think that makes a huge difference.
Last go around I did all new everything with the AC guy i sprung for condenser, dryer, hoses, and NEW piston type R4 compressor, etc etc. lasted about 2 years.. then siezed one day of course out of warranty time... used it fairly frequently even in winter(defroster)

Just wondering if scroll type is having better luck in general..

Fred...
Old September 6th, 2023, 07:58 AM

Is the correct amount and kind of oil being put in the system. R4 compressors can last a very long time.
Old September 6th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
Is the correct amount and kind of oil being put in the system. R4 compressors can last a very long time.
that is a very good question who knows what the mechanic did or did not do..

NO one has answered their experience with scroll type compressor yet..
Old September 7th, 2023, 05:13 AM

I've heard from a few that have had these that they don't crank out the cold air well at low RPM's, such as when idling. That's about it.

I got tired of replacing the R-4 Compressors on my 79 Blue Calais which I've owned since 1984. Went through at least 5.

I went with a Sanden (rotary unit) and so far, it's been great. The kit comes with its own brackets. It is pricey but hopefully this stuff will last longer than the R-4's.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; September 7th, 2023 at 05:20 AM.
Old September 7th, 2023, 05:25 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Sorry to hear this. Yeah, R4 compressors can last a long time. I have also seen a lot of leaks and failures working in shops when these cars were on the road. Unfortunately the reman and some new aren't good and fail quickly. As soon as they get the death clatter, expert a seizure to come your way.
Old September 7th, 2023, 10:09 AM

A sound I am all too familiar with. It only happens on the hottest day of the year when you are hopelessly stuck in traffic. Count on it.