General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Which air cleaner to replace oil bath?

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Which air cleaner to replace oil bath?

I recently became the proud owner of a 1951 Super 88. It has this dinky aftermarket air cleaner on what I think is the original CARbureTER, with a big gap around it allowing air to bypass the filter. The car also came with the original oil bath, but I do not want to mess with it. I see this lovely after market cleaner on ebay which states It fits most standard 5 1/8" 4 barrel carbs, but I measure significantly less across the widest part diagonally. (I cannot find where I wrote my measurement right now, but am going to proceed with this post and update it later rather thank start over. Please tell me how much clearance I can afford to have and if the retro looking one on eeBay will work?)
Thanks!
Andrew

present air cleaner

the cleaner's lower opening is bigger than the gasket.
Old November 19th, 2018, 11:28 AM

If it were me, I would look for a paper filter that would fit inside the oil bath housing.
Old November 19th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your carb it not a "standard" 5 1/8" unit. It is the early style 4 7/32" air horn. You need this adapter to use a modern air cleaner.

Old November 19th, 2018, 12:44 PM

The carb looks like a Carter WCFB and is very rare, hang on to it. As far as filters, I've changed all my vehicles over to K&N. Not for bling but the K&N filter is far better than paper and doesn't need to be changed (cleaned) as often as paper. The oil bath probably works well but getting a correct unit for your car may be hard to find. Good luck.
Old November 19th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
As far as filters, I've changed all my vehicles over to K&N. Not for bling but the K&N filter is far better than paper and doesn't need to be changed (cleaned) as often as paper.
Every scientific test I've seen shows that the K&N passes MUCH more dust and dirt into the engine than a quality paper filter. Ironically, the first link below shows that the oiled mesh filters actually load up BEFORE the paper ones.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S221201731630...7f385389fef138

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tunin...szuroteszt.pdf

Old November 19th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Thanks for informing me of the carb rarity Shiftbyear, and Thanks for the great advice, particularly the science, Joe. Are those all your past cars or do you presently own the whole list? Wow! And for the 4 7/32 measurement confirmation. So are there no modern filters that will fit without the adapter? And does anyone know of a successful fitting of a paper filter in the oil bath per Dave's suggestion? Thanks to you all for a very informative welcome to the club.
Andrew
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aljmann
Thanks for informing me of the carb rarity Shiftbyear, and Thanks for the great advice, particularly the science, Joe. Are those all your past cars or do you presently own the whole list? Wow! And for the 4 7/32 measurement confirmation. So are there no modern filters that will fit without the adapter? And does anyone know of a successful fitting of a paper filter in the oil bath per Dave's suggestion? Thanks to you all for a very informative welcome to the club.
Andrew
Those are current vehicles, and that list doesn't include the parts cars...

The small diameter carbs haven't been made in over half a century. No one makes new air filters for them. They simply make the larger diameter filters and sell the adapter ring. The result is the same.
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:05 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I would clean and use the original oil bath air cleaner, especially if you aren't racking up lots of miles.
I agree with Joe about K&N filters, but that's by the way.

Roger.
Old November 25th, 2018, 03:40 PM

After considering all the above, I am not opposed to trying the original oil bath cleaner with oil in it. I have looked at lots of posts about air cleaners, but either I am missing what I am looking for or I need some generous person to post it: Please post a few pics and instructions regarding how to assemble and when and where to insert the oil and to what level. Perhaps start with how to clean the filter and housing........... I have never seen such a thing before.

And how do I add a pic to my profile?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by aljmann
After considering all the above, I am not opposed to trying the original oil bath cleaner with oil in it. I have looked at lots of posts about air cleaners, but either I am missing what I am looking for or I need some generous person to post it: Please post a few pics and instructions regarding how to assemble and when and where to insert the oil and to what level. Perhaps start with how to clean the filter and housing........... I have never seen such a thing before.

And how do I add a pic to my profile?

Thanks!
Andrew
When I worked on machinery with oil bath air cleaners the normal procedure was to remove and separate the air cleaner, remove all the oil and wipe the bath clean, rinse the air cleaner gauze with paraffin - kerosene to North Americans , fill the bath with the correct oil to the required level - normally there is a level mark on it. Reassemble and refit, taking care to keep it level. Usually SAE30 oil, but check for your particular engine.
Cheap, simple, and effective but a bit messy!.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; November 26th, 2018 at 08:13 AM.