No Start electrical

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2011 | 11:03 AM
Green Horn

No Start electrical

I got my 65 jetstar 88 out of storage, always on a battery tender. I drove it from the lower garage to the upper garage, turned it off, installed my convertible switch under the dash.

Now when I turn the key, the motor doesn't even try to turn over. I have power, lights work, convertible top lowers and raises. When I turn the key the "HOT" light lights up on the dash, usually the GEN light is on.

I'm guessing a wire came loose, any idea what color wire to look for, I didn't see any loose
Old February 13th, 2011 | 11:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Consider your starter solenoid.

Do the headlights come on bright when the car is off?

Do they dim when you turn to Start?

Do you hear any clicking?

If the lights don't dim at all, then you've probably got a bad ignition switch, or a bad connection between the switch and the solenoid (or the solenoid itself blew and is open - unlikely).

If they dim some, then at least you seem to have current going through the solenoid.
If they dim, but there's no clicking, consider inadequate voltage to the solenoid, causing it to draw current, but not make enough magnetic flux to pull in. This can be caused by the cumulative effect of invisible corrosion on a number of terminals over the years (don't ask me how I know...).

A hot wire to the S terminal of the solenoid will help answer questions, if you can reach it.

- Eric
Old February 13th, 2011 | 12:33 PM

Don't forget his ign switch is on the dash and there is the possibility that with the car being 46 years old he could have broken something.
Old February 13th, 2011 | 07:02 PM
Green Horn

After hours of tracing wires checking fuses etc, I found the wire to the starter motor was loose

I dont know how you electrical guys do it, i get so frustrated all over 1 wire haha! Thanks for the suggestions guys, much help!
Old February 17th, 2011 | 12:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

These things happen.
You can always find the problem by slowly tracing from the last "good" point to the "bad" spot, so long as you've got a good diagram.
You can prevent problems like loose wires by using the right lock washers or airplane nuts when putting things together.
Unfortunately, there's no accounting for what a previous owner might have done.
Glad you got it fixed!

- Eric