3 issues with ignition switch -- 66 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM

3 issues with ignition switch -- 66 Cutlass

I have noticed three issues with the ignition switch on my 66 Cutlass. They may all point to the same issue, but I'll describe them anyway:

1) I can't turn the key CCW from the initial 12 o'clock position, so I have no ACC1. I didn't even realize that I should until I read posts here! The barrel will push in only very slightly and won't turn CCW whether pushed in or not.

2) Sometimes when I remove the key, the speedometer (an after market Auto Meter) still shows 60 MPH (straight up). If I leave the car like that, I believe it drains the battery, and I have to jump it. I'm now careful to make sure that the needle goes back to zero, but there seems to be some short or misalignment causing this intermittent issue.

3) A week ago I drove for an hour, stopped for gas, and couldn't get started again. All lights and the radio would come on at ACC2 and turn off at Start, but there was no response from the engine whatsoever. Dead. I checked the collar around the ignition barrel and found it was very loose. As I adjusted that, I was able to turn the barrel CCW and CW and at one point I solved issue #1 above -- I could turn the key CCW and had an ACC1 position. But there was no change in the situation -- nothing happened under the hood. Eventually I landed on some position which, with the help of a jump, worked. The last several times I've started it since, there's been no problem, but, combined with the two issues above I need to get this fixed.

Could someone help with troubleshooting ideas? Let me know if you need pics or more info. I don't mind not having an ACC1, but I wasn't very happy being stuck at a gas station for an hour with a dead car!

Thanks,

Dave
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me.

A simple test would be to replace the switch - there are a few versions of that GM switch, but yours may be available through your local auto parts store.

- Eric