My first American car ... a 67 Delta 88 Custom ... in Australia !

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Cool My first American car ... a 67 Delta 88 Custom ... in Australia !

G'day to all Oldsmobile enthusiasts around the world,

My name is Gary and I have just joined the Oldsmobile Club of Australia.

About 4 months ago my father was offered a 1967 Oldsmobile from a deceased estate... and now it is mine !

I knew nothing about Oldsmobiles when he told me about it and was hardly interested until he said the words "Right-hand drive, 4 door, pillarless, big block" !

The car was parked under a carport in the coastal town of Lochsport in Victoria, Australia... about 2 and half hours drive from where I live on the outskirts of Melbourne.

A friend and I went for a drive with his panel guy to have a look at the car and I was hooked .. it was just what I was after and about half the price !

I had to get a longer than normal tilt-tray tow truck to go and pick it up... no brakes you see... no matter.

The Olds got looks from other vehicles even on a truck !

Well, she's running, stopping ( more about that some time ) and is currently on Club Registration ( limited use ) until I can get the paint cleaned up.

I will try to post some pictures here soon,

Cheers to you all,

Gary

Old March 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Nice
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Nice, Ya dont see too many Delta Customs....it pretty much was the Starfire for 1967 although it came in 2 door and 4 door models. I say this because the side chrome does resemble the 66 Sfire greatly. Ebay is a good place to hunt for parts.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Oh, I see the car has the optional Starfire engine with factory dual exhaust....thats pretty rare. It is rated at 375 HP....your car should move!
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Past Administrator

Gary,
Welcome to our site. Wow, that is a cool story about your car and how you ended up with it! Pontchief is from Norway, so now we are reperesented by the Northern end of the Northern hemisphere and the Southern end of the Southern hemisphere, and lots of us in the middle'ers . I think there are a couple from Canada as well. Hope to see pictures soon.
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Thanks for your comments guys ...

Yes, I am learning that an 67 Delta 88 Custom is not to common, even in the USA.

Oldsmaniac is correct - "Ruby" as my girlfriend Michelle has called her ( that's fitting as it was the name of my late Granmother who passed away about a year before I got the Olds ), is fitted with a Starfire motor and near new twin system.

The guy we bought it off had told us they had replaced the wheel cylinders in the front brakes a couple of years before. My mechanic called me and asked what the guy was on ( ie drugs ) as the front brakes could not have had the wheel cylinders replaced ... it has discs !

I was very happy at this information as I had been quoted A$1300.00 to convert it to discs ... but as it was the front calipers were pretty bad and cost A$935 ( inc. pads) to fix !

Now ... the brake story.

While the calipers were off being done my mechanic called to ask if I could take the car home as he had the rear brakes working okay and it's only about half a mile.

So my mate drove me up there and I picked it up ... brakes seemed okay ... keeping it slow

I got the first warning all was not as it seemed when the car did not quite come to a halt as I took the left turn lane off the main road into my estate... it was downhill you see ...

Anyway, I took it easy and didn't need to stop fully at the next 2 corners so all seemed ok on the flat.

I slowed right down as I got closer to home and drove into my driveway at a roll ... THEN I KNEW I'd made a big mistake ... it did the same thing ... didn't quite stop !

In the milliseconds I had I worked out the only thing that might stop it was the foot operated hand-brake ... located above the accelerator !

I knew if I hit the accelerator Id end up parked in the kitchen and then it hit the house - bump... stopped. OUCH

I was lucky I guess ... trying to stop a couple of ton with a pair of rear drums... it could've been much worse ... if I had hit someone or another car.

I got away with a crushed fender extension, a buckled guard and a bruised ego.

I have sourced everything needed to fix "Ruby" up and more ... I will keep adding pics.

I hope I'm not boring you all, 'cos there'll be more to come ...

Cheer's all.

Gary
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM

discs

Yes Paul,
The Old's is running 15 inch wheels and hubcaps.

I have a set of rear wheel covers too that I am going to get painted when I get the Olds painted later in the year.

Gary
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Hello, Welcome to the site. I have a couple 1967 Olds 98's. My Nephew has an 1967 Olds Delta Holiday Custom 2-door. I see yours has the Custom rear bumper with the lights in the lower bumper, same as my Nephew's. Pretty rare rear bumper. We have a habit of turning all our Olds into drag-racing cars. I am trying to break that habit. Here is a pic of his 1967 Olds at an Oldsmobile race meet. Car runs 11:80's @115mph, it is around 4000 LBS. Nice car. Talk again, Ken. 3-14-2007-22.jpg
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hello again, Here is my 1967 Olds 98 at the race track. Later, Ken 3-14-2007-42.jpg
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Freedom Fighter

Thumbs up

Welcome to a very rare club (67 Olds 88's). I am searching for minor parts but run across other items that you may need. I'll keep an out for your posts in the future. Always feel free to send an email too.

Here is a link to 'Daisy's' pics (my 9 year old named her that).

Happy cruisin'

Dave in Spokane Washington.
1967 Delta 88 Convertible

http://www.madmax.smugmug.com/gallery/2495242#130987364
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Past Administrator

Nice story. I really like when we have stories to tell about our Oldsmobiles. Maybe Admin could add a sub-forum for that...hmmmmm.
in the picture where it looks like someone is trying to get into the window or something, from the front, what is that white car in the background? 1950ish something....??
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:34 PM

a small diversion ... cop this

Thanks for making me so welcome here.

Here's a giggle for the collectors out there ... I used to own a 1967 GM Holden police car... not an Olds of course, but a very rare car as it had been fully restored by a serving Police Inspector to 1967 spec's with the help of the Victorian Police motor workshops.

It was fitted with fully operational bonnet mounted siren, blue light on the roof and era police radio !

Old March 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Back to the 67 88 Custom

Kennybill,
I like your families cars .... it's great to have performance AND class

Two nights after I worked out the deal to buy my Olds I was on Australian ebay and thought i'd do a search for Oldsmobile...

I nearly fell off my chair when there was someone selling a set of era Holley alloy rocker covers !

It was 3 weeks before I was to pick up my Olds so I wrote to him and he agreed not to re-list if they did not sell. I was checking them every day that week ! ... and they didn't sell !

So about a month later ( after recovering financially from the purchase of the car ) I sent him the A$150 and recieved them the next week in the post.

Since then I have an apology to make .... I have plundered Ebay motors in the USA for NEW bits and old ( old to fix the damage I did to RUBY, new for restoration parts ) but do not have the budget to get into the go fast bits yet.

after sitting for 6 to 7 years my Olds' motor fired up okay but I have not had it tested to know how good it really is .

more soon ...

Gary
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM

it might not be you ...

Paul,
Nice pics.

don't be too hard on yourself. Plenty of car enthuisiasts look after a car all it's life only to have the next owner kill it.

Still, you could have a point

cheers

Gary
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM

Wow for a long time i thought i was the only one to ever hear about a Delta Custom.

My first car back in 92/93 or so was a 1968 Olds Delta Custom 2dr holiday Coupe. Had the buckets and console shifter, tilt/telescopic wheel 455 2bl, i bought it from a freind of my dads for 500 bucks, and shortly after that had to rebuild the entire front end, ended up spinning a bearing in the engine and bought a 70 88 4dr for a parts car and swapped in the motor and trans and snagged the front disk brakes off it to swap on to my car. Swapped the 2bl for a 4bl carb and the car would top out somewhere north of 130+. was a fun car, and due to a stupid mistake i wrecked it, and couldnt find the parts to fix the front end and parted out what i could and scraped the rest.

I wish i had some pics of it, i really liked that car, and when i moved to Houston in 98 i seen one just like mine but i had a bench seat and the guy was asking 3500 for it or something like that, i thought about buying it, but wanted to find one with the buckets and console, have never seen another one since.

Great find.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome

Nice car.

Greetings from North Norway.

Per Arne
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM

Hi HotrodV6,
I'm glad I've bought back some good memories... I hope you find a Custom like your old one.
I am pretty happy with my 67, look forward to cleaning her up and the respray... my mate has some 2 pack paint in deep Maroon with gold fleck metallic in it.

Arne !
Cheers from Australia and thanks for your encouragement

Gary T
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM

I thought I'd set up a site ... feel free to join for updates :)

Greetings All,
I have sold one of my Aussie cars and am slowly progressing to sell another to get the $$ to paint my 67 Olds & reco the motor (425) .

Meanwhile I thought I would set up a site about my Olds - http://groups.msn.com/MyAussie67Olds88 .

drop in and join for free ... then you can get updates as it progresses

Cheers from a cold "Down Under"

Gary T
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM

An Update ... a 66 coupe soon to join the 67 4 door

G'day from "Down Under" !
Since last time I wrote here things have gone a little crazy ... both regarding my 67 Olds 88 and in many other ways.

as the Olds' are the main point of this forum I will stick to that and only touch on the other.

I have decided to convert my 67 to LPG only once the paint and panel work has been completed.

I have gone a little silly on US Ebay and have sourced an Edelbrock Torker manifold which arrived yesterday, "S" & "W" exhaust manifolds ... on their way, sports steering wheel, alloy rocker covers, and a huge number of tail-light spares and other stuff for the 67's restoration and upgrade.

I have also found a 66 2 door, 425ci, 3 speed manual Delta 88 which I hope to buy in the next couple of weeks.

So it is full steam ahead ...

check out the 66 at - http://groups.msn.com/MyAussie67Olds...upetocome.msnw

until next time ... take care out there

Gary T