THAR SHE BLOWS!

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM

THAR SHE BLOWS!

Found an '85. Going to see her tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
508099.jpg (37.8 KB, 70 views)
508099_1.jpg (34.0 KB, 48 views)
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

She's a beauty!! AND no one put big stupid wheels on it yet.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks. She is purrrty. Can't talk right now but I'll tell ya the story in a bit. bottom line is I bought her this afternoon out in Arlington Heights. 53,315 miles on it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
AND no one put big stupid wheels on it yet.
I can assure you noones gonna either, not while I own her. I'm ok w/ what I have but a set of rally wheels would make me all warm and fuzzy like.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:51 AM

big ugly wheels=pointless and expensive.disorg@sickening
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
in love with a '71 98

Congrats! She sure looks nice! Can't wait to hear more about the new ride, and some pics!

-Bob
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by thislilpiggy
I can assure you noones gonna either, not while I own her. I'm ok w/ what I have but a set of rally wheels would make me all warm and fuzzy like.
Looks like the real thing! Rally wheels OK, as long as you store the rims & hubcaps properly! Looks to be in shape to keep original, in which case the original hubcaps & rims make more valuable!

Ralph
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmohaulic
big ugly wheels=pointless and expensive.disorg@sickening
I don't think mosta them guys know how to use a 'puter anyway.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM

Thanks Bob, I'll get some pictures for sure. Gotta get to the Secretary of State for plates and all that fun stuff.
German my friend, forgive me but I have my heart set on Olds Rally wheels. The rims and hubcaps are in great shape but I am missing the Olds insignia on one, the right front side hubcap. Should'nt be too hard to find, ya think? Also the right side mirror is a dummy. No doubt the lady I bought it from knocked off the original. She was very old and seemed to have most her marbles. No basket case by any stretch. I think she just realized she could'nt maybe should'nt be driving anymore.
Anyway if/when I change out the wheels I'll definitly put the hubcaps and rims up so I have em.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM

German my friend, forgive me but I have my heart set on Olds Rally wheels. The rims and hubcaps are in great shape but I am missing the Olds insignia on one, the right front side hubcap. Should'nt be too hard to find, ya think? Also the right side mirror is a dummy. No doubt the lady I bought it from knocked off the original. She was very old and seemed to have most her marbles. No basket case by any stretch. I think she just realized she could'nt maybe should'nt be driving anymore.
Anyway if/when I change out the wheels I'll definitly put the hubcaps and rims up so I have em.
Like I said- you want rally wheels, no prob. Just wanted to mention that as nice as that ride is, you need to keep all original stuff. And yes, I'd want to get the cap center & original mirror. Car's not that old, so you should be able to get the parts.

Ralph
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I should have your mirrors, and hub cap emblems. Rally wheels out this way are cheap. $25 a piece at the junkyard.

Crazyboutolds on here may have the correct delta rally wheel hubcaps
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM

I should have your mirrors, and hub cap emblems. Rally wheels out this way are cheap. $25 a piece at the junkyard.

See? Sounds like a plan coming together!

Ralph
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:42 AM

Mighty generous of ya. Im going to take pics today for sure and show you exactly what I need. If you have the parts thats great. We can work it out however is most convenient for you.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM

Coupla snapshots of The Edna Jean and her security detail on the far right.
She needs a good cleaning.
Attached Images
11-3-2009-25.jpg (90.1 KB, 35 views)
11-3-2009-27.jpg (81.6 KB, 28 views)
11-3-2009-21.jpg (98.6 KB, 32 views)
11-3-2009-12.jpg (71.5 KB, 23 views)
11-3-2009-10.jpg (78.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by thislilpiggy; November 3rd, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM

Not very good pictures.
Attached Images
11-3-2009-16.jpg (80.3 KB, 20 views)
11-3-2009-20.jpg (77.9 KB, 15 views)
11-3-2009-23.jpg (88.8 KB, 27 views)
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Do I see a little rust spot behind the rear wheel?

Ralph
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Registered

Pretty nice.
I like it a lot.

The white color with whitewalls and spoked wire wheel covers is very classy and elegant.
It would be more young and sporty looking with Rallys though.

It looks like it should be in Florida with a bag of golf clubs in the trunk now.
Do you have to wear a hat while driving it and go really slow just to bother people?

I jest, but it does look like a snowbird car.
All of them are white and sit in parking garages at upscale apartment buildings all summer until transporters take them back to Florida to sit down there all winter.
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Pretty nice looks like a great find. Just a little spot of rust not bad at all. I like the wheels it has on it I think they fit the car. I'm sure the rally wheels will look nice too.
Good luck with your car.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Thats funny about the snowbird car, it does fit the bill. Ayep, there is just a tad bit of rust right behind the rear wheel. Matter of fact I did'nt realize it until German Ralph pointed it out. I went out and looked and sure eneugh there it was. Not bad but not good either. I honestly havn't found the time to really go over her or even wash her and it'll be a week tomorrow since I bought it. This wknd I'll get on it for sure. Any recommendations on what to do to stop it (rust) where its at on the cheap?
See thats my problem, all the cards are stacked against me.....
1) I'm no mechanic by ANY stretch.
2) I'm lackin the cha-$$-ching to have somebody do the work for me.
3) I have nowhere to put them.
4)Wish I had a nice station wagon. If I had'nt found this I seriously woulda considered talking to that guy that posted his fathers car in the newbie section this wk. (I forget his name)

HA! Anyway the list goes on & on but I don't want to bore you guys.

The more I think about it I gotta look at the bright side, how bad can things be if the above are my biggest most pressing problems at the moment!
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Hi again!

Don't need to be a mechanic, but as nice as that ride is, I'd be down under it & finding out how that spot looks from the other side, preferably soonest!
If you're lucky, a good clean, sand the spot, rust retarding primer, down to the Olds dealer (or any parts store worth it's salt!) for matching paint & you're done before it gets worse!
The car deserves it!

Ralph
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Hi German Ralph,
I was looking at it just this a.m. and it's not bad at all. I should be able to nip it in the bud w/o much effort or cost. It's just below the paint, not soft or nothin like that but I do have to get on it. Also had to pull onea the caps off to get a bolt pattern measurement. Turns out it's 4 3/4 but I had to be sure. They said the majority are 4.75 but a few were 5. Talk to ya later.

Last edited by thislilpiggy; November 5th, 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Pull the chrome strip off behind the right rear wheel. It's usually really ugly back there. Even a Texas car has rust behind those things.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Yeah J, I'll find out. I got a friend thats a good body man, Ill ask him to go over it. There may be rust hiding but theres none I can see other than the obvious behind the wheel. I have every intention of getting her up as close to 100% as possible. I have rims ordered and on the way but dont wanna put those on until all the minor details are ironed out. detailsdetails...............Ill get her there.

Last edited by thislilpiggy; December 21st, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah J, I'll find out. I got a friend thats a good body man, Ill ask him to go over it. There may be rust hiding but theres none I can see other than the obvious behind the wheel. I have every intention of getting her up as close to 100% as possible. I have rims ordered and on the way but dont wanna put those on until all the minor details are ironed out. detailsdetails...............Ill get her there.

edit to add...The whole exhaust system looks brand spankin' new so I called and asked if she'd had it replaced recently. The reply was no she hadn't replaced anything only the mirror. It's in great shape and I was lucky eneugh to get it for close to 1/2 of what she was asking for it. The pictures do this ride no justice. Not braggin' just sayin it like it is. Lotta good positive & helpful guys but on the flip side of the coin theres a whole lotta haters everywhere you go, internet included. This last comment is in no way directed to anyone I've 'talked' to here on CO. ThisiLilPiggy VII XII
Sounds like you're going to do it right!

Ralph
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I found a semi complete set of delta wire wheel covers when I went out back looking for you. 2 of the pot metal lock nubs are missing, but all 4 emblems are there. They are all full of leaves and will need to be cleaned up, but what do you expect? I threw them in the woods behind my house years ago. That's what I do with junk no one will buy and I don't want in the garage. "Somebody will want it some day." I tell myself.
I also have a pile of trim pieces I'll give you. I'm not putting them back onto my cars.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Delta Super Stock wheels

Olds did offer super stock wheels for Deltas in the 80's. The only difference is they have a larger brushed metal center piece that extends farther from the center. The Olds rocket is embossed and painted into the center. Some of you out there must know which ones I'm talking about. I bought a set of them for my 1983 98 and found out they were the wrong bolt pattern. Didn't realize at the time that not all Delta parts couldn't be transfered to a 98. The 98 is heavier and apparently uses bigger/stronger front end components?? Anyway, if I can find that pic, I'll post it for you. FYI the car will look SUPER COOL with those factory super stocks. The wire wheels? They're ok, but a real PITA to keep clean.

Congrats on your new car.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Very Nice..
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Looks pretty good.
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Got them rallys on her.

I cant get the piks up, says theyre too big and I hafta resize them manually wich I have NO idear how to do. Ill get em up eventually.

I put a set of Cooper whitewalls on as well. Is it just me or are whitewalls getting harder to find?

Last edited by thislilpiggy; November 28th, 2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add pic
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:59 AM

I found a semi complete set of delta wire wheel covers when I went out back looking for you. 2 of the pot metal lock nubs are missing, but all 4 emblems are there. They are all full of leaves and will need to be cleaned up, but what do you expect? I threw them in the woods behind my house years ago. That's what I do with junk no one will buy and I don't want in the garage. "Somebody will want it some day." I tell myself.
I also have a pile of trim pieces I'll give you. I'm not putting them back onto my cars.
Hey J, Sorry havnt had a chance to get back to you sooner but if or when you get a chance can you send me a pm or contact me here. I'd like to talk to ya about buyin' that mirror (passenger side) and wheel thingamajigger. Also I need the little piece of trim on the top of the back psngr side window. THANKS!
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice car!

And yes, white walls are getting harder to find. There are only a couple of manufacturers left making them, Cooper, Good Year, and Firestone. Not sure about anyone else.

Good luck with your new ride.
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Delta Super Stock wheels

......... forgive me but I have my heart set on Olds Rally wheels. ..........
Didn't forget about you my friend. Your car has 15 inch wheels. So if you get a set of 15 inch SS111 wheels, check out this auction that's currently going on with ebay. The guy has the 4 center caps that were exclusive for Delta 88s.

These are not perfect, but can be cleaned up real nice. The side brushed surfaces look cherry, the tops will need some HD polishing and paint for the Olds logos. Once that's done they should be perfect. It will really dress up you car and make it look sportier.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

All you'll need extra are the trim rings which are easy to get. BTW whether you decide to go for these or not, you've got a heck of a nice car. Either way it's easy on the eyes.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks Alot Alan R. I appreciate it.
Also MUCHO THANKS to Chicagos ultimate B Body Man himself, the one the only (drumroll please).......... J-Chicago!

Thanks All

Last edited by thislilpiggy; December 26th, 2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: G to B
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Hate to ruin my fanfare here, but the Deltas are B bodies.
I'll try pulling that trim for you today.
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM

yeah yeah details details.....That Sir J is precisly why I designated you as my official go to man! Don't worry I won't be too much of a pest.
J, I got everything but that piece for the rear psngr side window! Think I can come out and get er from ya? At your convenience of course. In all seriousness you do some pretty impressive work my friend. It was kool to meet you and see what you got goin out there. 'preciate ya havin me over. TLP
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM

shes a beauty i have a 84 delta 88 i love these cars the ride is amazing and i love the style of these cars take good care of her, congrats and good luck, some parts are getting harder to find though, like grilles tail lights and those headlight bezels, (atleast in south jersey) so when you do find parts at the junkyard get as many as you can, plus for the most part caprices, lesabres, parisiennes and others from the early 80's will interchange with the delta 88 (doors, interior and some engine parts)
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM
GM Enthusiast

Any new pics with the rims on her?
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Past Administrator

Nice looking car, would love to see the pics with the new wheels on her.
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM

I have piks but it says they won't fit & I just can't figure it out. Can I send em to onea you guys that can put em up for me???

While I'm at it I gotta give J-Chicago another BIG THUMBS UP! Thanks again J.
Ok, thanks guys and thanks for the compliments.
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 84oldsDelta88
shes a beauty i have a 84 delta 88 i love these cars the ride is amazing and i love the style of these cars take good care of her, congrats and good luck, some parts are getting harder to find though, like grilles tail lights and those headlight bezels, (atleast in south jersey) so when you do find parts at the junkyard get as many as you can, plus for the most part caprices, lesabres, parisiennes and others from the early 80's will interchange with the delta 88 (doors, interior and some engine parts)
Thanks for the tips. I was not sure but I thought there was a good chance alotta parts the cars you listed could be interchangeable with the Deltas.

Quick Reply: THAR SHE BLOWS!