Estimated value

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Estimated value

I know a car is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

1974 Delta 88 convertible, 455- 4bbl dual exhaust, posi trac. 45k original miles. Power windows, tilt wheel, cruise control, remote mirrors both sides, factory am/fm 8 track, power antenna, trunk release,tempamatic a/c.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM

With no rust and good paint I would say in the 8 thousand dollar range.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
With no rust and good paint I would say in the 8 thousand dollar range.
I would think that a 45k mile all original 455 dual exhaust example, should bring a bit more. I've seen equivalent 350 ci. cars bring more than $8k.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM

Well 45,000 miles means the car was sitting.....sitting can be worse than driving a vehicle....seals dry out, brake parts stick, gunk forms in the cooling system and crankcase and when started it usually is lubricant starved from long bouts of idleness. Paint can become dull and weatherstrips dry. Critters can build nests, rust attacks exhaust piping and interiors can mold. The full size vehicles are really not in demand. The only interesting thing about the car you mention is that it is a convertable.....Hows the Top?.....In 74 the 455 was mearly a gas guzzler with not much guts....You wanted an opinion and this is mine. I do have 4 full size Oldsmobiles from the mid 60's and am quite active in the old car hobby so I have something to base my opinion on. Good Luck with the sale of your car.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:24 PM

I've already been offered $12k, but my buddy says it worth around $16k
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

That must be one clean car then. Rather all original in excellent condition or a very good restoration.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM

It's all original, with a brand new top.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:56 AM

This is from the NADA website.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...&z=75006&da=-1
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM

Well with all the info you have already I dont know why you would ask someones opinion on the value of the car.....seems like you know already what its worth, but maybe even more than you think so dont settle for anything under 20 G's. You wouldnt want to give the thing away. Right?
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM

Well with all the info you have already I dont know why you would ask someones opinion on the value of the car.....seems like you know already what its worth, but maybe even more than you think so dont settle for anything under 20 G's. You wouldnt want to give the thing away. Right?

I'm a new member here, thanks for the warm welcome.......
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM

I would say you are welcome. Seen new members here similar to your apparent motive.....Log in or register mearly to get the "inside scoop" from people who are in the know or perhaps your here to interest Oldsmobile collectors who will pay "stupid money" for a car they just have to have. A collector looking for their brand of car will pay more than market value if its something sought after. Or too some come here to sell their cars. As a new member why would you want to sell your car if you are truely an Oldsmobile guy? Im only one person and skeptical of your motives here. If Ive pegged you wrong Im sorry. It just seemed to me, and it still does, that you are looking for dollar signs of glamour with the 74 convert that in my book doesnt exist. A nice car yes, Barrett Jackson material surely not. If I havent scared you away yet maybe you will decide to keep the car, enjoy it, drive it, then join the OCA and a Chapter or local car club. Then become familiar with this make and model and help others with info and mechanicals on this site. Time will tell.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM

I would say you are welcome. Seen new members here similar to your apparent motive.....Log in or register mearly to get the "inside scoop" from people who are in the know or perhaps your here to interest Oldsmobile collectors who will pay "stupid money" for a car they just have to have. A collector looking for their brand of car will pay more than market value if its something sought after. Or too some come here to sell their cars. As a new member why would you want to sell your car if you are truely an Oldsmobile guy? Im only one person and skeptical of your motives here. If Ive pegged you wrong Im sorry. It just seemed to me, and it still does, that you are looking for dollar signs of glamour with the 74 convert that in my book doesnt exist. A nice car yes, Barrett Jackson material surely not. If I havent scared you away yet maybe you will decide to keep the car, enjoy it, drive it, then join the OCA and a Chapter or local car club. Then become familiar with this make and model and help others with info and mechanicals on this site. Time will tell.

I never said I was selling it. You just assumed I was. Truth be told, I just purchased it, and already someone had made me an offer. I came here to get information, just like 100% of all the other enthusiasts.

I collect cars. I'm also more than capable of working on them. I may keep this car 20 years, or I may decide to sell it tomorrow, that shouldn't concern anyone but me.

http://home.comcast.net/~corvette.co...ome.html-.html
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

Just my 2 cents. Deltarocket, I can understand your enthusiasm. New car for you, convertable, rare, probably you have never seen one before, etc. Your excitment is understandable, you want to know more about it and how valuable it is because it will make you feel better about buying it, especially if you paid much less for it than the general consensus turns out valuating it.

On the other hand you gotta understand maniac too. I have seen the same thing, someone posts about a new car, asks a few questions about it, then that's the last we hear of them. I can show you a list five pages long of members with less than 5 posts on this site. We want to share our fanaticism for Oldsomobiles with others and many of us show up here every day multiple times. Many of us are Olds owners from our first car up and even now own mulitple Oldsomobiles. When someone posts about their new Olds and it turns out they also own a '65 Mustang, a '69 Cuda convert, a '48 Chevy stovebolt, a '73 Camaro, etc, etc we wonder if the really share our excitement for olds. Not saying you fit into that description, you probably don't. I guess what I am asking you is your forgiveness for our attitude, we want everyone to love thier Olds as much as we love ours.........
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:02 AM

I've been around Oldsmobiles most of my life. That's all my dad would buy. I myself have owned a few. 70', 72' and 73' all were 98's. I grew up driving big boats, and loved it. This is my first Delta 88. I did pay a premium for this car, abit more than $8k, but I bought it for my daughters sweet 16. As a collector, and one who visits different car forums, I have noted a few people looking down at Barrett Jackson, and all those folks that are putting down a good chunk of change for all these old cars, but look at it this way. It has sparked new interest in these old cars, most of which were just rotting away and forgotten. Our own government started a campaign to get rid of those that had remained, by offering cash, just to melt them down. True the higher prices may keep the average joe from owning one, but many average joe's have made some decent cash fixing them up and selling them. You shouldn't look down at those that came here just to get info for a car they just want to sell, because it's those same folks that are stirring interest for these cars.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

With the most recent info given if true I will say I had you wrong. Im not reluctant to apologize or admit I was wrong. Paying more than my suggestion of worth is nothing of concern. Without a picture or in person inspection it is very hard to put a value on a car. An opinion is something everyone has and is only that. I paid 3 G's for a basket case 59 98 convert. It was worth maybe 500 bucks tops but it was something I had to have. After 10 years it still isnt done but I worry not. Enjoy the new ride!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

I accept your apology
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM

If you really want to sell it 12K is a good offer. The Delta's don't command big money because everyone wants Cutlass/442's. I saved my 71 Delta, it was border-line save/part-out car when I got it. Since then I has passed on 2 Delta convertibles that done cheaper than what I have in mine. I have 7K in it. It's not for sale but I would have hard time getting 8/10K out of it. They are nice driving cars, just enjoy them. I figure I won't make any money but I won't loose any either, can't say that about a newer car! Welcome to the Board. I also have a 1966 Dynamic conv, solid but need all redone, ya, another money pit! Later, Ken
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Hello again, one more thing. Hmmm buy 8K sell 12K. 50% profit, not bad. Do that 3/4 times a year and you can put your Daughter thru College! Good Luck, Ken
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Just to add a line to all of this I myself havent posted very many times but have read most of the postings. I have gathered much information and love to hear the stories of the love of our toys I too am an olds lover my first was a 72 Delta drop top that I had poured most of my money into as a twenty somethin I had the time of my life in that car and will never forget the great times. In 1993 I lost it in a flood totalled it out one of the saddest days of my life. I bought another Delta this time it was a 1971 I've had it for about 12 years now and hopefully will get it back from my buddy's paint shop before the big easter show in st. louis I wont win any prize but I will be as proud as any winner there! Thank's guys for having this site for me and other's who love their cars and those who just wanna ask a question god bless you Bob