SPOOL HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM

SPOOL HELP

I am trying to find a spool for my 67 Cutlass. I believe the rear end in an 8.2 “B” , which is a cone limited slip and I think it would then have an 8.25 ring gear, by the markings/design of it. On the track one wheel doesn’t always spin at the same rate as the other one in the water box or when leaving the water box.
I have attached 2 pictures of the rear end to ensure I have identified it correctly.
Let me know if you can help me locate a spool and/or if I have correctly identified the rear end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IM002786.jpg (53.0 KB, 22 views)
IM002784.jpg (42.4 KB, 20 views)
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM

spool

Ok, Yes you have a B type axle. 1967 is good because you can use all the pontiac GTO tempest lemans parts and also 65-67 olds 8.2 10 bolt parts too.
The after market makes posi units and gears for your housing too.

NOW if you have a limited slip diff (positraction) (your calling it a spool and probably should call it the 'carrier unit' posi or open and the rear end housing would be the whole 'rear axle assembly'. then we have 'axle shafts '

SPOOL: to most guys is for drag racing and will permanently lock both axle shafts togehter never having any slip or unlock effect in corners...strickly and drag race item.

MINI SPOOL : are 4 blocks in most rears that lock the rear as a spool does but cheaper and there is no need to change a carrier unit or in ford 9" case it is a single little round spool that goes into a carrier unit.

Finally you have ID ed the rear correctly...BUT you really need to make certain you have a LSD unit (limited slip diff unit ) in the housing assembly, the only way to truely know is to open the rear cover. then you will be able to find out the ratio from the outer diameter edge of the ring gear and if you post pics we can tell you if it is a LSD unit or open standard carrier (single wheel peel)

If you do need not help please ask or visit www.jdrace.com i am there too. Just GM diff info and help.

If you want your original posi unit reconditioned we can do that or ask for pricing on a new unit too. Hope this all helps. Jim

I added a picture of what the unit will look like...Obviously not as clean this is what yours would look like when recondtioned.
Attached Images

Last edited by monzaz; April 18th, 2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: add picture
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM

spool

I know mine isnt a spool, I am looking for a spool or mini spool. I just wasnt sure if I would be ordering the correct one if I ordered a 10 bolt 8.2 spool or mini spool. I have yet to see a true spool but I think I have seen a couple mini's in catalogs. I have a limited slip/posi now. Can you put a mini spool in that carrier unit? I thought you had to have an open carrier unit to put a mini spool into.
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I believe Brian Trick made a spool for the 8.2...
I can't remember exactly.
When I went to a spool I switched to a 9"
But when I raced with my Olds rear, I used a posi-carrier from Reider Racing. It was a little noisy but was a nice unit.
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM

spool

Yah, I do not think there is a full spool available for the olds/buick/pontiac 10 bolts. auburn I think makes a mini spool that might work. Just have to be careful you have the correct angle spline or the axles spline teeth will be loose in the side gear/block of the mini spool. If they are using a chevy 8.2 which would probably work in the 8.2 early buick units because they have th esmaller diameter cross shaft like a chevy does. The 68 and later and the pontiac cross shaft pin is larger .795 in size. like a 8.5 size.

SO... all this said NO a mini spool will not work in your posi unit. you need a open carrier I astually have a 3.36 3.55 and up OPEN carrier that will work in yours if you need better gears and want to try a mini spool set-up. Jim
Attached Images
8.2 bop gto.jpg (56.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by monzaz; April 18th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM

Jim I may take you up on that open rear carrier, I dont need any gears since I have 3.90's right now. It may be a little bit since I just had to purchase a new fuel pump and regulator, aluminum water pump and some plugs. Darn think is laying down at the top end and only getting 4 lbs pressure at the carb. How much you want for it?
Dave
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Jim, send me a PM on how much you need out of the open rear carrier.
Thanks
Dave