Trunk Release Button Color - 1970

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Question Trunk Release Button Color - 1970

Hello Groupies,

I'm trying to confirm if my 1970 Cutlass Supreme has the "correct" trunk release button in the glove box. Mine is black. For what it's worth, the car was built in New Jersey in March of 1970.

I've been told the color should be yellow, but then again I've seen a trunk release assembly on eBay that was pulled from a 1970 car and was black.

Anyone with confirmed knowledge in this area please share. Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM

1970 uses a black button with a silver surround. I had one in my 1970 post and I have one sitting in the garage waiting to go into my 442.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Oldsdruid

In all honesty I wouldn't sweat a detail like this. The electric trunk release was commonly DEALER installed and they would use whatever was on the shelf- be it black, white or yellow button. They didn't get hung up on that type stuff if it would make or break or sale. The suppliers used all three colors and I've heard of red ones, but never seen one.

You run into the same thing with the vacuum trunk release buttons. Some are chrome, some are black, depending on what Trico or Anco was doing that day.

If you're sure the car originally came with the electric release, either as a factory option or installed by dealer before delivery, then you have the correct color button. A factory or confirmed pre-delivery dealer installation trumps what any "expert" says, and I have gone by that premise in some 20 years of OCA National judging.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Great. Thanks Randy
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
In all honesty I wouldn't sweat a detail like this. The electric trunk release was commonly DEALER installed and they would use whatever was on the shelf- be it black, white or yellow button. They didn't get hung up on that type stuff if it would make or break or sale. The suppliers used all three colors and I've heard of red ones, but never seen one.

You run into the same thing with the vacuum trunk release buttons. Some are chrome, some are black, depending on what Trico or Anco was doing that day.

If you're sure the car originally came with the electric release, either as a factory option or installed by dealer before delivery, then you have the correct color button. A factory or confirmed pre-delivery dealer installation trumps what any "expert" says, and I have gone by that premise in some 20 years of OCA National judging.

Excellent information. Thanks rocketraider
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM

My 70 442 has a factory installed power trunk.

The button is black, and it sits in a chrome bezel.

70 is the only year for the chrome bezel type button.