1970 Service Bulletins

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM

Question 1970 Service Bulletins

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a link to Oldsmobile Service Bulletins for the 1970 Cutlass? An Olds mechanic here in St. Louis seemed to think there might have been a bulletin on the lugnuts for SS1 Rally wheels and I wanted to read the details.

I think some of the bulletins are engine specific - I have a 350 V8 4bbl.

Thanks for any info.
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
Trying to remember member

I have the bulletins, and for model year and calendar year 1970, I find no reference to lug nuts and SSI wheels.
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks wmachine. Out of curiosity, how many Service Bulletins were there for 1970 Cutlass Supremes?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM

A bit difficult to determine that. There are different "types" of bulletins and some apply to multiple engines and some apply to parts of engine/s, like carbs.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stlbluesbrother
Pardon me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a link to Oldsmobile Service Bulletins for the 1970 Cutlass? An Olds mechanic here in St. Louis seemed to think there might have been a bulletin on the lugnuts for SS1 Rally wheels and I wanted to read the details.

I think some of the bulletins are engine specific - I have a 350 V8 4bbl.

Thanks for any info.
What exactly are you looking for in regards to the lugnuts? I can get you part numbers and stuff. If you are looking for torque, that's going to be the same as standard wheels. The only wheels I know of that need higher torque specs are aluminum or alloy.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM

The mechanic I previously mentioned thought there might be a bulletin warning owners of SSI Rally wheels who use capped lug nuts. Something to the effect there might be a bit of play in the fit. Its quite possible there was no bulletin at all - I just wanted to do some due dilligence before proceeding with that setup.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:43 AM

I have to say that there is something familiar sounding about this. I don't think your mechanic is dreaming. Not that I remember seeing anything from Oldsmobile on this, but........
I believe there is a problem with SSI wheels with the lug holes deforming. Meaning among other things that they can mushroom and open up a little. I think the original (and correct repo) capped lug nuts are a little bit smaller that they really should be and can seat too deep in the hole to be totally safe.
Now this may be as much a problem with the lugs nuts as the wheel. Most "chrome lug nuts" I've seen have much larger seat areas and would be more secure.
I suggest you look very closely at how the nut seats in the hole to see if you have a potential problem.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM

I think you're right - I'll confirm with the mechanic this weekend. Thanks for sharing that info Kurt.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM

Please let us know what he says.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I believe there is a problem with SSI wheels with the lug holes deforming. Meaning among other things that they can mushroom and open up a little. I think the original (and correct repo) capped lug nuts are a little bit smaller that they really should be and can seat too deep in the hole to be totally safe.
Now this may be as much a problem with the lugs nuts as the wheel. Most "chrome lug nuts" I've seen have much larger seat areas and would be more secure.
wmachine - you are spot on with your explanation. I spoke with the Olds mechanic last weekend and he said the old lugs have a small seat and have a tendency to bottom out on the wheel seat hole over a prolonged period of time. He recommended using a lug one size larger (say 13/16 or so) if you intend to drive the car often and far.

My car is a weekend warrior mobile, but I may swap out for a larger set to be on the safe side.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM

wmachine - you are spot on with your explanation. I spoke with the Olds mechanic last weekend and he said the old lugs have a small seat and have a tendency to bottom out on the wheel seat hole over a prolonged period of time. He recommended using a lug one size larger (say 13/16 or so) if you intend to drive the car often and far.

My car is a weekend warrior mobile, but I may swap out for a larger set to be on the safe side.
Smart move. Why take chances.
Thanks for getting back to us. I tip my hat to your mechanic for knowing and advising you of this.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM

Y'know, I think I have a whole folder of service bulletins sitting around . . .

What I'd like to find is a bunch of dealer bulletins like attached - anyone know? Sorry for the hijack, although it seems that the problem was solved so I felt taking liberties was quasi-kosher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970_455ProductionBulletin.jpg (55.0 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Diego; October 1st, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM

That's what I posted!

I'd like to find more. I have a GREAT collection of '68-69 bulletins but don't really know where to find them. I got them with my dealer books, but it's not always the case?
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
I have a GREAT collection of '68-69 bulletins but don't really know where to find them.
You lost them?
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM

That's what I posted!

I'd like to find more. I have a GREAT collection of '68-69 bulletins but don't really know where to find them. I got them with my dealer books, but it's not always the case?
Yes it is. I just inserted the pic so we don't have to click on the attachment to see it.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM

Kurt, I still have them. I just don't know where I would find '70s.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM

Kurt, I still have them. I just don't know where I would find '70s.
I'm still confused: If you still have them, what are you looking for? Are you specifically looking for 1970 Bulletins?
Attached Images
1970 W35 rearwing.1.jpg (36.3 KB, 31 views)
1970 W35 rearwing.2.jpg (35.3 KB, 30 views)
SXBulletin.jpg (48.7 KB, 30 views)
SX bulletin1.jpg (49.0 KB, 37 views)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM

I have 1968-69 and would like to find 1970s plus earlier and later years, plus different brands as well.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Here are some pictures I took before/after lug nuts were replaced on the SSI wheels. The first shot depicts the 3/4 diameter lug seating inside the wheel hole. The second picture attempts to show a 13/16 lug seating properly against the wheel. It's hard to see, but there is a gap between the wheel and the perimeter of the lug nut.

If the wheel seat mushrooms out any further I may have to replace the wheels all together. Hopefully, it won't happen any time soon.
Attached Images
Bad - lug seats poorly.jpg (52.9 KB, 74 views)
Good - lug seats better.jpg (47.1 KB, 75 views)
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here are some pictures I took before/after lug nuts were replaced on the SSI wheels. The first shot depicts the 3/4 diameter lug seating inside the wheel hole. The second picture attempts to show a 13/16 lug seating properly against the wheel. It's hard to see, but there is a gap between the wheel and the perimeter of the lug nut.

If the wheel seat mushrooms out any further I may have to replace the wheels all together. Hopefully, it won't happen any time soon.
I assume by 3/4 and 13/16, you mean the wrench size, not the diameter. Also, I can see the gap on the second photo, and it is due to the fact that the lug nut is not tapped deeply enough for your wheel studs. Get different lug nuts.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I assume by 3/4 and 13/16, you mean the wrench size, not the diameter. Also, I can see the gap on the second photo, and it is due to the fact that the lug nut is not tapped deeply enough for your wheel studs. Get different lug nuts.
Joe, I think he means that in the second photo, the lug nut *is* seating properly with the "gap" simply meaning there is still more diameter to the lug nut left after it seats, where the "stock" sized one in the first pic has the entire seating area of the lug nut sinking into the hole in the rim.
SBB, correct me if I'm wrong here.

BL, after the rim holes mushroom just a little (which they're prone to do) the stock sized chrome (ss cappedl) lug nutss are too small (diameter-wise)
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I assume by 3/4 and 13/16, you mean the wrench size, not the diameter.
Yes, wrench size. The lug nuts with the 13/16 wrench size also have a larger seating area.

Originally Posted by wmachine
Joe, I think he means that in the second photo, the lug nut *is* seating properly with the "gap" simply meaning there is still more diameter to the lug nut left after it seats, where the "stock" sized one in the first pic has the entire seating area of the lug nut sinking into the hole in the rim.
SBB, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Kurt, you are exactly right - the lug nut is plenty deep for the wheel stud, and the gap refers the space between the flush seat and the hex area.

And, yep, the "stock" lug nut (1st pic) was seating inside the wheel hole with the hex area up against the rim. Fortunately, this was noticed immediately after mounting the new tire/wheel to the car.