fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2015, 11:33 PM

fuel injection?

i have a 1980 cutlass calais with a 350 and a four barrel,not original,would it be possible to put fuel injection on it?
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:55 PM

Blasphemer!
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:34 AM

maybe so but can it be done? i have been called worse by my ex.
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Several good threads on here. A search for Fuel Injection should turn them up. No reason you can't, just time and money.

Tim
Originally Posted by neatolds
maybe so but can it be done? i have been called worse by my ex.
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

There was an EFI Olds 350 from the factory - but it was only used in the first gen Cadillac Seville. These cars also use a prehistoric analog computer and don't even use an O2 sensor - they are always open loop. People have successfully converted them to digital control using both GM and aftermarket computers.

The real question is, how skilled are you in tuning an EFI, and how much do you want to spend. The easy way is to get a new self-tuning aftermarket TBI unit. These are pretty easy to install. Expect to pay upwards of $2000 by the time you are done.

The next way is to scavenge all the parts from a 1987-1994 Chevy pickup with TBI and a 350. The stock PROM will be close enough to get the car running acceptably if the engine is relatively stock. A new custom PROM is required if your engine has any significant mods. You'll also need a TBI adapter plate for your intake. Expect to pay about $500 for everything.

Finally, if you have electronics skills, you can go with a MegaSquirt setup.
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:54 PM

I have heard good things about the newer aftermarket kits but unless you are using it as a daily driver, it is hard to justify the cost. For most purposes a well tuned carb will serve you quite well.
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:39 AM

i have heard of those mega squirt,i was just wondering because all the vacume lines and fitting were melted off when i had the short underneath the hood ,melted the dist cap and messed up the carb. i bypassed most of the vacum stuff and plugged off most of it but no vac to the dist or all those emissions stuff it runs but has a high idle and if i adjust in down the motor dies. the motor has 1200 miles on a rebuild and it ran like a scared monkey. could i get the fittings new or at the wrecking yard?
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

i have heard of those mega squirt,i was just wondering because all the vacume lines and fitting were melted off when i had the short underneath the hood ,melted the dist cap and messed up the carb. i bypassed most of the vacum stuff and plugged off most of it but no vac to the dist or all those emissions stuff it runs but has a high idle and if i adjust in down the motor dies. the motor has 1200 miles on a rebuild and it ran like a scared monkey. could i get the fittings new or at the wrecking yard?
Making a big change like EFI before fixing any fundamental problems like this is just asking for trouble. Fix the STOCK parts first, get the car running correctly, THEN make upgrades. Without a properly-functioning baseline, you will have no idea if a problem with a mod (like EFI) is caused by the mod or was something already there and unrelated.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:53 PM

To me, the real question is why? If you have a particular reason for wanting to do this, it's certainly possible. But what is your reason? Economy? Reliability? Power? You just like fuel injection? Depending on the reason, there may be other suggestions and other supporting mods to help you reach your goal, and your goal may be attainable with simpler mods. Without a substantial reason, you're looking at all kinds of potential complications with potentially no benefit. My opinion.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM

i wasn't planning on doing this right away just thinking bout load.
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:30 PM

just thinking bout load.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.