Bad springs from national distributor

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM

Bad springs from national distributor

I purchased front coil springs from advance auto for my 68 cutlass. I purchased them because I was pulling a 6 cyl. from my cutlass and replacing it with a 455. The springs were listed as correct for a 350 with AC. I observed that the springs were longer than the ones I pulled from the car. They also had tighter coils (more coils/inch) than the ones I pulled. My car will have a 455 without AC, and it is a convertible. So I figured the springs would be slung low if anything.
The springs were difficult to get in but I managed. I assumed this was normal since the engine and cooling system would be heavier.
When I took the weight off the engine hoist, the car barely moved with the engine load. If I sit on the front of the car (in addition to the engine) it barely moves. It sits very high in front.
Have any of you experienced this? I tried the old A-arm bound up theory but it didn't help. The trans and radiator still need to be installed but I can't imagine they will weigh more than me sitting on the front end.
Any advice? I'm ready to pull the springs and start cutting.
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Been my experience that if you want the right springs, you have to specify the engine and options they have to support. Don't know if just cutting the springs will do the trick, but someone here will know that.
In 1968 I don't believe there was a 455 for the Cutlass. It was a 400 if I remember right. I would talk to a spring shop about what the best solution is before I start just chopping up parts that might be returnable.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 68conv455
........ The springs were difficult to get in ........
I've always cut one coil out out. Makes them easier to install, and it makes the car sit right.

Norm
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
I've always cut one coil out out. Makes them easier to install, and it makes the car sit right.

Norm
I'll second that. I've found that on an A-body anyway, cutting one coil from the front springs gives the car a nice rake. I've also noticed that most A-body cars sit low in the back anyway. Installation is difficult (and potentially dangerous) without a quality spring compressor. I have a very stout KD brand internal compressor that works great.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have a very stout KD brand internal compressor that works great.
KD makes nice stuff.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
........ most A-body cars sit low in the back anyway ........
The "stance" was popular during the late forties. Gave the "impression" that the car was accelerating, when it was standing still.

That's what my granny told me.

Norm
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM

Couldn't have been your granny that would make her my age and with your knowledge you have to be at least a 100
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Chronological age has very little to do with the acquisition of knowledge.

What one does with the information he/she is exposed to, during that time, has everything to do with it.

Norm
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by 88 coupe

What one does with the information he/she is exposed to,

Norm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
-expose-yourself-to-art.jpg (37.6 KB, 32 views)
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I have no answer to that. Back to the springs. After installing the 455 and the turbo in the 57 my front end came up because the new set up is 200+ lbs lighter then the old 371 and the cast iron hydro. In my case I think it will look better to add a leaf spring to the rear and bring it up. I did this with a floor jack an it looked better. The drive line angle remained ok. Any thoughts?
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM

LOL
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I just had the rear springs replaced in my 72. The new ones had more coils and the car sits higher in the rear now.

I acutally like the higher rear end look. I always wanted it that way. Thought it looked sad with that rear end sagging.

I was told that it would settle a little with age since they were coil springs instead of leaf springs.

I assume that the front springs would settle in also?
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Moment

if the rear springs are fagged out it would exaggerate the height of the new front.

I personaly like the higher look, never did take a shine to the lowered slinky look. Get the front sitting proud and jack the back up a hair, put some 15" Cragar SS all around with a beefy tire in the back, crank up the Skynyrd, pop a cold one and I'm in heaven...
Old November 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 68conv455
I purchased front coil springs from advance auto for my 68 cutlass. I purchased them because I was pulling a 6 cyl. from my cutlass and replacing it with a 455. The springs were listed as correct for a 350 with AC. I observed that the springs were longer than the ones I pulled from the car. They also had tighter coils (more coils/inch) than the ones I pulled. My car will have a 455 without AC, and it is a convertible. So I figured the springs would be slung low if anything.
The springs were difficult to get in but I managed. I assumed this was normal since the engine and cooling system would be heavier.
When I took the weight off the engine hoist, the car barely moved with the engine load. If I sit on the front of the car (in addition to the engine) it barely moves. It sits very high in front.
Have any of you experienced this? I tried the old A-arm bound up theory but it didn't help. The trans and radiator still need to be installed but I can't imagine they will weigh more than me sitting on the front end.
Any advice? I'm ready to pull the springs and start cutting.
I would wait till you have everything together, let it sit for a few days...drive it and then see how it looks