Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Fiber Concepts OAI hood arrived

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Where were you in '72?

Fiber Concepts OAI hood arrived

Picked it up at the border, Rob also provided springs (OPGI I think). Did a cursory inspection and seems to be a good reproduction, I'll have a better idea when I do a test fit this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3980.jpg (27.4 KB, 248 views)
DSCN3983.jpg (69.2 KB, 182 views)
hood1.jpg (41.4 KB, 173 views)
hood2.jpg (43.2 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by boondocker; February 1st, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM

keep us informed as I would like to add that hood to my 71 rag top. Where in Ottawa are you? I'm south by Manotick.
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Where were you in '72?

I'm in Embrun, your even closer to the border.
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM

know the place well. Use to do deliveries out there in my truck driving days. Now wife and I go to here hair dresser out there. which car shows do you get to in the summer?
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Where were you in '72?

Sad to say I have'nt done any car shows yet I just got into this classic car thing...actually it fell into my lap. Both my brother though are avid car show goers, one has a 68 vette(vert) and the other has an AC cobra.
Attached Images
800+900.jpg (81.7 KB, 85 views)
delarosbil-on-3b-1224x799.jpg (106.5 KB, 77 views)
delarosbil-on-2a-640x487.jpg (100.0 KB, 83 views)
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM

looks like there is some great experiance to call on. Have loved old cars since I could drive -- just never got around to it. Now older better spot with $ and a 4 year old to be a future helper. Need to build my garage this summer and then start. I can't wait!!!
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM

awesome colors on the cobra
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM

Yes, please keep us posted on the hood. I am on the fence myself with this purchase.
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM

boondocker, hope to see you at a car show sometime this summer. I'd be interested in seeing a Fibre Concepts hood in person. Hope to see you too econow.

I only make it to Embrun once a year. Every year I go to Volksfest (VW only car show) held in Embrun.

I've seen that Cobra a few times at car shows and cruise nights (unless there are others in Ottawa).
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Not being a debbie downer here. Is it me or are those scoop openings a little wide and kinda square might be the way the picture was taken.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
boondocker, hope to see you at a car show sometime this summer. I'd be interested in seeing a Fibre Concepts hood in person. Hope to see you too econow.

I only make it to Embrun once a year. Every year I go to Volksfest (VW only car show) held in Embrun.

I've seen that Cobra a few times at car shows and cruise nights (unless there are others in Ottawa).
Hey All,

Do you guys know of anyone selling a 72 steel Hood in the Ottawa area? I dont think OAI is in my budget right now so i'll be looking for a clean replacement for my car.

(well, i'm in Montreal, but heck, ottawa is way closer than ordering from the US).

Cheers,

Tony
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Not being a debbie downer here. Is it me or are those scoop openings a little wide and kinda square might be the way the picture was taken.
Copper, might be the pic. Here's what their web page shows the finished product as on a CS. Looks good to me...and it's your color too!
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Oh that looks nice........... Yeah looks good to me . Man i want a vert so bad.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM

Tony, I don't know of any, but I'll let you know if I here of any.

boondocker, Econow and Tony (if you don't mind a drive to Ottawa), there is going to be a GM-only show in Ottawa this summer.
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
Tony, I don't know of any, but I'll let you know if I here of any.

boondocker, Econow and Tony (if you don't mind a drive to Ottawa), there is going to be a GM-only show in Ottawa this summer.
Cool! Please definitely let me know if you hear of anything.

If my car is plated by then, i'll be there!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by boondocker
Picked it up at the border, Rob also provided springs (OPGI I think). Did a cursory inspection and seems to be a good reproduction, I'll have a better idea when I do a test fit this weekend.
Can I ask how much everything set you back,including what they charged you at the border.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
Where were you in '72?

Np,

'72 "Ram air" hood CHA-442 $795.
YearOne Fiberglass hood springs $83.50
Boxing/Crating $69
Shipping (PA. - NY.) $144.07
UPS depot holding charges $10 (per day charge on freight, I picked it up within the day...so $10)
Border taxes (Ontario @13%) 104.59

The exchange rate will vary and must be factored in (Border taxes are cdn)...I believe we are around par right now.

Total: $1,206.16
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'd like to take a guess....

Originally Posted by bulldog
Can I ask how much everything set you back,including what they charged you at the border.
I'm curious too. I've kind of given up on the OAI idea right now, but this is the one I'd be most likely to buy.
Well I know the hood is 799. Crating is extra. Shipping weight is listed at 45 lbs??, but it's also oversize. I'm going to take a wild card guess that it would be around $1134.89 including duty at the border??? At any rate, it's going to be a ton less than a Thornton or OEM one.

EDIT: you posted the answer while I was typing. Pretty close though....thx for sharing the info. Hope it turns out great!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Where were you in '72?

...Alberta taxes, you're pretty much spot on!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:50 AM

Wow thats not bad at all. Please keep us informed on the fit and finish. This looks like one I'd be interested in. Thanks boondocker.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM

I've got one being done (still!) at the painter's shop. He says that so far it's one of the better - in general - repro fiberglass pieces he's seen. He's still having to put in approx 8 hrs to get it right doing the following
1) Filling low spots
2) Shaving the back lip for mounting the trim
3) Fitting the front "around the top of the grille trims
4) Prepping underside to make it look a little more OEM,
5) Cutting holes for the hood pins
6) Straightening/smoothing the lines around the intakes - these were pretty sloppy
7) Fine tuning to get it mated to the fenders

Will take some pics and post next time I go up to see it. I think it's a better value for a OAI hood if exact correct originality is not required.

Last edited by costpenn; February 2nd, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:05 PM

I find it hard to believe that Thornton's can get that many people interested in purchasing their OAI hoods at those prices. With as many guys that talk about this subject it seems that many are interested in the upgrade, but don't want to put out the big bucks, including me. I am all about quality, but geeezzz. That hood would be approaching $3000 by the time I got it to my door. Hard to justify, especially if you don't have a 442. I could be wrong but it seems they could make more profits over all if they lowered the price and opened up the flood gates! Maybe they don't want to sell that many?

How much is the cost overall do you think the Fiber Concepts hood is after all the adjustments needed to make it fit and look right, $1500 or more?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hey All,

Do you guys know of anyone selling a 72 steel Hood in the Ottawa area? I dont think OAI is in my budget right now so i'll be looking for a clean replacement for my car.

(well, i'm in Montreal, but heck, ottawa is way closer than ordering from the US).

Cheers,

Tony
Are you looking for the ram air hood or a hood with the chrome pcs in the middle?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not all OAI hoods are equal

Originally Posted by hinz57
I find it hard to believe that Thornton's can get that many people interested in purchasing their OAI hoods at those prices. With as many guys that talk about this subject it seems that many are interested in the upgrade, but don't want to put out the big bucks, including me. I am all about quality, but geeezzz. That hood would be approaching $3000 by the time I got it to my door. Hard to justify, especially if you don't have a 442. I could be wrong but it seems they could make more profits over all if they lowered the price and opened up the flood gates! Maybe they don't want to sell that many?

How much is the cost overall do you think the Fiber Concepts hood is after all the adjustments needed to make it fit and look right, $1500 or more?
You're 100% right that most of us don't like is the cost of the hood. But if you go to Thorntons facebook site and look at the amount of planning and resource dedication + milling that was done to get this hood in production, I believe it was well over a million dollars. So, how do you get that money back? You set a break even price on the value of each hood on a projected sales curve. No way Troy's gonna make money on this for many years to come. But at the same time you have to factor into all this the actual production cost to produce and assemble the components, and warehouse it till someone orders it. That's not small potatoes. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4791712&type=1

I remember when Thorntons hoods were 1100.00 from Fusicks. Problem was Troy only had one mold that couldn't keep up with production and the orders far exceeded the supply. So if you ordered one, you weren't even guaranteed you'd see it for a looooong while. I would guess that the order demand was siginificant enough to warrant the cash outlay for developing a new mold. Problem is that it took so long, Glasstek got a jump into the market and started making 'all fibreglass functional air box hoods' and dropped the price to around 560.00 Very affordable, but definitely not 'authentic' and I've heard the quality is not as good. Still - even if you put 15 hours into labor for install and fitment it would be way cheaper than a T.H. The F.C. Hood seems to be a nice in between niche with a nice in between price with better than average fitment.

Even with a Thornton hood, you will still have some bodyshop time involved with fitment, prep and paint so I think that labor has to be discounted a bit. IMO if a shop spends 8 hours with fitment and prep on the hood that's fair. Painting is going to be a lot more depending on the quality and type of paint you select.

If I priced a Thornton hood delivered to my door? It would be more than 3000.00 Crating, weight, oversize truck freight across intl border, duty etc would make it probably close to 3500.00 or more. Fitting/prep/paint? Add another 800 easy up here in CA. Add the OAI hardware and holddowns? Another 700.00 So that hood would cost me in the vicinity of 5,000.00 Gotta shake my head and say "No Thanks".
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Econow
Are you looking for the ram air hood or a hood with the chrome pcs in the middle?
Hey there Econow. I know Tony - he has the same car as I do. The one we were discussing was the steel one with the 'faux' louvers. It could be from 71 or 72 - they were the same.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM

I have seen the facebook site and all the pictures etc. They must have the demand for the hoods to justify all the money spent in development. I'm just pissed off I can't afford that one!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey there Econow. I know Tony - he has the same car as I do. The one we were discussing was the steel one with the 'faux' louvers. It could be from 71 or 72 - they were the same.
I picked up a hood from a junk car with the faux louvers on it. Is that what he is looking for?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I picked up a hood from a junk car with the faux louvers on it. Is that what he is looking for?
Yup, post a pic of it on this thread and PM him to take a look at it. If you guys want to make a deal on it you can do it through PMs. Sound good?

Tony's OEM hood had a fair bit of rust on the subframe. When you post the pics show both the top, bottom and any areas that may have issues. I know that I can speak to you about these issues on Tony's behalf. It will just save both of you guys some time when he gets your message.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

......... I'm just pissed off I can't afford that one!
LOL, stand in line....know exactly how you feel.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Where were you in '72?

I'm doing all the finishing myself, although I would expect the cost of a turn key FC OAI hood all tolled wouldn't be much over $2k (w/o OAI breather assembly). In my mind well worth the $ for that classic muscle car look
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Thanks for getting my back Al! And yes, Allan can definitely speak on my behalf for parts! He recently found me an AWESOME looking bumper, which i shall pick up this evening!

I'm doing all the finishing myself, although I would expect the cost of a turn key FC OAI hood all tolled wouldn't be much over $2k (w/o OAI breather assembly). In my mind well worth the $ for that classic muscle car look
Boondocker and Econow, Please post some pictures of the hoods you guys have, it would be a huge help if i could get it locally in eastern canada rather than ordering through the states.

And while we're here, any other parts you guys have around?

Thanks,

Tony
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM

Thronton's hood are more attractive & demanded by the people with 442's,W30's,W31's,or something else that justifies an OEM or equivalent hood.Unless you have a GM hood,the only other hood out there is Thronton's.The price reflects what it costs to get it that way.I know last time I talked with Troy,before he started this next run,he was telling me it would take another $200,000.00+ to get the next run going,and again,he wasn't sure if it would be worth doing again.I can promise you,he is not making very much on each hood.Everything has a cost,and it all adds-up.I understand that someone with a regular Cutlass can not justify spending $2500.00 on a hood,and that is why the cheaper alternatives are out there.I could have put one of my OEM hoods on my 72 Supreme,but it would not have made it worth any more than if it has the Glasstek that is on it now.It's a different story when you get into the marketable collector cars.It's all about making it look 100% original.If you can afford the big-dollar car,you can afford the pricey parts.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Where were you in '72?

PIC's

My fenders are still under construction so the alignments are moot, although the hood seems to be parallel to the fender lines (pretty much), the outside finish and contours are awesome. As you can see the intake openings are a little rough (easy fix) and the underside has a few jagged edges. Over all i'm happy, and once I get a chance to do the body work (warmer weather) I suspect I'll have my work cutout for me. I would like any good advice on chrome and seal installation from anyone that's been through this before.
Attached Images
DSCN3986.jpg (31.9 KB, 145 views)
DSCN3985.jpg (60.1 KB, 144 views)
DSCN3988.jpg (53.2 KB, 143 views)
DSCN3990.jpg (55.0 KB, 131 views)
DSCN3995.jpg (86.7 KB, 143 views)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM

Looks AWESOME,

Cudos to doing the work yourself, I'm doing the same, start to finish.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM

PIC's

My fenders are still under construction so the alignments are moot, although the hood seems to be parallel to the fender lines (pretty much), the outside finish and contours are awesome. As you can see the intake openings are a little rough (easy fix) and the underside has a few jagged edges. Over all i'm happy, and once I get a chance to do the body work (warmer weather) I suspect I'll have my work cutout for me. I would like any good advice on chrome and seal installation from anyone that's been through this before.

Boondocker - looks great! Nice to know mine isnt the only one where the intake openings are a little rough. I'm still concerned that the height of the intake is a little "short" but I havent measured it closely - might just be a perception issue
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM

Speaking of the intakes, does anyone have some clear, close up shots of an intake opening on an OEM OAI hood ?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by costpenn
Speaking of the intakes, does anyone have some clear, close up shots of an intake opening on an OEM OAI hood ?
this is a hood from Thornton

IMG_0040-2.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0038-1.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by gh5168
this is a hood from Thornton

Thanks for the pics. There does seem to be something significantly different on the "floor" of the FC hood intake area - it has a pretty pronounced step down after it enters the intake - wonder if that's why the opening seems smaller than the Thorton hood?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Where were you in '72?

I still don't see a very good head on pic of the OEM hood (or Thornton for that matter), the white gel coat to black is probably giving the impression of a major step down...it's actually around 1/8". If we could get a image similar to the FC hood posted earlier it would be very helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hey All,

Cheers,

Tony
There was a kid selling a 71-72 original OAI hood on Syracuse CL about two months ago. It needed a bunch of work but I have his contact info if you're interested.

This 72 flat hood for $25 that has been on Syracuse CL forever

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/pts/2813004238.html

I get up up your way every couple of months for work (Northern NY or VT)

Quick Reply: Fiber Concepts OAI hood arrived