Electric Choke on a 69 Q-Jet

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Electric Choke on a 69 Q-Jet

Can you add electric choke to a 7029253? I'd like to restore this carb and run it on my 70 455 motor that has an Edelbrock Performer.

I'm currently running a 7042250 with CV secondary metering rods but it runs a little lean. I'm guessing if I can't add the electric choke I could switch the primary jets and metering rods from the 7029253 into the 7042250 and get just about the same thing

thoughts??

Last edited by allyolds68; September 20th, 2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've been trying to do this for a while now. The biggest problem is that the divorced choke carbs have the vacuum diaphragm that controls secondary air valve opening mounted as part of the choke assembly on the carb. The 1970-up integral choke carbs have this vacuum diaphragm mounted to the fuel bowl. I was hoping to simply remove the early choke assembly and install the integral choke coil housing, but there's no easy way to mount the vacuum diaphragm on the carb.

There are vendors who sell electric choke kits that bolt to the intake for divorced choke applications. They aren't cheap. It's frankly easier to get a core from an integral choke carb and build that.
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've been trying to do this for a while now. The biggest problem is that the divorced choke carbs have the vacuum diaphragm that controls secondary air valve opening mounted as part of the choke assembly on the carb. The 1970-up integral choke carbs have this vacuum diaphragm mounted to the fuel bowl. I was hoping to simply remove the early choke assembly and install the integral choke coil housing, but there's no easy way to mount the vacuum diaphragm on the carb.

There are vendors who sell electric choke kits that bolt to the intake for divorced choke applications. They aren't cheap. It's frankly easier to get a core from an integral choke carb and build that.

It sounds like I'll just switch out the primary jets and metering rods from the 7029253 and use them in the 7042250. I'm glad I didn't pay much for the 7029253
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM

Some Days I'd rather spend the money

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

__________________________________________________ _____

I had Ken at Everyday Performance change my QJet 7028251 to his electric choke using his kit. Its self contained on the carb and just needs electricity.
http://www.everyday-performance.com/electric_choke.htm

It wasn't cheap but my first idea of a hand choke installed when the carburetor was rebuilt didn't prove practical for me. Glad I went with his electric choke kit. Price was $125 for kit and install.

I was sort of bummed out with carb and fuel line issues at that point and just wanted to get it running right and was willing to spend the dollars to make it someone else's problem even if for a little while. On another day in a less frustrated frame of mind I'd have probably bought the kit and done the install myself.
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; September 20th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old September 20th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ _____

I had Ken at Everyday Performance change my QJet 7028251 to his electric choke using his kit. Its self contained on the carb and just needs electricity.
http://www.everyday-performance.com/electric_choke.htm

It wasn't cheap but my first idea of a hand choke installed when the carburetor was rebuilt didn't prove practical for me. Glad I went with his electric choke kit. Price was $125 for kit and install.
$85 (assuming the Olds price is the same as Pontiac/Cadillac) really isn't bad when you consider that a good electric choke kit is around $40