Cam profile

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Cam profile

Does anybody know what's the biggest cam one can go with, without having to change from the stock push rod, rocker pivot bridge combo ?
I have a 74' 455

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I don't, and if you don't get a reply here you might check out realoldspower.com They have a section for engine building. A warning though, some of the ROP guys can be downright rude, so don't take it personal. I visit several car sites and the guys here are much more friendly and helpful than the other sites I've found. John
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I don't, and if you don't get a reply here you might check out realoldspower.com They have a section for engine building. A warning though, some of the ROP guys can be downright rude, so don't take it personal. I visit several car sites and the guys here are much more friendly and helpful than the other sites I've found. John
Thanks for the heads up.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:29 AM

I am currently running a .499 lift cam in my 4-speed car with stock ' type " rockers. I use the Elgin or Pioneer rockers that have a steel strap and individual pivots instead of the stock Alum. bridge. That way I can adjust the valvetrain somewhat using shims. I always convert to a CM pushrod with any cam change. Let me know what your engine combo is looking like, and I would be glad to make some cam suggestions.
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 70Wcars
I am currently running a .499 lift cam in my 4-speed car with stock ' type " rockers. I use the Elgin or Pioneer rockers that have a steel strap and individual pivots instead of the stock Alum. bridge. That way I can adjust the valvetrain somewhat using shims. I always convert to a CM pushrod with any cam change. Let me know what your engine combo is looking like, and I would be glad to make some cam suggestions.
Being that this is a low compression engine, I would like to go with a camshaft that produces a little more cylinder pressure. I don't want it to lope much, as this is going in a full size car. I was think of something with about 210/217 duration and about 480/490 lift. I just got thru buying a complete set of the stock aluminum pivot bridge, and I want to keep the original stock push rods. It's been years since I messed with an Oldsmobile, I use to know the answer to this question, now I'm all small block chevy

Thanks for all the help !!
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM

That should be a good choice for some power and easy on the V-train. If you need to adjust the lifter pre-load, you can cut the alum pivots down on a belt sander a few thou. Just be careful not to have one side too much shorter than the other, or they will crack from the offset. Voice of experience here.