leak around the linkage

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM

leak around the linkage

i have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convt w 425 2bbl and a i think a 400 hydromatic trans. ive noticed that i have a small drip coming out the drivers side of the transmission where the linkage goes into the side of it. i haven't torn into it yet to see if there is a seal in there. does anyone know if there is a seal in it? and do you have to drop the transmission pan to get to it or can you pull the linkage out and change it from that side. thanks chris
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dynamic88
i have a 65 olds dynamic 88 convt w 425 2bbl and a i think a 400 hydromatic trans. ive noticed that i have a small drip coming out the drivers side of the transmission where the linkage goes into the side of it. i haven't torn into it yet to see if there is a seal in there. does anyone know if there is a seal in it? and do you have to drop the transmission pan to get to it or can you pull the linkage out and change it from that side. thanks chris
Yes, there's a seal around the shaft and it does install from the outside. The problem is getting the old seal off without scratching the shaft (which would destroy the new seal in short order). Kent-Moore has a special tool for pulling the old seal with the shaft in place, but good luck finding one. One trick is to wrap the shaft in brass shim stock (or at least tough plastic sheet) to prevent marring it while prying out the old seal.
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM

so if i unhook the linkage i should be able to pull the rod out of the side of the transmission. do they come out fairly easy. how easy is it to find gaskets for those do you know?
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dynamic88
so if i unhook the linkage i should be able to pull the rod out of the side of the transmission. do they come out fairly easy. how easy is it to find gaskets for those do you know?
No, the rod (shaft) does not come out of the trans. You need to remove the formed arm that attaches to the shaft. There is a nut on the shaft that can be removed to allow the arm to come off. The shaft installs from the inside. That's the whole point of my previous post. The seal is a circular rubber seal that slips over the shaft and presses into the trans case. There is a special Kent-Moore puller that slips between the shaft and the lip of the seal to allow you to pull it out without scratching the shaft. Without this tool, you need to be very careful to protect the shaft if you try to pry the seal out with a small screwdriver, awl, etc. Once the old seal is off, verify the shaft isn't scored or scratched, slip the new seal over the shaft, and seat it with the appropriate diameter deep socket and a hammer.

Here's one source for the seal:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=8792S
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

okay thanks. ill have to check my book to see if i can find a part number. would make it easier to locate and to make sure i get the right seal. chris
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM

i took and replaced that seal today. you were right, it is a job. cross my fingers and hope it works. thanks for the help. chris