Switch Pitch converter

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
ate glue as a child

Switch Pitch converter

iI picked up a 65 th-400 this weekend for the some of hard parts to rebuild my th-375. turned out to be a switch pitch. I think i would like to use it. What should i do with the converter? I havent seen anywhere that sells new or rebuilt switch pitch converters. should i just take it to my local transmission shop and have them flush it? Does anyone rebuild these things? Cost of a rebuild?

I already took the trans apart down to the center support and it looks clean no metal fillings or junk in fluid. fwiw
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaysun
iI picked up a 65 th-400 this weekend for the some of hard parts to rebuild my th-375. turned out to be a switch pitch. I think i would like to use it. What should i do with the converter? I havent seen anywhere that sells new or rebuilt switch pitch converters. should i just take it to my local transmission shop and have them flush it? Does anyone rebuild these things? Cost of a rebuild?
P.A.E Enterprises, Inc.
4401 Turf Rd. Bldg E
El Paso, TX. 79938
915.857.4727 -> Tech Line 8-10am and 4-5pm MST M-F
www.paeenterprises.com
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM

If you decide not to use it, let me know, I am interested. Do you know where another one may be, complete? One of the members has one, but is missing the sp converter and electrical connector.
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coldwar
...the smaller convertor from a Oldsmobile two-speed Jetaway will work, and provide somewhat higher flash stall speed in both vane positions -
It's not clear that higher stall speed is better. You want the lowest stall speed possible that lets you launch the car. Once the car is in motion, the higher stall speed simply results in wasted HP due to slippage. The whole point of the switch pitch is to provide the higher stall speed for acceleration while reverting to the lower stall speed for more efficient operation at speed. Modern torque converter clutches take this concept to it's ultimate development.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
ate glue as a child

I woke up way to early yesterday and went through the rest of the trans except for the pump. looks clean and i probally could of used it as is, if it had a spedo hole. The smallest converter that pae sells (3000) seems a little high for my car. I'll give the stock converter a shot and see how it does. I'll see if a local shop has the right equipment and expertise to check and flush just the converter. I just don't want to fubar it, drilling holes or leaving solvent in.

d2_willys I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya. do you need just the hard parts or the whole transmission? pae sells a conversion kit. kinda expensive tho.

thanks everyone

jaysun

Old April 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM

switch pitch converters

Dacco Inc. out of Crosseville, TN. 1-800-443-226. Theirs is 1600/ 2400 and they told me it was 86.00. I was shocked. Probably with a core? I think the kickdown is the vertical prong on the trans.

George Landis