cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM

cruise control not working

not sure if this is in the right sub forum. please let me know and move if not....

I have a 1993 Oldsmobile 98 Regency. The cruise control is not working and I am looking for fingers to point the direction to start troubleshooting. There is no sign of movement from when the button is pushed. Thanks.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

First thing I would check is the fuse.
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by R0tten
There is no sign of movement from when the button is pushed. Thanks.
Movement of what, the pedal or the button?
If this ran on vacuum, I would check to see if it will still hold vacuum. Sometimes the solenoids or brake pedal release valve seals shrink or deteriorate.
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Movement of what, the pedal or the button?
If this ran on vacuum, I would check to see if it will still hold vacuum. Sometimes the solenoids or brake pedal release valve seals shrink or deteriorate.
I'm sorry, what I meant was is there is no visible attempt for the cruise to work when pushing cruise button. No moving parts, no noise, no indication of it working or even trying to work.

I'll check the fuse and vacuum/valve first. Thank you

Last edited by R0tten; January 7th, 2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: gammar
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:01 PM

I looked everywhere for the cruise control fuse. I also checked the manual with no luck. Can someone help me find it?
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't have a shop manual or a similar car so I can't help you on that one. Sorry
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Sure you did not just overlook it in the manual? My '86 has some good explanations in the back section for service stations. Sometimes things can be hard to find in those books. I do not have any manuals near that year, but hopefully someone here does.
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Fuse is in the relay center. Its fuse number 5 its a 15 amp.
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok, assuming they didn't change the fuse blocks much I have the Owners Manual for my 1995 Regency Elite here. On Page 6-56 (Right Side Fuse Panel) the Cruise control fuse also manges Misc. Engine controls. The fuse panel requires you to remove the sound insulator on the right side of the passenger foot well to replace the fuses.

Once you've accessed that panel, the CC fuse is located on the bottom left of the block. (there are a whole bunch of relays located above and to the right of the fuses. Look at the bottom left. Fuse positions are numbered 1-12 in my diagram. #5 is the middle fuse on the top row of the 12 fuses. (the numbering goes vertical 1-4, middle row 5-8, right side row 9-12 if that helps)
CC is a 15 amp fuse.

Just a note: according to the 95 98 manual, fuse positions 4, 9, 10, and 12 are not used. I hope this matches up with your car.
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the help. The fuse is good. We tried to vacuum test but no luck.

The pressure did not build up when testing... is there a wire we have to trip to make it hold a vacuum, or something
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Cruise controls are not supposed to operate below 25 MPH so you should not see any movement while sitting in your driveway. Depending on whether it is factory or aftermarket your troubleshooting will be different. Aftermarket cruise control should have an electric disable connected to the brake light wire. I'm not positive but that late year model should also have electric disable but I don't know where the connection will be. Make sure you have correct brake light and turn signal bulbs. If it is vacuum operated the diaphragm could be damaged if all hoses are connected and sound. Another simple fix is to find the connector inside the steering column and make sure it is not loose. Find the chassis ground wire and make sure it is secure. All later cruise controls use the VSS or vehicle speed sensor wire for speed control. It should be pulsing between 6~8000 times per mile. If your speedometer is working your VSS should be in tact. I can check my aftermarket install manuals tomorrow and see if it lists a place to test it. At 8K pulses/mile it will pulse on and off while rolling the car about 10 feet or so.
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Cruise controls are not supposed to operate below 25 MPH so you should not see any movement while sitting in your driveway. Depending on whether it is factory or aftermarket your troubleshooting will be different. Aftermarket cruise control should have an electric disable connected to the brake light wire. I'm not positive but that late year model should also have electric disable but I don't know where the connection will be. Make sure you have correct brake light and turn signal bulbs. If it is vacuum operated the diaphragm could be damaged if all hoses are connected and sound. Another simple fix is to find the connector inside the steering column and make sure it is not loose. Find the chassis ground wire and make sure it is secure. All later cruise controls use the VSS or vehicle speed sensor wire for speed control. It should be pulsing between 6~8000 times per mile. If your speedometer is working your VSS should be in tact. I can check my aftermarket install manuals tomorrow and see if it lists a place to test it. At 8K pulses/mile it will pulse on and off while rolling the car about 10 feet or so.
Thanks for the tips! This is an OEM cruise control. We tried to perform a vacuum test on the servo but there was no pressure. We were wondering if there needed to be some electric current for the servo to hold a vacuum...?
Old January 12th, 2014, 12:22 AM

1983 is the last year for the old style system with the transducer,the most common problems are the switch and transducer,of course if you have good power and grounds and no vacumn leaks inc deact sw.
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:21 AM

It sounds like yours is vacuum operated then.
If it is like the one in the mid-late 80's cars then yes, one of the solenoids needs to close before vacuum will build up in it.
Check for a vacuum hose going from the transducer unit to the brake pedal. If you find one, it should hold vacuum with the brake pedal up (non-depressed). When it is pressed, the vacuum is released. These valves have seals that can shrink and let it not hold vacuum.
If this looks okay, and the fuse is okay, check the wiring from the stalk switch to the electronic module for damage and unseated connectors.
If all that is okay, the transducer under the hood will be my next suspect.
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:49 PM

I have a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Superem S and my curise control has stopped working.It was working off and on for awhile,but now it's stopped.Repalced the fuse,but still not working.What's next?How much will it cost to fix it?