Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Speedo Cable Core Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2016, 05:00 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Speedo Cable Core Lubrication

1970 Cutlass, TH400

I need to lubricate my speedo cable but I dread bending my back and putting my fat fingers up under the dash to disconnect it from the speedometer.

Can the cable core be removed from the transmission end of the cable? Of course, I will want to put it back in as well.
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Peter... I don't have the answer to your question but a suggestion on getting to the cable at the speedo. Pull the speedo from the dash and you will a access with out breaking your back or fingers.
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by pcard
1970 Cutlass, TH400

I need to lubricate my speedo cable but I dread bending my back and putting my fat fingers up under the dash to disconnect it from the speedometer.

Can the cable core be removed from the transmission end of the cable? Of course, I will want to put it back in as well.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to get it out from the bottom due to the way the cable is made. Lubrication of the cable is covered in the 1970 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual on pages 0-14, 4B-24, and 4B-25. Perhaps you could employ someone who can more easily access the area under the dash to loosen and reconnect the cable casing from the speedometer. Be sure not to kink the casing or the cable. Once the casing is free from the speedometer head it can be positioned so the cable can be more easily be removed, lubricated, and replaced in the casing.
Old February 6th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is a speedo cable lubrication tool available. I stumbled onto a set at Carlisle and grabbed it. You can screw it onto the cable from the lower end and pump away with a grease gun.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...cator-609467-1
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:24 AM

Joe,this same tool is available from Mid American Motorworks (Corvette Parts) for $20, if anyone else is interested in purchasing one. Sure looks like a better and easier way to lubricate one! Thanks, Larry
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Joe,this same tool is available from Mid American Motorworks (Corvette Parts) for $20,
That's the link I posted above.
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Sorry, Joe, I didn't notice the info below the picture until I had posted my reply.I was busy looking at the picture,and wondering why someone hadn't thought of that a long time ago.
Larry
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Sorry, Joe, I didn't notice the info below the picture until I had posted my reply.I was busy looking at the picture,and wondering why someone hadn't thought of that a long time ago.
Larry
Actually, these were thought of a long time ago. The set I found at Carlisle is an ancient Lisle tool that is long out of production. Cars haven't had speedo cables for decades, so production of the tools was dropped.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:12 AM

That seems like a good way to get way too much grease in that cable. The one thing I recall about speedo cable lube is you must NOT get the top few inches drenched or the lube can wreak havoc in your speedo.

So, you have to have the top end off anyhow to watch for too much grease.... might as well just extract n lube from above.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess I am fortunate to still have a good back and be able to get up under the dash at my age. For me it is a lot easier and less trouble to disconnect the cable behind the speedo and pull the cable out and lubricate it as I slide it back into the housing. Jacking the car up (I don't have a lift), putting it on stands and then disconnecting the speedo cable is a lot more work and a lot nastier. This is just me. That is a neat tool and I have never seen one.
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
That seems like a good way to get way too much grease in that cable. The one thing I recall about speedo cable lube is you must NOT get the top few inches drenched or the lube can wreak havoc in your speedo.

So, you have to have the top end off anyhow to watch for too much grease.... might as well just extract n lube from above.
I've had these tools in my boxes for years. Absolutely, you can"t just "pump away" you could pump a whole tube in! It really depends on the car, if you are talking 70-72 Cutlass it's not that tough to pull the instrument panel. My 70 GS is pretty tough to pull that panel. You can't even get close to the cable w/o a LOT of work. Old cars from the 50's are easier, they were more "serviceable". Still...if you use a mini grease gun, and don't get carried away, it's ok...I guess. IF I worked on OTHER people's cars I might use it.........
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:27 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks Joe, this tool will make my life easier I think.
I have to lift the car anyway to lubricate the front end and I will hook this up at the same time.
I have a spare cable somewhere and I will experiment with that to see how many strokes it takes to top that one up.
I will let you all know how it works out.
Old February 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM

I have to lift the car anyway to lubricate the front end and I will hook this up at the same time.
I have a spare cable somewhere and I will experiment with that to see how many strokes it takes to top that one up.
The service manual is a bit confusing on how much grease to use. In one place it says to lubricate the entire length to eliminate noise. In the periodic maintenance section it says to only do the lower 2/3 of the cable. The speedometer cable grease specified is A.C. ST640, A.C. 1518, or equivalent. Be careful. Too much could make a mess.
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:54 AM

How many pumps have ended up using? My squeeky speedo drives me nuts. Thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by matefis
How many pumps have ended up using? My squeeky speedo drives me nuts. Thanks!
Be careful. The squeak could be in the head as well as the cable.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 06:48 AM

Thanks Joe-just ordered 1 to keep in stock just in case.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 08:16 AM

Yeah, I realize that, but I believe that you're not allowed to lube the upped 1/3 anyway so if you lube it to recommended lower 2/3 and it sill squeaks it's time for new cable.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 09:05 AM

Lubed many of these by disconnecting at the speedo, removing the cable completely, cleaning the cable in a solvent, let it dry and applying white lithium grease to the cable. We did not lube the end of the cable closest to the speedo, i.e., the last foot or so.

If you use the tool to lube it from below be sparing with the amount of grease used. As mentioned avoid getting grease into the speedo housing.

Good luck!!!
Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:06 AM

Sugar Bear,

could you share your way of pulling out the speedo cable and it's reinstall? The cables are not expensive but what I am worried of is the disassembly of the dash and possible complication with cable routing through the dash and fire wall.

Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:44 PM

Unclip or unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer by reaching up under the dash. If it is clipped in push the cable toward the speedo, release the clip then pull the cable away. This can be difficult to access and may require some dash disassembly, I'm not certain on the 70 Cutlass especially with AC. Younger people make this look painless, it isn't as easy for me as it once was.

Once disconnected, pull the casing away from the speedo a few inches. With needle nose pliers gently pull the cable out of the casing. Clean the cable, lube the cable except for the upper foot. Reinstall.

Good luck!!!

Old August 3rd, 2020, 09:23 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Unclip or unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer by reaching up under the dash. If it is clipped in push the cable toward the speedo, release the clip then pull the cable away. This can be difficult to access and may require some dash disassembly, I'm not certain on the 70 Cutlass especially with AC. Younger people make this look painless, it isn't as easy for me as it once was.

Once disconnected, pull the casing away from the speedo a few inches. With needle nose pliers gently pull the cable out of the casing. Clean the cable, lube the cable except for the upper foot. Reinstall.

Good luck!!!
I had to do this to a couple of my cars back in the 70s and I did it exactly as you described. My 71 CS speedometer cable is now beginning to squeak and squeal and I've been putting off the inevitable. I better get on it before it really gets worse and breaks. As I recall though, I thought I could remove the clock and reach behind the speedometer/odomoter to grab the cable. Oh well, in any case I know it works better if I have a flashlight and a mirror to spend a couple minutes visualizing it before reaching in. Glad I just read this thread.
Old August 4th, 2020, 05:29 AM

You guys with the 70-72 cars have it made! The speedo comes out from the front, without trying to remove screws from under the dash. It’s a PITA on the earlier cars to do anything under the dash.
Old August 4th, 2020, 06:56 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

So grease at the back of the gauge and at the trans? That's a great cable lubricator tool...may need to order one of those.
Old August 4th, 2020, 10:04 AM

No. No grease near gauge. Bad!
Old August 4th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Disconnect from the back of the speedo, leave the casing/housing in place. Pull the cable out of the housing. Clean and lube the cable not the casing, do not lube the last foot at the speedo end and reinstall.

Good luck!!!