68-69 Quadrajet the same ?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM

68-69 Quadrajet the same ?

Hey, I finally broke down and just bought a rebuild quadrajet from holley through schucks. I ordered one for my 69, but they gave me a 68 model. Is this model different at all from the 69 model ? if not, im not worried about it. thanks
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

How does this look ? any info appreciated, i just want to know if this carb will be good for my engine. thanks again

carb005.jpg

carb004.jpg

carb003.jpg

carb002.jpg
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

Sorry one more lol !

carb001.jpg
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Oldsdruid

As long as the choke and throttle linkage hook up to what's on the car, you'll be OK.

You've got what I think is the best quality jobber reman out there. I think Holley's reman shop is a bit more conscientious about what is SUPPOSED to be in a carb than the others, who might just grab whatever's in the parts pile when they assemble it.

I've had great luck with these, in both 4GC and QuadraJet applications. One thing I've noticed is they tend to set idle mixture a bit rich on a Q-Jet. I've had to reset it on all three of their Q-Jets I've used. I mean it's rich enough to smell inside the car...

Other than that, pretty much plug and play.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM

Ok, i figured out that the whole 68-69 thing is fine. but now what im wondering is, do i need a plate to cover the hole on the back ? im pretty sure i do, because its not plugged at all, and would cause a vaccum leak. Also the bracket for the flaps on top for the secondarys (the loop that connects to the vaccum canister) is a little tweaked i think. what do you guys think ? the piece that im talkign about, if you look in the last picture is in the top left, and is the little silver loop that connects to the long black rod that goes into the vaccum canister.
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Just make sure there is no binding of the linkage. That linkage keeps the secondary air valve closed, pretty much being pulled on all of the running time.

Do not worry about the hole.

That's a sweetheart of a carburetor!
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Oldsdruid

The hole in the back of the carb is for a hot idle compensator. All Q-Jets have it in the float bowl casting, but it's not opened on all of them. It's for air conditioned cars.

Theory of operation: it has a bimetal spring in there that has a small cover attached. The cover fits over the hole you're worried about, and if underhood temp gets high when car is idling, that spring will snap the cover off the hole and allow extra air into the carb to lean the idle mixture out some. All this would be behind a metal plate that covers the entire rectangular opening.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM

so do i need a plate ? and where do i get one if so ? thanks