Rigid vs. Flexible Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Rigid vs. Flexible Fuel Lines

I have a 72 Cutlass with the original 350/4bbl. The motor is in very good shape (thankfully) but I'm going to change the Rochester out for a 4150.

My question is about fuel lines; what is the pro/con argument for rigid lines from the pump to the carb, versus braided flex lines?

Or really, is there any?

Thanks!
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:00 AM
this is not my car lol

rigid lines wont rub through and leak...

you're only running around 10 psi of pressure so i'm not sure an actual braided hose is required here.

i don't know if there are any advantages to running a rubber hose in regards to keeping your fuel cool. probably marginal, if any..
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM

I can think of only one possible drawback. If you use E85 fuel which I think contains elements which can corrode rubber over time. At the very least it might gum up parts. Now that said perhaps the flex line rubber is purposely made to be 100% resistant to those chemicals, but just thought I would mention it.
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:36 AM

I have had 2 year old chinesium rubber "fuel injection" hose rupture under that low 10psi. Crap developed a 1" split with no other cracks. It was hard as a rock though... It was bought at a local auto parts store. Rubber is not the stuff it used to be.
I would never advise rubber for the pressure side.

Rigid will last and be safe MANY years. A tad harder to install and a little more expensive, but well worth it. Do it right and forget about it. Rigid looks better, too.
If rubber adds any beneficial insulation, just slit some rubber line and slip it on over the outside of the rigid line...
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:45 AM

There is Another Option

I have been using AN-03 through AN-08 for most all my fluid connections. This includes brake, transmission, oil, and now fuel lines. There are either SS braided for more hostile areas and very good multiple layered reinforced rubber type for otherwise areas.

They have the advantages of both worlds (solid tubes and rubber hose) without the disadvantages as described above. They may cost more depending on how you buy or make them. I make my own AN-03 through AN-06, and purchase the AN-08 and larger made to my specs. I do use some AN-03 solid lines for my brakes. You can always add additional heat protection where necessary.

The best part is that they hold up to the highest requirements and the worst environments in the professional automotive circuits. You just need to know how to install them. They are also re-usable and come in a vast variety of fittings. Check them out if you do not believe me.

I am not a sales rep, affiliate with, or benefit from any sales in this regard.

Last edited by JamesPDX; May 10th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.