350 w/#2heads,push rods

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM

350 w/#2heads,push rods

I have a stock 350 1975, wanting to install #2heads on it. have the push rod holes opened up for 39 from 45 degree clearance, what push rod do I use? 75 stock one's or 65 330 one's? help,,,jim
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM

I have a stock 350 1975, wanting to install #2heads on it. have the push rod holes opened up for 39 from 45 degree clearance, what push rod do I use? 75 stock one's or 65 330 one's? help,,,jim
Hi Jim,
Glad to see it coming along.

A few questions first...
Have the heads been rebuilt, and are the valve stem tips set to the factory height?
Have the heads been surfaced?

The lifters are the .842 like the 330 units, but are not laid down as much as the 330 units. I would start with the short 350 pushrods (8.234"), that should put you pretty close to where you want to be. Make sure that you have the correct preload before the rocker pivot bottoms out on the stud-should be .050-.075". That means the pushrod should get the snug that far from being bottomed out on the stud, while the cam is NOT on lift.

These studs are not adjustable, they have a shoulder, and WASHER (do NOT forget the washers!!! they go right on top of the stud's shoulder) that the fulcrum bottoms out on. You will not be able to see it, so you will need to check how many turns from push rod snug-until bound tight, that it takes, until the fulcrum is locked down. It should be no more than 1 turn, hopefully 1/2.
You CAN double up on washers if it is too tight (more than 1 turn), or run the longer pushrods if the pushrods/rocker arms never get snug before the nuts get tight.
Hope this helps.
If you run into any issues, you can pm me, and we'll talk.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; August 15th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Hi fellow post car, still have your yellow 65? to anwser your questions. no I have'nt gotten them done and still trying to decide if its going to be worth the time and money to do it as the car isnt raced in anyway in fact am thinking of putting in a stock 75 cam, lifters and push rods though am thinking there are two different length's of push rods, dont have either one, do have the bridges and bolts. maybe you may know or can tell me a web site to get that info,look forward hearing from you and thanks ....jim
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Mine is a blue 65 post, was tan.
Here is autozone for a 70 350:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...63949_28199_0_
Csk website, 70 350:
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...pe=155&PTSet=A
Verify length as 8.234 before you order.
65 only, #2 heads use studs, bridges, seperate fulcrums, washers, and non-locking nuts. Let me know if you need rocker parts, or a pushrod to ensure correct length.
Even if it is a stocker, I will always say...do the heads!!!
Like the stock cams, love a smooth idle.
Jim
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:41 AM

Jim, would you yourself do #2 heads with a stock 75 cam? and you have went with new paint? thought awhile back seen a side shot of yours in lt tan . got it back togather yet?...jim
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 65cutty
Jim, would you yourself do #2 heads with a stock 75 cam? and you have went with new paint? thought awhile back seen a side shot of yours in lt tan . got it back togather yet?...jim
Why not? I, personally, used more camshaft. The more you drive it, the less dramatics you will want.
I was going to use my #2 heads with the 403 short block of mine, but it seems that since the previous owner liked to run this car in the heat with no water, both heads were cracked. I would have loved to have had the factory valve gear, sporting on the original heads, on top of another 73 cubic inches.

I recently had the car painted, and now it is getting a new interior. This has been a complete summer long process for me, I will be glad to get it done. Then install the 403.
Only previous pic's were in primer.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; August 19th, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM

jim, we have decited to put the 350 to stock as in cam and lifter's, push rods.but I dont know what site to go to for ordering them. dont think olds offered much in cam selction in 1975 but maybe a w-32 dont know as compression wont allow to much of anything thats the reason for the post in the first place, we: meaning the wife want to travel some with the car as cruise ins here are getting routeen, have the lunati cam in it now but compression wont allow it to work like it suppose to, have a good set of # 2 heads just need to rebuild them. anyway we like your color and we to are thinking of have the interior redone again, what color have you decited to go on your interior? better go now will talk at you soon...jim
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:24 PM

jim, we have decited to put the 350 to stock as in cam and lifter's, push rods.but I dont know what site to go to for ordering them. dont think olds offered much in cam selction in 1975 but maybe a w-32 dont know as compression wont allow to much of anything thats the reason for the post in the first place, we: meaning the wife want to travel some with the car as cruise ins here are getting routeen, have the lunati cam in it now but compression wont allow it to work like it suppose to, have a good set of # 2 heads just need to rebuild them. anyway we like your color and we to are thinking of have the interior redone again, what color have you decited to go on your interior? better go now will talk at you soon...jim
I thought you already had a stock cam for it, sorry.
I like stockers, I just would not pay a premium for older technology.
I would pm cutlassefi, or captnjim on the cam, many vendors will have a suitable cam that makes better power, idles just as good, and will get better mileage for less money, if you do not have a stock cam in your hands right now.

Here is a pic of the inside, on the opposite door edge you can see the contrasting silver already shot on it. The interior will be blue and grey to match. I think the silver, blue and chrome really pops.
Jim

By warheadrocket at 2010-07-05

Last edited by Warhead; August 25th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM

jim, thats a nice color. silver, blue and grey interior really will look nice noticed the steering wheel thats cool looking to. and the dash looks to be done lotta work there as I just redid mine black though still can appreciate the labor thats involed. will try to pm the guys on there thoughts for the cam and thank you for keeping a post car up and running....jim
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM

jim, thats a nice color. silver, blue and grey interior really will look nice noticed the steering wheel thats cool looking to. and the dash looks to be done lotta work there as I just redid mine black though still can appreciate the labor thats involed. will try to pm the guys on there thoughts for the cam and thank you for keeping a post car up and running....jim
Thanks for the kind words.
Actually, the dash is not yet in there, but OMG yes on all of the work that goes into it. The steering wheel is 1000% better in the picture than it is in real life, you can see all of the AZ heat cracks in the pic. Big uns.
I have yet to figure out what I am going to do for a steering wheel.

Open to suggestions.

We did get the headliner, and carpeting in today. The sail panels are half done, but now I need to order a new dome light mount, and lens, along with half a dozen other items. Figure...$100...again.
He's going to start on the seats next week!!!

How about a few more pictures of yours???
Jim
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM

jim, do ypu need a decent steering wheel, I have a black delux one that has very minor crack where the arms meet the hub and it has the brushed alui horn and the button is very nice you can have it if you want, just pay shipping, ill see if my friend would load a pick of it for you no promise there though....jim
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM

jim I have eldelbrocks 7111 intake no damage at all, threads are all excelent, and a lunatti 484/512 lift cam thats brand new if you need any of these. let me know...jim
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks Jim,
Black deluxe wheel sounds nice, except 1 thing...it's black.
If it were blue, that would be a different story.
What would REALLY be cool is if I could find a rally 4 spoke wheel in a dark blue, kinda like the ones they had in the late 70's G body cars, and Starfire.

Have the engine just about finished.
403 with shaved #5 heads sporting 2" intakes.
I have a stock aluminum A4 intake for it, and I think that is what I'm going to use. Just need to clean some of the runners, and open up the plenum.

I'm just having fun hunting down all the small stuff in the OPG, and Year1 catalogs. Just burned another $220 on the credit card today.

More to come.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; September 7th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:22 AM

I know what you mean! my car cars plate is nevadun and I mean it. want to thank you again for the info and to captjim for his input, I went with grants signature steering wheel for mine and really like it. better go....jim